New Ice Rod suggestions???

• tucrs
    NW Metro

With a truly great year for us, I wanted to thank the IDO forum for being a great sounding board for feedback, concerns and questions.

That being said we are thinking about next ice season and want some ideas for new rods? I know we have had lots of requests for something in the middle of our Precision and Precision Noodle rod. What else are you looking for?

BBKK
    IA

How about a shorty for sight fishing? Something around the 15-18″ range with a good backbone but soft tip.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

How about a shorty for sight fishing? Something around the 15-18″ range with a good backbone but soft tip.

I’ll second that. 17″ – 19″, a short 3″ cork handle and 3 eyes, max. Build it on a modified precision noodle blank and I think you’d have a winner.

Other ideas…. a dead stick rod capable of handling walleye sized baits and 38″ – 44″ laker/pike rod. Laker rods don’t need to be suitable for beating dust out of rugs yet that’s the way most outfits build them…. heavy, clubby and far too stiff for my liking.

It is great to see you guys kicking around ideas for next winter already.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

How about a 48 or 54″ hollow blank with an inline reel

light action with an extra fast tip and a wire spring bobber for hole hopping the backwaters of the Mississippi..

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

How about a 48 or 54″ hollow blank with an inline reel

light action with an extra fast tip and a wire spring bobber for hole hopping the backwaters of the Mississippi..

x2 and if you could match that rod with an in-line reel that has a solid drag system and perhaps a better ratio then you would be on to something

pol_bear_53
    NE Wisconsin

Isn’t the new Precision Quicktip going to fall between the Precision and Precision Noodle?

tucrs
    NW Metro

Without releasing to many details it is kind of like that… Just different. Sorry for the tease.

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I doubt there’s enough demand but a dedicated smelt stick (both light and medium weights) would be interested. I second or third the suggestions on 1) a short stick for sight fishing, and 2) a laker rod, personally, I use baitcasters for these but…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I like sincork handles (or however you spell it). But then again I like things different. Those split grip handles sure rocked this year. Thanks…

tucrs
    NW Metro

Syncork we have been working on something that is lighter and similar because there is a demand for that.

Black REC guides have been tested and approved.

Any other crazy ideas? I am all ears because open may be on ice I have to do something that weekend.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Bamboo blank, EVA foam pistol grip, and paperclips bent into guides…

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Here is teaser of the smaller sightfishing rod some of you have asked about. I have a few select lakes out here that I sight fish. The guys at TUC and I did some talking and we came out with a prototype 16 inch sight fishing rod. 3 eyes and a 3 inch corck handle, with a 2.5inch TUC noodle tip, the road has a good “little backbone” on it so you get a nice hookset. It is nice to be able to sit right over the hole with this rod. This rod will possibly undergo some modifications but was a great stick for me. It handled bluegills all the way up to 10 inches like this brute I caught back in January. -Q

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

As usualy the customer service at TUC is second to none, I made a suggestion and these guys were at the drawing board within minutes working on it and providing the necessary rod building and designing expertise. – Q

riverruns
    Inactive

X3! This would be great . About the longer rods with inline reals !

Shawn

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Quote:

38″ – 44″ laker/pike rod. Laker rods don’t need to be suitable for beating dust out of rugs yet that’s the way most outfits build them…. heavy, clubby and far too stiff for my liking.

X2 on what James said. Baitcaster seat would be nice, If you want to send up some prototypes I would be happy to test them on Tobin Lake,Sask for pike and walleye and Clearwater Lake, Man. for lakers.

tucrs
    NW Metro

We have a laker rod now in the works.
    We also are working on other sticks to fill the gaps in our lineup.

Thanks keep the suggestions coming.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.