Humminbird or Marcum???

• King Pout
    NE Minneapolis, MN

I have a Humminbird 597CI HD – should I buy the bird IceDucer, Power cable and Carry Case to make it a
    Winter setup, or jump in with the Marcum LX7?? I also have a Vexilar FL-18 which I have used for many years but like the idea of integrated GPS with the Bird, and the multiple config options with the Marcum…thoughts?

mower
    Wisconsin, Outagamie

If I had the $$$$ it’d be the Marcum. But then if you already have a vex. I guess I can’t help much.

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

Has there been any talk from Marcum about adding GPS functionality to their units. Now that would be a complete package!

broman

Quote:

Has there been any talk from Marcum about adding GPS functionality to their units. Now that would be a complete package!

I asked about that at the Fishing Show 2 years ago. Nothing planned said the sales person. But that is what I think they should have done first before the camera.

Chode2235

Quote:

Quote:

I asked about that at the Fishing Show 2 years ago. Nothing planned said the sales person. But that is what I think they should have done first before the camera.

I fish with a Lowrance Ice machine with GPS, and the GPS is nice but it absolutely kills the batteries.

I would probably go with the marcum, as the target seperation is much better.

If you do go with the ice kit, be sure you upgrade to a 9amp battery as that will give you much more run time with that power hungry gps running.

tswoboda

If you’re running a flasher/gps combo there are a few things you can do to help with battery life. First is get yourself a 12V 10ah battery… they can be had online for about $25 and are the same size as a typical 7ah battery but 1″ or so taller.

The second is if you don’t need to the GPS for awhile then manually shut the GPS off or put it into simulator mode… it will stop searching for satellites which is a big draw on the battery.

gillfisher
    God's country - Wisconsin

I have the LX-7, it is a sweet unit and also has a heater for the screen if the temps get cold, I have the same Humminbird on the bow of my boat and I use it on my four wheeler for GPS. I would not use the Humminbird for my ice fishing flasher. Just my preference though.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

I have the 597 like yours that I also have set up for ice fishing. Works great . I us the power cable from the boat and bought the ice ducer, my brother gave me a ice 55 case to complete the deal.
    The nice part is I know the features of it from using it in the summer. Good luck

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d buy a Micronar…

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Marcum hands down !!!

If your a hole hopper most times .. look into the LX-6 over the 7 for ease of movement…If your setting up in a more permanent situation then the 7 is the bigger unit. The 6 has all the features as the 7 but in a smaller profile,,

And to the question of GPS in the Marcum Digital Units.. Nothing in the near future..

Have fun in your fishing adventures !!

rippinlips
    Alexandria, MN

Without a doubt Marcum!

You won’t regret it!

-Dan

shaley
    Milford IA

Footprint on the 5-6-7 are the same as well as weight…Units themselves weight almost nothing, all the weight is the battery… I swap mine out for 12ah ones…

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Footprint on the 5-6-7 are the same as well as weight…Units themselves weight almost nothing, all the weight is the battery… I swap mine out for 12ah ones…

where do you get the 12ah ones shaley? pricing?

shaley
    Milford IA

Got themoff E Bay, cost was around $50 shipped for 2

sidescan

I use my Hummingbird 798si with a 11 amp motorcycle battery.I slide it in to a soft side case. Works great has flasher mode but I use mine on split screen dual beam. Good to have the GPS spots. Its very sensitive and very easy to watch the smallest jigs. I also use a Marcum 825. Would not fish without it. System has helped me land a few dozen good eyes so far this season. Fish safe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.