Marcum 5.6 showdowns

• benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Well I’m addicted to ice electronics I’m sorry but I just cant help it. Part of the fun of ice fishing is playing with the electronics. Maybe I should go to therapy

I currently have a LX-7, LX-5, a Showdown troller that is currently being upgraded to version 2, and LXi I also use Contour Elite with my netbook on the ice along with a Lowrance H20

But you know I don’t hear as much or see as much regarding the Marcum Showdown 5.6 and the Duel Beam 5.6?? I am thinking of getting one and looking for some feedback from those that have them. The specs look real impressive 1/2″ target separation great battery life and easy to use.

I don’t see them used much if at all on the in depth fishing shows. ( I think I watched most of them this week end on my smart TV via You tube) I am so pumped for Ice fishing!!

James Holst, I gotta say you and your team produce some very entertaining and educational programs. I even enjoyed the commercials from the sponsors I also enjoyed many of the “on ice” programs too and hope you guys continue with them this year.

Any way guys please chime in in your experiences with the 5.6 Show Downs and how they compare to other ice electronics

Thanks
    Benelli Bob

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can tell you that I love mine. FYI, I don’t have the dual beam.

The only issue I had was the fuse that came in earlier models, but Bret Clark straightened me out on that one. You have to use a fuse with a higher amp rating. Don’t quote me, but I believe that there is no longer a fuse on the Showdowns.

I guess the other issue was I broke the delicate transducer arm, despite reading repeated warnings on IDO before I bought it. I replaced it and I am extra careful when deploying it now. Not a problem anymore

I fish mostly panfish and I think this unit is perfect for my style. The vertical display is more pleasant for me, for lack of a better word.

I am curious why bother if you have an LX-7 where you can get the vertical display?

Anywho, here are some links:
    IDO Video

old-showdown-vs-marcum-showdown

ice-fishing-fish-finder-suggestions

icewhiskey
    Iowa

I love my showdown 5.6 dual beam. I use it up at Lake of the Woods fishing eyes and sauger in 16-30ft of water. And then come home to my panfish holes that are in 4-10ft of water. I love everything about the unit. Battery life is great and crazy easy to use. I really like it for taking out a youger or first time ice fisher. And as far as the cheap ducer arms marcum provides you can upgrade to a aluminum arm to insure that it will not break. This is not an option made by marcum, it’s by a second party. How do you like your Lx-7? I am looking to pull the trigger here any day know.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Any way guys please chime in in your experiences with the 5.6 Show Downs and how they compare to other ice electronics

Thanks
    Benelli Bob

Because all the MarCum / Showdown products share so much common technology “DNA” they all perform the same job in much the same manner. The main differences come down to the way the returning information is displayed. I personally like the circular color display of the original flashers and the new digital platforms. The Showdown’s vertical black and white display shows the same info using technologies shared in common with the flashers and digital platforms… they just do it in a vertical presentation.

Some people look at a flasher, see the circular display and instantly understand what they’re seeing. Others look at that same circular display and feel lost while the Showdown makes perfect sense to them.

So it really comes down to personal preference for the way the information is displayed and the form factor / shape size of the unit. Honestly, you’re not going to go wrong either way as any of the three basic platforms (mechanical, digital and vertical) all do a good job of performing the task at hand.

Hope this helps.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I don’t feel lost looking at a circular display, but the showdown is obviously more natural feeling.

Ok, I am lost when looking at a circular display.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I don’t feel lost looking at a circular display, but the showdown is obviously more natural feeling.

Ok, I am lost when looking at a circular display.

No question about it, the Showdown is more representative of the actual water column and my preference for the flasher dial comes from endless hours staring at one. You know what they say about old dogs….

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Quote:

I am curious why bother if you have an LX-7 where you can get the vertical display?

Thank you for your feedback I actually pay more attention to the vertical display and the zoom vertical display on the LX-7 more so then the circular display.
    I have been very pleased with the unit running v2.9 firmware and I will be upgrading to v3.01 when posted. I have no regrets thus far easy to read in all light conditions. If I tried to find one complaint is that it is rather large unit but it sure is nice seeing all that information on a large screen.

I just like to experiment with other products. My thinking is that a 5.6 would be also nice to have for a less experienced buddy. And sometimes I just like to go nostalgic
    and use the LX-5 (just picked up a new battery for it)

Then sometimes I start out with the ice troller and I just continue the rest of the day.

Question I have seen a few units on ebay used. How do I know if I am getting the 5.6 and not one of the older “lesser” units or are all the ones that Marcum has produced the 5.6??

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I absolutely love my showdown, extremely dependable I wouldn’t trade it for anything, I have used Lx 5’s before and they are okay but Ill stick with the showdown over the Lx 5 any day, love the vertical display. However I have never used an Lx 7 which seems like something of a hybrid of the Lx 5 and showdown, I wish the showdown would feature a color display to show the closeness of the fish instead of just a black line, however I will still stand by my showdown until it dies or breaks on me. My next step will be the lx 7 though gets me the best of both worlds. And to answer the ebay question I wouldn’t trust anything but if you do buy it make sure the seller accepts returns then you are covered.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Thank you for your feedback I actually pay more attention to the vertical display and the zoom vertical display on the LX-7 more so then the circular display.
    I have been very pleased with the unit running v2.9 firmware and I will be upgrading to v3.01 when posted. I have no regrets thus far easy to read in all light conditions. If I tried to find one complaint is that it is rather large unit but it sure is nice seeing all that information on a large screen.

I just like to experiment with other products. My thinking is that a 5.6 would be also nice to have for a less experienced buddy. And sometimes I just like to go nostalgic
    and use the LX-5 (just picked up a new battery for it)

Then sometimes I start out with the ice troller and I just continue the rest of the day.

Question I have seen a few units on ebay used. How do I know if I am getting the 5.6 and not one of the older “lesser” units or are all the ones that Marcum has produced the 5.6??

No problem. I do like that the Showdown keeps it basic and simple for me. I am the kind of guy who will never use a camera to fish, because for me it takes the magic and mystery out of ice fishing a little. The showdown lets me know there is something down there, where my bait is and how they are reacting. The target separation is probably my favorite feature.

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Well I bought one and really like it. Went Dual Beam. A very responsive unit and target separation is great and very easy to use.
    Thanks everyone
    Bob

carphumper
    MN,Lakeland

I have the aqua-vu version which looks exactly the same as the sho down. looking at the sho downs in the store there does not seem to be any difference (besides new software). I have used mine a very much and it is still working very good. I also had a problem with the crappy ducer arm but fixed it pretty easy. The wiring harness took a crap on mine also but i know this is a problem that they have fixed with the sho downs. Good luck

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.