Anyone used a TUC Power Precision for Lake Trout

• KeithNyst

I’m considering options for a Lake Trout rod that I could also use for Walleye. Anyone have experience with a TUC Power Precision for Lake Trout (mostly 30′ to 100′ FOW with spoons).

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Shooting from the hip here, but I’d think that a walleye rod and a lt rod would be significantly different. For walleye you are using around 1/4 oz lures and for lakers you’d be using 1/2 or more. Therefore different rods.

I’ve caught a few 6-7 lb lakers on a heavy/long walleye rod and felt it was vastly underpowered.

You may fish for lake trout more than me but that’s my thoughts.

tswoboda

Depends on where you’re going… Heavy walleye rods are fine for lakers 5 lbs or less, I’ve caught a lot on a Jason Mitchell 30″ walleye rod and it handles the smaller fish just fine. If you plan to catch fish bigger than that, then get yourself a true laker rod. Something stout for a good hookset and at least 36″ and moderate action to play the fish well.
    Big laker fishing with a heavy walleye rod is like deer hunting with a .223, there’s a good chance it’ll work but definitely not the best tool for the trade. Not worth losing a nice fish and good lake trout rods are relatively cheap because fiberglass blanks are ideal.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Id give TUC a call and talk with them, i think tehy might have a laker rod in the works. This could all be hear say, but worth looking into. -Q

adam@tucr

Quote:

Id give TUC a call and talk with them, i think tehy might have a laker rod in the works. This could all be hear say, but worth looking into. -Q

This is true, we do have laker rods. We are building them to order right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.