Southern Mn ice report (Roch and Faribault)

• tbrooks11

Fished out at Cascade yesterday, and limited out on crappies. Didnt catch much at all until 3 o clock hit, and found a hot hole a little shallower than what we were fishing all day. Caught 10 of the 15 in a matter of minutes once we hit the spot.

Today we fished out on French in faribault. We caught our only eye in the first few minutes of fishing at about 1030. Then we caught about 10 more crappie sporadically throughout the day. All fish were caught on little jigs and crappie minnows. Fished 28 fow, too cold to move to a different spot so we stuck with it all day and got some decent action. Couldnt buy a bite on fatheads on French.

We are heading back out to french tomorrow, but looking to get into a few more eyes. We fished out in the middle of the lake in front of the public access, where most of the houses are. Any ideas on where to go or maybe the depth we should look for?

Thanks

I should also mention that the owner of Nagels Bait in faribault is very rude. His minnows are extremely overpriced, he didnt help us at all on where to go or what to try, and he acted as if he didnt care at all that we stopped in. Many other bait shops in town, avoid that one IMO.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

How much ice did you find down there? We’re thinking abut looking for some panfish this weekend, maybe Mazaska or Shields. Thanks!

Rootski

Crickschop04

FYI- The limit on crappies at Cascade is 5. Just an FYI for next time you head out.

It was changed ~1 year ago. So not everyone has gotten accustomed to the new regs yet.

SPADED
    rochester,mn

Quote:

FYI- The limit on crappies at Cascade is 5. Just an FYI for next time you head out.

It was changed ~1 year ago. So not everyone has gotten accustomed to the new regs yet.

correct. on ALL olmsted ponds and res you can only take 5. if you read on the DNR website it says that you can take 10 panfish from cascade but only 5 of which can be black crappie. thx for the report tho- ive been out there for weeks.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

guessing because he said “we” limited and he had a total of 15 he may have had 3 people in the party?

tbrooks11

Yes, i was in a group of 3. There was plenty of ice, atleast 8-10 inches on French, people were driving trucks on the 1 main road out to the middle. I didnt drive my car on the lake, just thought it was a little to sketchy

tbrooks11

No problem at all my friend!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.