Humminbird 55

• derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Cant say enough about this unit. I love the blue colors and the battery last two days.

BBKK
    IA

Its a pretty nice unit aside from the target separation!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I found the target separation to excel in zoom mode.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Ice 55 does not have zoom, it has optical enlargement that is mislabeled as zoom. It just blows up the image 2X in the target area. Similar to blowing up a picture on your computer. It does not actually change the target separation or re-enhance the image once in “zoom”.

Think of it as blowing up a picture on your computer, it distorts but gets bigger. Its the same way with vexilar. Marcum is the only one with a true zoom, it zooms in like a camera would. Better target separation and re-enhances the image to SFL again in zoom mode.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Is humminbird advertising false advertising?

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Maybe I’m a dope, but what is the big deal with target separation? Does it really matter if there happens to be 2 or 3 fish really close together and it only shows as one on your locator? You can only catch one at a time anyway. When you pull one one away, the other fish will show up.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Maybe I’m a dope, but what is the big deal with target separation? Does it really matter if there happens to be 2 or 3 fish really close together and it only shows as one on your locator? You can only catch one at a time anyway. When you pull one one away, the other fish will show up.

x2

evobassfish

Quote:

Absolutely! I like to pick out the bigger fish of the school than waste time with the smaller ones. After all, don’t we go fishing to try and catch the biggest?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Absolutely. It was shown in one of the IDO shows a while back. The were crappie fishing and showed how the SFL and real zoom on the lx5 allowed them to drop the jig down into the school and target specific lines that looked like bigger fish. With any other unit you would have just seen red from the bottom up 10 feet. You would have to jig above them and catch the little fish that were on top. With the real zoom and SFL they fished in the middle of the school and caught BIG fish.

joetc
    Rogers and Longville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Ice 55 does not have zoom, it has optical enlargement that is mislabeled as zoom. It just blows up the image 2X in the target area. Similar to blowing up a picture on your computer. It does not actually change the target separation or re-enhance the image once in “zoom”.

Think of it as blowing up a picture on your computer, it distorts but gets bigger. Its the same way with vexilar. Marcum is the only one with a true zoom, it zooms in like a camera would. Better target separation and re-enhances the image to SFL again in zoom mode.

I started the season with an Ice 55 and noticed the same thing. It turned my 1/4″ width target into 1/2″ on zoom. The blobs got so big I found it easier just to turn off the zoom. Other than that it was a nice unit and I really liked the six color. I ended up selling it though after having issues with two units in a row and having to send them in for repair. If they were more reliable (from my experience) they would make a good unit.

Joe

I’ve got an Hbird ice-55, it’s OK. My biggest gripe is that it’s got terrible IR, luckily in most fishing situations it isn’t needed. The units have bad self interference in deeper water and have terrible issues dealing with suspended particulate.

The zoom is b-grade too.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

I’ve got an Hbird ice-55, it’s OK. My biggest gripe is that it’s got terrible IR, luckily in most fishing situations it isn’t needed. The units have bad self interference in deeper water and have terrible issues dealing with suspended particulate.

The zoom is b-grade too.

Haved you tried the smaller cone in deeper water to eliminate interference?

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Quote:

No, you are just getting info from a Marcum rep or someone that gets free stuff from them. No one flasher is better than the other. I own all 3 brands. They are all good. The difference are so minor in any of them, noone but a computer dork can notice a difference.

To be honest, I like my ice 55 better than the LX-5 I have. And the only reason that is, is because the screen is bigger and flat, making it easier to see. Other than that, it and the LX-5 are almost identical in performance, just as the 20 series vexilars are too.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

No, you are just getting info from a Marcum rep or someone that gets free stuff from them. No one flasher is better than the other. I own all 3 brands. They are all good. The difference are so minor in any of them, noone but a computer dork can notice a difference.

To be honest, I like my ice 55 better than the LX-5 I have. And the only reason that is, is because the screen is bigger and flat, making it easier to see. Other than that, it and the LX-5 are almost identical in performance, just as the 20 series vexilars are too.

x2

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Obviously you are the type that does not care about any of the fine features and as long as it is marking your jig and fish then it is a good unit. All units are identical in peformance, they all mark your jig, the fish, and the bottom. Its the fine details that set the units apart. If the bird55 had SFL and better target separation I would buy one over a marcum any day of the year.

I have fished next to many vexilars and humminbirds and have not had one even come close to the marcum lx5. If you can not see that, then you are blind.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

cant say i fished the lx5. you are right i just want to see my jig,bait and fish. i will say i love my h55

tswoboda

Quote:

I have fished next to many vexilars and humminbirds and have not had one even come close to the marcum lx5. If you can not see that, then you are blind.

FACT: Those who use Marcum flashers will catch more fish and are wayyy cooler than vex and bird users.

skiman39

I own both and they are both nice units. The LX5 has better Target separation and a real zoom on it. The LX5 in schools of fish is better for picking out the different sizes of fish and not making them all blend together and NO I have no affliation with Marcum whatsoever, Thats just my 2 cents worth. As they all say any flasher is better than having NO flasher!

fisherman-andy

To be honest once those wonderful marks appear on screen all the crispness and target separation goes out the window. I now tuned in to my own skills and equipment to land the fish.

In part any flasher will help you catch more fish. Some may be a slightly better tool at showing it to you. But again once you start seeing RED I dont even bother to look at the flasher screen. I am anticipating my action and the bite and the flasher becomes an after thought at those moments.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Love my 55 and my 597

zekoonce
    West Salem, WI

I got an lx 6 and my buddy has the Ice 55 and when we fish in the two man otter he can’t see nothin on his flasher because of the interference from my lx6. My screen is crystal clear. I fish next to my brother who has an lx5 and we have no trouble fishing side by side with both units on. And now… Yep you guessed it my buddy wants a marcum!

r._kayle
    Cedar Falls, IA

Quote:

I got an lx 6 and my buddy has the Ice 55 and when we fish in the two man otter he can’t see nothin on his flasher because of the interference from my lx6. My screen is crystal clear. I fish next to my brother who has an lx5 and we have no trouble fishing side by side with both units on. And now… Yep you guessed it my buddy wants a marcum!

When I had the 55 I had no issues ever fishing beside a Marcum. The IR was one of the better features of the unit as you could block it out from any unit at anytime. Target seperation was bigger than the Marcum but I don’t know a lot of people that are worried about putting their bait down and only targeting one bigger fish in a school of three panfish. Some fisherman dont have the option and aren’t able to take off every weekend to go to certain lakes and target those kind of numbers of fish and be able to really be concerned about fine tuning the unit. I have had all three and do have a LX-7 now and like the unit. Funny thing is with mine, I have left version 1.1 in it and haven’t had an issue with anything I am reading on here on a daily basis as each unit gets an update. To each his own on the flashers. Every fisherman fishes in a different way and I know a lot of people that still fish the Fl-8 that can put big numbers of fish on the ice. I also know some old boys that have been fishing the river for more years than I’ve been alive that still out fish people with flashers and they don’t own one!

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

The only knock I have on the 5 is the inability for me to use it in weeds.I have never used the 6 or 7 yet.I am pondering going to the get together at Onalaska.Hopefully someone will demo three 6or 7,Lots of good fishing between my home and there thou.

zekoonce
    West Salem, WI

Well maybe my friend got a bad unit and don’t know it but that is what happened.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.