Best Two Man Flip Over???

• troyh

I am currently in the market for a two man flip over shelter… any advice on what to look for and what to stray away from???

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Are you planning on pulling it on foot or with a snowmobile or wheeler?

troyh

more than likely a wheeler and snowmobile… looked at the jason mitchell thermal X and Otter… mitchell had more accessories but not sure about sled…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a Clam Yukon that treated me well. After 7 years the sled had some holes so I retired it. Just picked up another Yukon for this season.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Make sure you measure your trailer or truck to make sure you can haul it. I am going to have to upgrade to a full length truck box before I can get the shelter I want.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Troy,

Otter gets the nod for me.. With the roto molded sleds that are nearly indestructible, the swivel flip up bucket style seating and the Extremely superior insulated 1200 denier cover of the XT1200… easy choice for me…

I put together some info to compare weight size and price..

bronzbak
    Long way from home

I have owned frabil, clam, and otter. No comparison in my eyes in overall quality! Otter is the best flip in the market. From the square tubing, superior canvas in thermal and the new double Stich. Factor in the sled and it’s game over. Clam is the bottom rung, the plastic sled in clam shacks is garbage. So thin pulling over shelf ice punctured it.

Brent Yeakey
    Bloomer, WI

I have to agree on the Otter vote. After fishing clam shacks for a few year I bought an Otter Wild Cabin and couldn’t have loved it any more! This year I upgraded to one of the XT1200 Cabins and that thing is practically bullet proof.

No matter which shack you go with put a runner kit on it if your are going to be pulling it a lot. The small investment is well worth protecting the sled.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Otter Tough! I purchased my Otter II Cabin in 1997 and just finally retired it today. I just got back from purchasing a new Otter Pro XT1200 Cabin. No doubt in my mind which sled will last longer. I’m only retiring my 15 year old Cabin because of the new 1200 denier thermal cover. I plan on selling my old one and can’t wait to assemble the new one.

Aaron “Chico” Rodriguez
    Forest Lake, MN

I gotta go with the one I’ve fished like crazy out of the last few years… Clam Yukon. I think they are around $600.. at least that’s what I paid a few years ago. Look for a good coating/canvas that wont burn instantly when the heater gets too close! Compare what you feel is important…weight, room, sled size and ease of use. I like how easy mine is to adjust and lighten when I go by myself

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Otter gets my nodd several times over just wish I had thermal now love my lodge ultimate 2 man tent fish 3 comfortably

kfrj01
    woodbury,mn

Does anyone know if a guy can use a sled from a older otter cabin and just add the new tent and frame work? Also where can I purchase it around the metro area if so. I have a cabin that is in great shape, I would like the insulated tent as Iam getting tired of the cold. Thanks for any replies.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Talked to the Otter Pro’s yesterday at the Ice Show here in Sioux Falls. Sounds like they are not offering the frame and skin this year and may not in the future. May have to call the factory.

Both the 1200 and 650 shelter have been switched to using the Pro sled and are no longer using the Sport (Wild) sled. I had the same thoughts, so I measured my older Pro (medium)sled and it measured exactly the same as the new ones. I was just going to switch out my old frame and skin for a new thermal one.

However after talking with the Pro’s, since the sled itself is a relative small amount of the cost, they suggested I sell my older cabin as a whole unit and just pick up a complete new unit. The Pro’s suggested I put $350 – $400 on my older unit. I agree and I think I will be further ahead in cost.

Tombat74

I just purchased and put together a clam X2 thermal. The sled under this house is just like the otter sleds now with one exception. The interior is gray! No more loosing stuff in a black sleigh. The seats are the right height and very comfortable. The other thing i like is the new LED light stick thats included. Its nice and lights up the house really well. I tow with both 4 wheeler and sled. With the hyfax on the sled this will be as indestructible as the otter cottage i just switched from. I know i’m on a forum that really supports otter but with all the included features of the Clam X2 i decided to try something different. I think Clam has really stepped it up. Check them out.

