Tips on setting Tip-Ups for Eyes.

• Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

I have a Beaver Dam Tip-up, & would like a few tips from guys experience on these.
    With the “T” on the spool & having the bigger notch and smaller notch.Which tension setting do you prefer over the two?

Also do you guys ever play around with the spring tension & if so what are some tips?

Lastly do you guys ever point the “T” end back towards your flag for a certain tension as well?

Thanks,

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

As far as notch settings go, I think it depends on wind conditions. If there is little or no wind I set mine on the tapered end between the notch and the end.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i always set mine on the lightest setting possible, if theres no wind i dont even put the flag in a notch just put it on the tee enough so it doesnt trip by itself

tslonek
    Coon Rapids,Mn

It would matter what you are using for bait as well. If you have a bigger size bait on like a sucker you would probably have to use a notch. Little bit of trial and error should get er dialed in as far as wind condition and bait size.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

The two variables that affect my sets have already been mentioned; wind speed and bait size.

Wind is the easier to manage of two as long as it’s from a constant direction. I tend to position my tip-ups such that the wind is always pushing the flag against the t-post, rather than pushing it away and off of it.

From there, the bigger notch almost always gets the nod when using bigger bait. When using the biggest of the big, I also make sure that when the fish takes line, the notched t-post arm is spinning towards the base of the flag arm rather than towards the tip. This is the heaviest setting you can provide on a standard tip-up.

For smaller bait, the lightest of light possible is the ticket, as it seems from experience that walleyes which take these baits are more sensitive to dropping or just mouthing it.

Joel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.