Rochester Ice Report

• tbrooks11

Went out today for just a little while on one of the Cascade Lakes in Roch. One was about half open, another one looked a little sketchy with a lot of shoreline open. But the southern most lake, closest to Country Club Rd., had about 3 inches of solid ice where we went. We didnt venture very far out, stuck to one little corner with no bites. Just nice to get out the first time this year!

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

buddy- you gotta be careful out there. I haven’t fished those lakes for 6-7 years but that south one is notorious for being the last one to freeze, and most area waterfowl distinctly choose it!!! I have heard of numerous that have taken a swim on that one. Glad you got out, and didn’t try exploring. Not trying to be an old gramps here, and I’m sure you know what you are doing, and cautious, but please be careful.

tbrooks11

Haha no thank you, i appreciate it! I think we got mixed up a bit, tough to explain if you’re not looking at the map, but the southern tip of the very west lake is the lake full of waterfowl, and wide open. I meant the middle lake i guess, the one closest to that large parking lot. Sorry for the confusion!

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

that’s the one i’m talking about That’s the one that is “typically” more goofy than the others year after year. Wouldn’t catch me out there without a spud bar, waterfowl or springs idk, but there are some goofy changes in ice thickness central and eastern portions on that one. Could be other areas, i don’t know, but i used to fish the north and south pits a bunch, but never iced the one to the west.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

p4walleye is dead on regarding that particular lake. We walked past that lake one morning a couple years ago and noticed a portable on the ice right about behind the fire station. It was cold and had been cold with plenty of ice on the west end near where we walked. When we left we ran into the guys who had the shack out there. They were soaking wet, frozen actually. When they went out the night before they had plenty of ice. Coming back they followed their own tracks and went thru. All three of them at once. One managed to get into the tub of the portable and help get the other two over to solid ice. These guys were froze…as in ice caked. They couldn’t even get in the pocket with their car keys for ice.

I know people have been out on KR5 and a couple other reservoirs but I don’t think the ice can be trusted yet. Mabe its just me and caution. I wouldn’t chance it especially at Cascade. Foster is right in line with Cascade too.

tbrooks11

Oh well shoot, thanks for sharing otherwise i may have ventured a little further out tomorrow. Ice seemed fine today!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The ice on that particular lake can change real fast. There are too many springs that affect it and they can change locations in a blink, especially on the east end. The west side doesn’t have the fishing that the east side does but the ice will be safer if you stay to that side.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Any Chester Woods ice reports?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.