LX6 VS the LX7

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

Now that we are well into the season, I’m looking for some feedback. Those of you who went with the 6, do you wish you would have paid a little more for the 7? Also need to justify this with the wife, so can either of these units go on the boat? I guess I’m not against spending the extra for a bigger screen, but is it just the screen or are there other features I am missing? Thanks all!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Other than the screen size, I think the only difference is the ability of the LX-7 to be upgraded to the LX-9. I don’t think the LX-6 can be, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be.

And the LX-6 is lighter and more suited for hole hopping.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

I’ve had the 7 since its release and have loved it since then. You can’t go wrong with either unit. I personally like the bigger screen. The main difference between the two units is screen size. I have no problem hole hopping with the 7. It’s not even heavy to begin with. If the difference between price isn’t a concern, go with the 7. I’ve seen both units at a $50 difference so far

chomps
    Sioux City IA

$50 is what I am seeing also. How about an open water transducer? would be cool!

hamms
    Mn

Lx7 has 1/2″ separation and the 6 has 3/4″.not much diff. I would like the 6″ screen. 8″ would be great too. My month old lx5 is on the frits so may be returning it and trying one.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

$50 is what I am seeing also. How about an open water transducer? would be cool!

http://www.rapala.com/VXHS/VXHS,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=marCum-partsAndaccessories

Here’s the single beam 20′ open water transducer.

If you call MarCum I believe they have the switchable 8’/20′ available but haven’t put it up on their website yet.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you have any thought of possible upgrade to the lx9, go with the 7

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

I was also under the impression from the responses here there was a distinction in displayed colors between the two units. More colors displayed in the 7 than the 6. Did I misunderstand?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

James your link didn’t work for me, but found this in the description “•Temperature Capable when used with optional High-Speed Transducer” So I have to belive this goes in the boat too. Just have to look to see if the tranducer is a shoot thru the hull, or goes on the back of the transom.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

I was also under the impression from the responses here there was a distinction in displayed colors between the two units. More colors displayed in the 7 than the 6. Did I misunderstand?

The same colors will be displayed on both units.

castle-rock-clown

Quote:

James your link didn’t work for me, but found this in the description “•Temperature Capable when used with optional High-Speed Transducer” So I have to belive this goes in the boat too. Just have to look to see if the tranducer is a shoot thru the hull, or goes on the back of the transom.

I just ordered and received the dual beam/temp open water transducer from Reeds. It is designed for mounting externally to the transom or underside of a trolling motor. I did find out that older 7s need a $50 internal circuit board upgrade to show temp. The way to tell is to unplug the transducer connection, if there is only 3 pins, you would need the upgrade to show temp. Otherwise, the transducer will work with all 7s, 6s, and 9s. (Or any lx series units).

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Chomps:

I’m a fan of still looking at the circular display when ice fishing, so for my eyes the 7 nails it in that regard and the 6 is a bit small. Also, when it comes to pulling double duty in the boat, you won’t find a screen that size in your open-water Lowrance/H-bird, so I think it’s a value on the soft-water side all things considered.

Just my opinions after running both.

Thanks,

Joel

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Chomps:

I’m a fan of still looking at the circular display when ice fishing, so for my eyes the 7 nails it in that regard and the 6 is a bit small. Also, when it comes to pulling double duty in the boat, you won’t find a screen that size in your open-water Lowrance/H-bird, so I think it’s a value on the soft-water side all things considered.

Thanks,

Joel

Joel-I’m glad to hear comments like this. I’m typically not an early adopter with electronics and am very close to retiring the LX 5 to make the move to digital and I’ve been fighting this whole 6 vs. 7 thing. Given that I already have a camera for the few situations where I actually use it, that upgrade capability isn’t of concern. Where I had been leaning toward a 6, I’m now back with the 7 due to screen size.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Chomps:

Thanks,

Joel

Joel-I’m glad to hear comments like this. I’m typically not an early adopter with electronics and am very close to retiring the LX 5 to make the move to digital and I’ve been fighting this whole 6 vs. 7 thing. Given that I already have a camera for the few situations where I actually use it, that upgrade capability isn’t of concern. Where I had been leaning toward a 6, I’m now back with the 7 due to screen size.

You’ll love the 7. Main focal point over the 6 is the screen size. Still a great unit for hole hopping and is not heavy at all IMO. Get one and you won’t regret it. Some deals to be had on the 7 right now.

BBKK
    IA

Lx7 is on sale for lx6 price right now at reeds sporting goods.

JoeMX1825
    MN

last time I was at Fleetfarm, they had all the Marcum Flashers on sale..the LX-9 was $999

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

Quote:

Shut up already…I’m having a hard enough time keeping my wallet in my pants this year as it is and comments like this aren’t helping. ;-)

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Quote:

Quote:

Shut up already…I’m having a hard enough time keeping my wallet in my pants this year as it is and comments like this aren’t helping. ;-)

yep, in two weeks will be driving through Walker, if there’s one there, it’s going into the truck. If not, it was not meant to happen. Although I’m sure I will call ahead to be sure there’s one there. Thanks for all the replies.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.