Otter wild cabin

• hamms
    Mn

How do you guys like this house? I know it is all preference but bench vs seats? I have 2 small kids 4 and 2 would bench be better? I currently have a clam x2 which is awesome size house and can stand up but I go more myself and would like to lighten it up a bit. Think a otter cabin might fit the bill. Only looking at the wild because I can get a deal on one.Is it as durable? I see 600 vs 900 denier tent. Ive never had thermal so may also look into them.

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

How do you guys like this house? I know it is all preference but bench vs seats? I have 2 small kids 4 and 2 would bench be better? I currently have a clam x2 which is awesome size house and can stand up but I go more myself and would like to lighten it up a bit. Think a otter cabin might fit the bill. Only looking at the wild because I can get a deal on one.Is it as durable? I see 600 vs 900 denier tent. Ive never had thermal so may also look into them.

I love mine (900 denier), you literally can’t get cold in it. Seats are comfortable and tent very rarely gets any condensation. That said, I purchased the Cabin size because it fits in the back of my pickup. If I cold fit the Lodge or Resort in I would have bought one of them instead. If you can find the Pro version with a bench seat that would be best for your situation.

mmorgen
    Menomonie WI.

we have the wild cabin t600 the bench seat works good for the kids.we use a mr. heater big buddy. it don’t come off low. 3 kids fish in it just fine with the camera. fleet farm had them on sale too.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have the Lodge. You can’t go wrong with Otter fish houses EXCEPT being so well built makes them terribly heavy. If you are dragging by hand………good luck.

hamms
    Mn

I pulled my x2 out at early ice it is very heavy. Bigger then a otter cabin more like a lodge size. Dont know that I will sell it cause it is a great house. Built for towing like the otters. May just pick up a cabin size otter would be much lighter if walking out. Are wild series same pole design? Anodized aluminum?

jsrevermann
    Central MN

I love my Otter Wild Cabin.

I have a 7 and 4 year old and the bench seat works great for the three of us.

I purchased the cabin because I can get it in my truck. I am also able to roll my toneau cover over the top. It sits just a little higher than the box but I can still roll the cover over it and get the velcro to seal.

They are not super light, but that is only because it is built to last.

hamms
    Mn

Quote:

They are not super light, but that is only because it is built to last.

Exactly! Is yours a thermal top or just 600denier?

jsrevermann
    Central MN

Mine has the thermal top, it does get a little frosted up on the sides but never drips from the ceiling. It takes very little to heat. It can get pretty darn cold out, but the low heat setting is usually plenty on my little buddy heater.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

had nothing but good things to say about mine. Been in some serious wind out on Oahe and it was much better than the Clams that were around me.

red89
    Hudson

I am not impressed with the T600 fabric at all. The top insulated part is fine, but today I noticed how much sun is showing through on the sides. Does not seem to be very durable at all.

I have used my shack less than 20 times and always transported it in a truck with topper with cover on, never pulled it behind a sled or did anything rough with it whatsoever. Its getting small rips all over the place, and places where you can see wrinkles from when it got folded up have sun shining through.

hamms
    Mn

That is disappointing. Ill stick with my heavy x2 with 900d for now then. Insulated is next.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I am not impressed with the T600 fabric at all. The top insulated part is fine, but today I noticed how much sun is showing through on the sides. Does not seem to be very durable at all.

I have used my shack less than 20 times and always transported it in a truck with topper with cover on, never pulled it behind a sled or did anything rough with it whatsoever. Its getting small rips all over the place, and places where you can see wrinkles from when it got folded up have sun shining through.

That is just a fabric coating that is wearing thin from it being folded in the same spot every time. It won’t affect its wind blocking performance, it’s just not as pretty as when it was new.

hamms
    Mn

True had a Fish trap yukon that the coating wore where it folded and didn’t seem to change it. I was told that coating was to help keep shelter dark for sight fishing. X2 is super bright with light colored canvas.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.