What not to do while preparing for ice fishing

• tucrs
    NW Metro

Okay so here is a few things not to do while preparing for ice fishing.

1. Do not run your auger at 8:30 at night in your garage reving it louder and louder just to hear that 2 stroke’s power. It will wake up your pregnant and now crabby wife. Once she realizes what is going on she finds a second auger that is why she has not been able to pull in the garage. This small mistake costs you a trip to Dairy Queen and you have to move the auger into your stall.

2. Do not what ever you do try to use the Marcum LX9 Camera as night vision. It will freak people out when you are walking through the house and they see what they think of as a robber carrying a red sack. Try to explain this to family.

3. Do not jig off the side of the bed. No matter how you explain that you were testing you new TUCR noodle out, you cannot justify this to your wife at 2 am.

These are just a few tips I have learned in the past week.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Quote:

This small mistake costs you a trip to Dairy Queen and you have to move the auger into your stall.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Okay so here is a few things not to do while preparing for ice fishing.

1. Do not run your auger at 8:30 at night in your garage reving it louder and louder just to hear that 2 stroke’s power. It will wake up your pregnant and now crabby wife. Once she realizes what is going on she finds a second auger that is why she has not been able to pull in the garage. This small mistake costs you a trip to Dairy Queen and you have to move the auger into your stall.

2. Do not what ever you do try to use the Marcum LX9 Camera as night vision. It will freak people out when you are walking through the house and they see what they think of as a robber carrying a red sack. Try to explain this to family.

3. Do not jig off the side of the bed. No matter how you explain that you were testing you new TUCR noodle out, you cannot justify this to your wife at 2 am.

These are just a few tips I have learned in the past week.

I see this as a win-win. Annoy her well enough, and you’ll be excused to go ice-fishing more. Not to mention, practice makes perfect. By ice-season, you’ll be ready to rock!

Joel

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

OR….

….you could just go open water fishing and try that Marcum and short rod out of the boat.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Years ago, I got my first portable. I put it together in the garage and about then a buddy stopped by. With beer. Well pretty soon we’re sitting in the portable drinking beer (OK a lot of beer) with the lantern going and talking about fishing and having a good old time. The wife shows up and asks just what do we think we’re doing? Well, “We’re ice fishing!”

She wasn’t impressed…

tucrs
    NW Metro

My wife read this post now and I said see I am not crazy. There is a forum dedicated to us!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

A tad bit off topic, but I brought the lady of the houses car in for an oil change yesterday. We opened the hood and found a mouse decided to make a nest atop her battery cover.

I was anxious all day and the first thing I checked when I got home was the portable. I’m glad the mice prefer her car, the portable was all right.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

On a semi-related note I have gotten in trouble from both my roommates and parents for swimming my jigs in bath tub and back of the toilet taking up too much time in the bathroom. Also I have gotten multiple jigs stuck in the carpeting and had to cut the carpet or bend the hook to get it out while sorting through my jig box attempting to organize it. On a less cynical note I often grab an combo and practice jigging when I’m stressed, seems to help a lot, also find myself doing this when I’m watching the IDO ice fishing shows.

bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

The very large glass jar’s you would see siting atop the bar with something pickled in it at your favorite drinking establishment, well I have one that I sometimes use to swim my jig’s in as I sit infront of the tv or as I use to seems the wifes cat thought it was a new toy on a string now that was a HOOT,now after reading some of the other post I feel much better about myself thanks, about that cat my dog’s fixed that problem

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

You gave me an idea TUCR! I am going to an order a new marcum camera and tell my wife it’s a portable baby monitor for when we go to the cabin.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

TUCR i hope she is only about 2 months along. New moms hate when you take the newborn on the ice. Other wise your in for a long winter. By the way congrats on the bun in the oven.

artifishal

Quote:

On a semi-related note I have gotten in trouble from both my roommates and parents for swimming my jigs in bath tub and back of the toilet taking up too much time in the bathroom. Also I have gotten multiple jigs stuck in the carpeting and had to cut the carpet or bend the hook to get it out while sorting through my jig box attempting to organize it. On a less cynical note I often grab an combo and practice jigging when I’m stressed, seems to help a lot, also find myself doing this when I’m watching the IDO ice fishing shows.

You’re not alone icefanatic

tucrs
    NW Metro

My wife read the baby monitor, she said it was a good idea!!!

Ah totally redeemed myself!

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Also, do not get caught testing ice jigs in your daughters fish tank. Teenage girls tend to freak out, which in turn then freaks out the wife, which in-turn gives the pre-teen son some bright ideas of his own.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote:

The back of the toilet?!?! Why did I never think of that, oh man you are brilliant!

tucrs
    NW Metro

Just don’t put perch in the bathtub… Don’t ask how I know. I did it when I was a kid and learned valuable lesson.

icemandan39
    Syracuse, NY

Its just nice to know im not the only one who is already wishing for hard water. My wife talks about retiring to florida….I say Wisconsin.

tjgeerdes
    Rice Lake, WI

As a Wisconsin resident, I would recommend Northeast SD (many lakes and sloughs to fish) or Wyoming, because they have NO income tax to take from your retirement funds. Plus you can always travel easily from those 2 places to many great outdoor spots!

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

No matter how you explain that you were testing you new TUCR noodle out, you cannot justify this to your wife at 2 am.

Trying to justify testing your noodle at 2 am….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.