Painting a rod tip

• dld24

Has anyone ever painted the tip of their ice rods so they can see it better?? If so what type of paint worked best for you?? When I’m in my shack my black rod tip blends right in with the walls, so I was thinking of painting the tips (like the Tucr noodles)…Thanks for any info

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have painted several ice rod tips ,it is best to do with the guides off but with a little care one do it with guides on.

Testors/Pactra RC Car spray paint works very well,first you must LIGHTLY sand the area(400-600 grit),then apply a white backing color ,then spray tip any color you choose.

If it were me I would use Competition Orange, first remember use very light coats of each and let dry for 24 hours before applying another coat, when desired color is applied use a clear to cover the area painted.

The paint I mentioned is a lacquer paint and is very durable if applied and dried right !

JMHO Jeff

BBKK
    IA

If its a cheap rod then some bright fingernail polish put on lightly should do the trick. Might have to reapply it every once n a while.

If its an expensive rod, I’d let someone who knows what they are doing take it in and professionally paint it.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

I have painted several ice rod tips ,it is best to do with the guides off but with a little care one do it with guides on.

Testors/Pactra RC Car spray paint works very well,first you must LIGHTLY sand the area(400-600 grit),then apply a white backing color ,then spray tip any color you choose.

If it were me I would use Competition Orange, first remember use very light coats of each and let dry for 24 hours before applying another coat, when desired color is applied use a clear to cover the area painted.

The paint I mentioned is a lacquer paint and is very durable if applied and dried right !

JMHO Jeff

Listen to Jeff. He’s a master at painting rods. Very good work.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

If you want a cheep solution to see if you like the idea of a painted rod tip try whiteout. If it isn’t what you want just rub/scrape it off. You may even have a bottle in your junk drawer from the days before auto correct.

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Use Krylon Fusion. It is what we for rod building. It is flexible and good for fiberglass and graphite.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Use Krylon Fusion. It is what we for rod building. It is flexible and good for fiberglass and graphite.

My experiences with Krylon Fusion is it doesnt have as durable of a finish as the Testors/Pactra Lacquer paint does even after a clear coat.

Maybe I am doing something wrong ?

JMHO Jeff

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I thought those expensive rods were so sensitive that watching the tip was not necessary? If I was in need of painting the tip of a rod, I would use blaze orange spray paint and respray as needed

dld24

these aren’t real expensive, plus they are a site rod not a feel rod…Thanks for all the tips

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Maybe just a small strip of blaze orange duck tape would suffice??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.