Best rod for walleyes on Lake Winnipeq

• Bigwalleye30
    MN

I’m looking to get a set up or two for a trip next winter to Lake Winnipeq. What rod do you think is best for pairing with large rattle baits? Talking for large lindy darters, rippin’ shads and live targets.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I’m looking to get a set up or two for a trip next winter to Lake Winnipeq. What rod do you think is best for pairing with large rattle baits? Talking for large lindy darters, rippin’ shads and live targets.

If money is no object I would get 2. A Thorne Bros Walleye Sweetheart/TUC Power Precision as well as a Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart/TUC Precision. That would a you cover working the big baits well as well as something a little lighter if you want a second combo with a smaller spoon. I also recommend DH Custom but I don’t know if they have a rod as heavy as the Walleye SH or Power Precision.

toxic11

I have both dh custom walleye stinger and the tuc precision rod for my heavier lures and a dh custom perch pounder for lighter stuff. I really like these rods and they work really good.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Haven’t used a DH before but have a few medium walleye sweethearts and TUC precisions but I’m afraid they aren’t powerful enough for 2 3/4 inch darters or 3″ live targets that guys are using. Might even be a stretch to use the 2 1/2″ rippin’ shads. Would a medium heavy sweetheart or TB professional be the ticket?

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Haven’t used a DH before but have a few medium walleye sweethearts and TUC precisions but I’m afraid they aren’t powerful enough for 2 3/4 inch darters or 3″ live targets that guys are using. Might even be a stretch to use the 2 1/2″ rippin’ shads. Would a medium heavy sweetheart or TB professional be the ticket?

In that case I would say MH Walleye SH or Power Precision. I’d also give DH a call, he makes a high quality rod. Out of curiosity, why do you say the medium Walleye SH can’t handle the 2 3/4 Darter? I use them occasionally with my Perch SH and it seems to work fine. Am I not doing something correct? I haven’t caught much in them, maybe that’s the problem…

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I haven’t used any 2 3/4 darters yet but picked them up and they are quite large. The medium sweetheart bends quite a bit on just the 2″ ones. So to me the biggest darter will make it bend too much. Basically when trying to keep the rattles activated if you rod isn’t stiff enough makes it more difficult to do it without moving the bait too much. I would consider the power precision but they only make them up to 32″ and I prefer a 36″ rod.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Id say a 36″ thorne bros walleye sweetheart or the professsional I have a buddy that fishes up there a few times a year ice fishing I know the barbless hooks you need a stiffer rod for the heavy rattle baits the professional is designed for lake trout I also know theyve started to use baitcasting setups also hope this helps

Burr

I’m not completely satisfied with the rod I have for the large Live targets yet. I’ve got one that’s too still, and several that are either too short, or too soft.

Scheels has their own branded rods, 42″ MH action, that is a great rod for things just a step lighter than the large Live Targets. I use Scheels rod for the smaller Live Targets, Jit-R-Jigs, other jigging, Spoons, Jigging Raps, and stop signs.

The Scheels 42″ MH rod is a great rod for lot’s of different presentations up there, but the larger Live Target takes a really specific rod to be matched perfect, and I have not found yet. I’ll be trying some of the Thorn Bros Sweetheart rods next year trying to match up to the large Target.

I’ve also got 28″ Fenwick Ice rods for fishing inside a portable. Doesn’t get used often, but a long, and a short rod for fishing two holes inside a house is handy. (fishing two people in a house is counter-productive).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.