Popup hub shelters?

• 396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I’m thinking about getting a hub style house. I’m selling my 4 wheelers and I’m thinking that pulling my Frabill preditor will be out of the question to pull out fishing in the deep snow.

I do have a one man portable so the hub will be for when my wife or friends go with me. What is a good insulated popup for around 4 people?

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Just noticed the other post and after reading it looks like the Eskimo seem to be pretty good.

I fished out of the eskimo fatfish and a clam insulated top but not to sure on how each hold up to use.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’m thinking about getting a hub style house. I’m selling my 4 wheelers and I’m thinking that pulling my Frabill preditor will be out of the question to pull out fishing in the deep snow.

I do have a one man portable so the hub will be for when my wife or friends go with me. What is a good insulated popup for around 4 people?

I can’t speak to insulated. But for 4 people I like the “6 person” model. We run an Eskimo Quik Fish 6. With 4 people and gear, you just need the room.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

check out the Clam Bigfoot XL4000T (it’s a full thermal model) or the Bigfoot XL6000TC (thermal cap and non thermal walls). another one to look for would be a full thermal Clam Command Post. they are discontinued this year but if you shop around some retailer might have carry over from last season that is new and still in the box and you might even be able to get a deal on it.

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Ranger, I would totally go for any pop up hub blind even if you are going fishing by yourself. They have more uses than just ice fishing. I started using my big hunting blind on the warmer ice fishing days, my friends and I couldn’t drive back then and just tossed them into otter sleds towed behind our snowmobiles. As long as you can fully cover all light openings and it has a dark interior with plenty of room, you can also spear pike out of them.

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

I do have a hunting blind so might try that I suppose.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I do have a hunting blind so might try that I suppose.

Depends on the blind and the guy. I have a couple Ameristep blinds. Way to small (short and wide) for a guy with ice gear to stand in and move around. The newer bigger ones would be better. All a pop up fish house is is a non camo hunting blind with plastic windows.

baitshopguy13
    Lakeland,MN

Clam has redone there big foots once again because the 4000 had huge problems last year this year they have come out with a new Jason Mitchell model in the hub style i have checked it out and i think you should to they are top notch

dld24

Fatfish 949I I bought mine last year and really like it…IMO Eskimos are the way to go for popups…watch Glens Army Navy in rapids, I got mine for $250 on sale

slipbobnick
    MN

what were the huge problems on them last year? never heard anything

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

what were the huge problems on them last year? never heard anything

there was a issue with one of Clam’s suppliers. the supplier used the pattern for the XL2000 when they went to make the first run of the XL4000T’s. the house ended up basically being a full thermal XL2000 but was labeled as a XL4000T. the incorrect ones didn’t get the mesh ceiling slings like the correct XL4000T got. they were also 6 inches smaller in diameter then the correct XL4000T’s. Clam ended up letting the people keep the incorrect ones that had them and sent them a correct one too. so some people got lucky and ended up with 2 full thermal hubs for the price of 1. I kind of wish that Clam would of just made the XL2000 a full thermal model too. the supplier’s quality control was not in place. this should have been caught before they left the suppliers place and got to Clam.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.