Tungsten

• tucrs
    NW Metro

So what are people buying this year? I have not seen too much on the shelves yet. My wife took the day off and my Custom Jigs and Spins order showed up a day early…

Any work better than other this past season?

clintradtke

Put my order in with Custom J&S on saturday. Hoping to see it before the weekend.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You’ll probably see it today. They are fast to fulfill orders.

I’ll just say I love tungsten jigs because they are so much easier to work with, especially on the the smallest jigs.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

You’ll probably see it today. They are fast to fulfill orders.

I’ll just say I love tungsten jigs because they are so much easier to work with, especially on the the smallest jigs.

What are your go to sizes? I just remember that my father sent a rose creek jig box to the bottom of the lake last year!

FDR

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t have a go-to size, I have all the sizes. But unlike the other guys here who have 100s of jigs, I have all the sizes in Firetiger, both Diamond Jig, Chekai and Gill Pills. Firetiger is my go-to color. (I forgot Chekai is the Tungsten, but I consider it the same profile as a diamond jig).

After that I have assorted random sizes of red, nickel and gold. Those come after the Firetiger if I feel it isn’t working.

GF did buy me a bunch of other assorted diamond jigs and gill pills. So after those colors I might make it into the clowns, frog, etc.

I know there are a lot of guys here who’s go-to color is red.

If I could choose 2 sizes it would be 16 and 12, for bluegills anyway. I see they have a size 8 this year? I wonder how big that is. Not literally how big, but how big relative to the other sizes.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Call me behind the curve or a dinosaur I guess but I have yet to buy a tungsten jig. Mostly due to the fact that I normally fish in shallow water under 15 feet so speed isn’t as imperative as in deep water situations, however I’m going to try a few out this year for the basin crappie bite on a few new lakes. I normally prefer the lead for the slower fall rate which to me seems like a more natural presentation to panfish which are used to slow falling food and not the rocket fast descent of tungsten. Slow fall rates seem to entice the bite the best for me, especially on crappies. So for me tungsten will be relegated to deep water only.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t really use them for getting the bait down quicker, since I normally fish pretty shallow as well. I use them because I feel like I can manipulate it a little better than a lighter jig, especially micro jigging. Besides that, I like using a foam bobber many times and a heavier weight is easier to counter by cutting the foam to where almost the only thing keeping the bobber floating is surface tension. And of course the line slips through the bobber slip better with more weight.

All that being said, honestly I think the benefits of tungsten for me is probably negligible. The biggest benefit is probably mentally in that I feel more confident using them.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Pug and Fanatic you both bring up good points. I do fish deep allot so speed has something to do with it but my go to reason would have to be a taughter line. Less chance for slack in the line and can still keep my presentation smaller if need be.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

All good points guys. Thanks!

FDR

TimJones
    Lake Osakis,MN

mplspug,

Quote:

Besides that, I like using a foam bobber many times and a heavier weight is easier to counter by cutting the foam to where almost the only thing keeping the bobber floating is surface tension. And of course the line slips through the bobber slip better with more weight.

I used to use the same technique but I always had a bunch of different length foam bobbers I carried along for the different weights I was using. Switched to the Venom floats two years ago and never looked back. Much easier to use and adjust for different weights. You should take a look at them and see what you think.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’ve been meaning to take a look at them. But what would I do with the dozens of custom cut bobbers I have now? I might have to order them online because I just see the “Today’s Tackle” brand everywhere.

The coolest thing fishing with those floats if you get them just right and the fish are biting light, you don’t see the bite by the bobber, you see it in the water surface tension.

henny
    Prescott, WI

Not to jack a thread here but. Venom floats are great for getting close as you can to neutral buoyancy. And if u switch to bigger jigs just pull the foam out a bit. The Glow in the dark ones are nice too. Cory from venom is a stand up guy.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.