lx 5

• bigwheel

Well I picked up a lx 5 yesterday. Got the last one at gander in e. c. Got to try it out today was satisfied with the results. My concern I have is with the charging. I had it plugged in 12 hrs overnite and the light was still red this morning. Anyone have this problem or any suggestions.

castle-rock-clown

That is not unusual as the batteries in these units are either 7 or 9 amp hrs. The chargers charge at a rate in milliamps so as not to cook the battery and also maintain it once it is fully charged. These batteries self-discharge on the shelf and yours was just probably down requiring extended recharge time. Hook it up and eventually it will turn green.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

That is not unusual as the batteries in these units are either 7 or 9 amp hrs. The chargers charge at a rate in milliamps so as not to cook the battery and also maintain it once it is fully charged. These batteries self-discharge on the shelf and yours was just probably down requiring extended recharge time. Hook it up and eventually it will turn green.

The lx5 charger is 1amp. It should take 9 hours to charge a 9ah battery, 7 hours for a 7ah. Add in a few if its the first charge as it takes a little to top it off completely. The battery should be to 90-95% in 9 hours and ready to fish.

shaley
    Milford IA

Light never has turned green on my charger going on it’s 2nd year but units always full charged… My 5 still has a working DCS charging system on it….

bigwheel

Otherwise the unit worked really well in deeper water. In 4 ft of water I couldnt get it to work well then I looked down the hole and saw it was full of weeds.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I think on my LX5 the red light indicates a full charge. I don’t think it has a green light.

bigwheel

When I plug the charger into the wall a green light comes on then changes to red when connected to the battery. Manual says should change from red to green when charged.

shaley
    Milford IA

4′ is a streach for any flasher, rare to use mine under 6 most years dont use it under 20 other than at night… Today we could see our spoons at 32’looking down the hole…

tpmorgz
    Central Iowa

Our new unit took about 30 hours for the light to turn green last week. The people at Marcum said that was not unusual for the first charge.

My charger never changed over to green on my LX7 all of last season, finally started turning in the last couple of weeks.

dorancehefte
    Wisconsin

I use a clip-on charger from Cabelas. When it finishes charging the light turns green but every few minutes it turns red again while it retests the battery for charge level. I have it charging in a low light area and have watched it change as I walk toward it. So, maybe it has completed the charge cycle but does a similar charge check that turns the light to red.

BBKK
    IA

I have also heard of guys never having theirs turn green… doesnt seem any better than my old vx-1P charger with no light. It sucked to have to guess when it was charged and risk overcharging it since the charger had no float.

Best purchase I’ve made for it was to buy a battery tender junior. I payed $25 for it and man what a difference. 3 stage charging with a float and maintenance mode. After 3 hours of fishing with my vx-1 the battery tender jr has it charged in about 1-1.5 hours. Better yet it also works on motorcycle and ATV batteries.

Later I’ll snap a picture and show how I have mine rigged up with the tender leads mounted so I can plug and go.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Marcum charger never turns green but when I hook ( Marcum Bros don’t scream please) the old vex charger to it light immediately goes green. So Marcum charger is charging, light is just not switching over.

gillfisher
    God's country - Wisconsin

I must have gotten lucky all three of my Marcum chargers will turn green when the batteries are charged.

bigwheel

Guess I jumped the gun went down this morning and it had turned to green. BBK this is suppose to be a 3 stage charger thats per the manual says you can just leave it plugged in.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

I would be waiting a long time for a green light to appear, I have 2 LX5’s and neither charger has an indicator light.

bigwheel

Haha Have you had good luck with the lx 5 other than no light on the charger?

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Marcum sent me a new one last year after a month of use on a new LX-5 for the same problem. Now it’s doing the same thing. I sent a email last week to Marcum but nothing back from them. Not real shocked I guess. Tried calling a few times but no answer. Makes me wonder about my next flasher I buy.

Marcum12

I fish mostly with the same 2 guys. We all have the 5’s. Of the 3 I am the only one who had any trouble with them. It started getting noisy like a vex. I stopped by Marcum. They had it fixed while I waited. It started doing the same thing in the spring when I turned it on after charging it. I called Marcum and sent it in. Had it back in a week with brand new head. No questions. Only paid for shipping to them. As far as their CS. I have nothing but good things to say about it. Yes sometimes it does take time to get a hold of them, but when you do they take time to talk to you. I should add that only one of us has the new charging system but he never has trouble with the light not turning green when charged.

TD Ramrod
    Menomonie, WI

Love the LX 5 and Marcum, the only thing I would do next season is sell 1 and get a 7.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.