Portable Mods

• Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

I know it’s early!

But just want to get the gears turning a little and get some of your ideas because I’m sure it’s going to be time to hit the ice before I know it with how busy the year has been so far.

I have an older fish trap voyaguer that I am planning on making a little more comfortable to fish out of. Reflectix insulation on the roof, back, and possibly sides by the seats. 4 clam led light strips, and one battery operated 80 led light for those times the strips just aren’t enough. 2 clam battery power seat heaters (these were on sale along with the lights, thought they would be a good buy if the better half ever wants to go out to keep her a little warmer). I was thinking about running the led lights and the seat heaters off 3 12 volt batteries stored in a battery box in the bottom of the sled and using rocker switches so I can isolate what I want on/off at certain times. I figure, 2 switches for light strips (meaning 2 strips on 1 switch), and a switch for each seat heater.

Not looking to spend a bunch of money on mods, the batteries I am getting from work to “dispose of”, they are on a cycle to be replaced every so often as a battery back up to safety lights, so that alone is saving me a lot of money. Just looking for some input on what you guys think would make a day on the ice a little easier and a little more comfortable.

Thanks

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

How is that tarp going to fold up with the insulation in there, and how did you fasten it? Otherwise sounds like its going to be pretty bright in there.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Hope all is well with you and the family sir. It’s been a long time.

From everything I’ve seen and read, it’s going to be a little bulkier folding up, but overall should still fold up fairly easy. I’m keep the side and possibly the back panels removeable, after I’m set up just using the poles to weave the insulation through and keep in place and just folding it up and putting in the sled for transport when I’m done. To attach to the top i’m still debating, but thinking that velcro straps through small holes in the insulation wrapped around the top bars should hold that in place pretty good. I’ve seen that done on other portables and it seemed to work pretty well. Thought about using some of the 3M spray adhesive on it as well but if I ever want to remove it for some reason that could be a downfall there.

hankthecrank
    Broken Bow, NE

I’ve installed the relectix too, but for this year I am going to have the wife sew up a black sleeve for it to fit into, the refection and the brightness is almost unbearable in a Scout trap.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Went another route on fastening the reflectix. Ended up just cutting panels to size to fit both the roof sections and the back. Used 3M Super 90. Just put everything together yesterday and it seems to be holding better than I thought it would so far. As far as folding it up, I haven’t tried that yet. I wanted to give the adhesive plenty of time to set up before I started moving things around. Will probably try that tomorrow night, but from what it looks like everything should fold up nice. Still need to finish the wiring though.

Keith Fischer

The biggest mistake I made was using plywood on the deck I
    put on my Magnum Otter sled, gets heavy quick. Thinking of
    trying to find some kind of honey comb fiberglass board or
    making a frame of aluminum square tube and covering with
    aluminum sheet, then carpet. May get a little spendy but I’d
    sure like to loose some weight.

Zach Peterson
    Austin, Mn

Fishkins- Maybe look into mocking up your deck the way you want it to be with cardboard and then use a fiberglass kit over the top of your mock up. That may save you some money over having to buy the fiberglass and will definitely shave some weight off.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.