Looking for other opinions…..

• Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

I’m thinking of selling my last years model Otter Pro Cabin 900 Denier. To upgrade to the Otter Lodge. My reasonings is with two guys & each others gear it seems at little congested at most times. It’s typically 50/50 wether or not I’m by myself fishing, & when I am the unit is perfect.
    Now if I do sell ,I’m I gonna regret the weight difference with pulling out by myself at times & to top it off loading it in the back of my pick up box which is only a 5’6″ box which means it’s gonna be sitting on top of tail gate.

Just looking to see if there is other member in same situation or not, and there opinions.

Thanks.

mike ice

If your pulling it out by hand, by yourself, I’d keep the cabin and downsize or rethink the gear you bring with.
    I have a lodge and cabin. The lodge is a very roomy 2 man but I couldn’t imagine dragging that beast by myself.
    Or get the Lodge for 2 man and get Scout for solo trips.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I agree, find a way to share gear with your buddy to make more space. Lifting that thing into the truck by yourself could be a chore.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I know the boat you are in, its nice to have guys to fish with but sharing your gear or buying cuz they dont have it gets spend…
    When you fish tandem-
    Do you hole hop with it fishing one hole each?
    Or sit in spots for long times fishing 2 holes each?
    When I had my cabin it was GREAT for one man, ok for 2 men fishing one hole each and was bad to fish walleyes with 2guys and 4 holes in the house.

I now have a lodge. Its a B to load in a truck alone now that im “old”. I have to empty it. 2 years ago I built a large receiver hitch rack for it and that is a dream now for one guy to load.

Someday I will probably buy another cabin when my crappy Clam Keani bites the dust. It was nice for a solo or 2 man/2 hole hopper.

If you get Lodge you may want to look into the rack for when you are solo. FYI, I had to add lights to mine as the Lodge covered my trucks tail lights.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Last year I purchased a command post pop up tent to use when someone went out with me. The room was awesome and two guys could have 6 holes 5 feet apart from each other. Set up and take down was a little longer than my Frabill Predator but after awhile wasn’t costing me that much time moving spots, maybe 5-10 min. The added room was a very fair trade off for the time. and it is allot lighter to move around. I have been using the predator for solo fishing but am thinking about getting a single cube pop up for this season. And the cost is a plus also. Weight is not a issue for me, I have a quad and trailer that can handle what ever setup I decide to use. Personally I think the popups are way overlooked. JMO.

jim-c
    Minot, ND

If I understand your post, you said you’re fishing with a partner about half the time and always pulling by hand? You will definitely like the size of the Otter Lodge when fishing with somebody else, but a house of that size will be a handful when fishing alone. It will take quite a bit more effort when loading/unloading, and set-up and moving around will take more time too. And you will likely need a larger heater and carry more propane to comfortably heat it. Pulling a Lodge loaded with gear any distance by yourself through snow will be all the “gym work” you need to stay in shape.

I had a Lodge (which I hardly ever pulled by hand) and I guess I just don’t see many guys solo fishing with a house that large.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

If your pulling it out by hand, by yourself, I’d keep the cabin and downsize or rethink the gear you bring with.
    I have a lodge and cabin. The lodge is a very roomy 2 man but I couldn’t imagine dragging that beast by myself.
    Or get the Lodge for 2 man and get Scout for solo trips.

+1

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.