ice shelter advice

• Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

I am in the market for a new portable ice shack. Otter, Frabill, Clam, Eskimo, or Shapell. They all look good and have good and not great features with each. I like to move around a bit when on the ice to find fish. I currently have a Shapell and don’t like breaking-down to move every time. I would like a flip over model that can accommodate 2 on a bench or seats and large enough under cover to seat another on a bucket.

Any advice would be great!

jake47
    WI

I have an Otter Cabin which is supposed to be for 3 people but it is only really big enough for 2 people. As far a portability, I can flip this up and move to a new hole in a matter of seconds. The only real downside is the weight of the sled and shack. It gets tough to pull it out onto a lake if you are walking and there is any amount of snow coverage. However, if you have a tow vehicle or truck, then it is exactly what you are looking for.

clintradtke

Quote:

I have an Otter Cabin which is supposed to be for 3 people but it is only really big enough for 2 people. As far a portability, I can flip this up and move to a new hole in a matter of seconds. The only real downside is the weight of the sled and shack. It gets tough to pull it out onto a lake if you are walking and there is any amount of snow coverage. However, if you have a tow vehicle or truck, then it is exactly what you are looking for.

Otter cabin could not fit 3 people. It gets snug with 2 guys and gear. Have the cabin and when I move on the ice I just shorten the poles for the front of the shack so it doesn’t drag on the ice and head to my next spot. Pull my shack with an ATV.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I sold my popup and only use a flip down because of mobility. I have a Clam Nanook which is marketed as a “2-man” but I think it really means “2-rods”. You probably need to look into the 4-man models minimum. I’m not sure how the 4-man houses fish 3 people. You may be looking at vertically staggering the holes. It may be a little cramped.

jake47
    WI

Otter cabin could not fit 3 people.

Maybe it is the Lodge. I just remember it saying 3 person when I bought it. Never tried 3 people and to be honest I like it for just myself. Plenty of space for multiple holes and gear.

Box

Quote:

Otter cabin could not fit 3 people.

Maybe it is the Lodge. I just remember it saying 3 person when I bought it. Never tried 3 people and to be honest I like it for just myself. Plenty of space for multiple holes and gear.

I have Otter Cabin and you can do 2 adults with a kid in middle if you have bench seat, but it is tight. Works fine for two people, but the holes must be stacked. I often would use an extra hole in middle of them all if only one flasher, and you can see all jigs. It works awesome as a one man, lots of room!

You can pull it over through snow pretty easy if the auger is not on it and not tons of stuff. I pull with sled or atv now, so it doesn’t matter. You can also get it into the back of truck by yourself, if you remove auger first, and maybe heater. The Lodge I never could lift by myself, or not without hernia

For Room I would rather have Lodge (I have a Voyager and the slightly larger size is nice), if you have sled or atv to pull it with. But the cabin works fine for one or two.

Good luck.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a Otter XT cabin and it works fine with 2 chairs and a Sportsmans Caddy between them…The Otter’s with bench seats can typically fish 1 more person than suggested, I always had 2 people easily fish in my old Wild 1 man…

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I am in the market for a new portable ice shack. Otter, Frabill, Clam, Eskimo, or Shapell. They all look good and have good and not great features with each. I like to move around a bit when on the ice to find fish. I currently have a Shapell and don’t like breaking-down to move every time. I would like a flip over model that can accommodate 2 on a bench or seats and large enough under cover to seat another on a bucket.

Hi Chia – will you be pulling this by hand or via ATV/snowmobile? If under mechanical power, you’ve got alot of options.

Joel

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

Between myself and my friends I’ve fished out of just about every brand of shelter and I’ve settled on the Otter Lodge. It is the most durable shelter on the market… They’ve really done an awesome job with the small details that make a difference over the life of a shelter from their roto molded sled, anodized frame components that don’t bind, and the best canvas of any manufacturer it’s going to last for years to come. The XT650 comes with a bench seat that comfortablely fishes two adults and a child plus there is enough room for a 3rd adult to squeeze in on the bench or set up on a bucket during extra cold days

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Otter lodge hands down a very roomy two man and fits another on a pail or camp chair. Otter sled so durability is not an issue. – QB

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I hate giving negative reviews, but I personally will never pay for an Eskimo shelter ever again. I got a pop-up of theirs a few years ago and the stitch-job looked like a drunken monkey with one eye made the shack on a friday an hour before getting off work. I went to bring it back and couldn’t find a single shelter in stock that had any better stitching done. Velcro peeled off angles were way off, and the poles fall out of their locks all the time, zippers always have trouble zipping up even when not anchored… It’s safe to say you get what you pay for, and its worth spending more $ on something better than an Eskimo shelter. Hope this helps narrow things down for you and good luck!

ejd

I have a Otter Cabin and I really enjoy fishing out of it and it is top notch quality. It would not be comfortable to fish 3 people out of it but it is very comfortable fishing with 2 people from this sled. I have also fished out of clams and I think that they are nice as well but I prefer the otter sled’s durability.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

One other thing worth mentioning…
    If you have any aspirations to pull the sled any distance on foot the “pain in the arse” factor goes up when you get into and exceed the 100 lb range. Problem is: getting the weight back down with enough room puts you in a pop up.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I fished out of an Otter Lodge last year up on LOTW and I felt there was plenty of room for two guys and we could have put a third in if we had to no problem !!

ghost78
    Minnesota

You will never go wrong with an Otter. Best made products

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I have fished out of a Frabill Predator for the past 3 years. Have been very happy with the quality but to pull it around by hand sucks ( machine assist no problem ). Fishes 2 adults easily. 4 holes but not allot of spacing between them. I use a hook to hold up the first 2 sections and move to the next hole. Except on windy days than it becomes a sail or drifting snow trap.

Dadams
    Emmetsburg, Iowa

Awesome information everyone! Thanks for all the help. Gives me something to think over a bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.