Tom

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

The new units are nice but you can pick up a used unit in good shape for 1/3 if not a 1/4 of the price of new.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I just purchased and put together a clam X2 thermal. The sled under this house is just like the otter sleds now with one exception. The interior is gray!

Tom

This is not correct. The sleds are made with different materials using different processes. One is vacuum formed. The other is roto-molded. Otter has earned their reputation for a tough sled. It takes more than changing the interior color to be “just like an Otter.”

Of course this doesn’t change your right to your personal preferences. May your new house serve you well.

292-sparky
    White Bear Lake, MN

Picking the best two man flip over is about as hard as picking the best beer. There are lots of good choices out there, but they may not be exactly what you want. I’ve owned lots of different houses from the different manufactures and here is what I’ve learned over the years. Compare things like how the seat is built, how it’s attached and even how high it sits off the ice. Not everyone is the same hight so look at the different models within each brand. Look at the fabric and how it’s sewn. Some are thicker than others, but you can go too thick and it just adds bulk without adding any more wear resistance. Look at the poles and how easy they are to set up and take down.

Then take a look at what comes standard and even what kind of accessories are available to trick it out and make it yours, and speaking of available, look at the availability of it all, who sells it and how far you will have to drive to get it. Last but certainly not least, look at customer service. The best customer service is not to need it, but if you do need it, ask around to see who will be there for you if you have a problem.

Once you compare it all, I think you’ll find that Clam will be your best bet to a good year on the ice.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

I will start this by saying I am an amateur fisherman that pays full price for all my gear (I.e. not on any pro staff).

I have a Otter ProXT 900 cabin. After using this and fishing out of every other brand (except Eskimo), I can confidently say I will never own another brand. Sled is bullet proof, fabric is tough and inslation serves its purpose and then some. There are a lot of people who slam the Otter’s weight, but if you do some searching and put together a spreadsheet you’ll find they are no heavier than their competition and in fact lighter in most cases. As for the fabric, take all the brands outside on a bright sunny day, close all the windows and see how much light you can see through “pinholes,” you’ll be amazed how well sealed it is. Also, the fabric might be thicker than others, but I don’t mind spending an extra couple minutes folding it up. Lastly, up on LOTW last year day 1 was 0F w/ 15 mph winds, day 2 was -5F w/ 30 mph winds and day 3 was -20F below with 15 mph winds, I never had to turn my portable Buddy heater above low! If you search my past posts I actually created one to help prepare for the extreme cold and while I’m glad I came prepared I never needed anything I brought.

My vote goes for Otter. That said, do your research, buy as much house as you can afford and follow your gut and you’ll have a good season!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

Picking the best two man flip over is about as hard as picking the best beer.

292 Sparky !!!

You and me …

I think we should do it !!!

No matter how hard it gets … WE CAN DO IT !!!

ps. very good point !!!

Tombat74

Quote:

Quote:

I just purchased and put together a clam X2 thermal. The sled under this house is just like the otter sleds now with one exception. The interior is gray!

Tom

This is not correct. The sleds are made with different materials using different processes. One is vacuum formed. The other is roto-molded. Otter has earned their reputation for a tough sled. It takes more than changing the interior color to be “just like an Otter.”

Of course this doesn’t change your right to your personal preferences. May your new house serve you well.

The only advantage to a rotationally moulded sleigh is the fact that you can get a uniform thickness throughout the entire part. I don’t think this offers a tougher product just a uniformly moulded one? I watched the how its made segment on the Otter sleighs. I have not seen how the Clam units are made or even know how they are made. I can tell you though from drilling it to install hyfax that it is a very thick unit that I believe will take a lot of abuse. The houses I tow get lots and lots of rough terrain and miles of running in the back woods. I’ve owned otter houses since 2003 and they served me very well. I just wanted something different and the Clam X2 Thermal fit the bill in spades.

Lets get some ice already!!!

Tight lines,

Tom

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.