South Dakota/MN/WI Destinations?

• Zugunruhe

I told my boys that we’d head north (from Central Iowa) for Spring Break and get some ice fishing in since they’ve been on the ice here only twice this year. I’d appreciate some suggestions for locations to check out in SD/WI/MN with the intent of keeping the drive there under 7 hours. Tempted to head to ND but I’m not sure they’r up for that enduro drive to Devil’s Lake just yet.

Not necessarily looking for trophy fish (numbers would be better – we’re dealing with an 8 and 10 year old, though they’re both fairly accomplished ice fishermen)but the allure of jumbo perch and crappies will get our attention.

Any suggestions? Dates would be March 19-23.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

With the dates being that late your only option might be LOTW.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

It would be a great time of the bite swing to be on LOW. Im not sure if that fits into your time schedule but the bite will be good all day long.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

That is really late to find safe ice except for way north. You might suggest a Mississippi walleye hunt instead. They are usually going during that time frame.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Leech lake is prety much a guarantee that time of year to be ON for jumbos. Plenty of smaller lakes in the area there also with the big slabs you are looking for. Actually Leech has some dandy craps too, but can be hard to find more than a handful.
    Alot of nice lakes in the Waubay area of SD also, but ice might be getting crap there by that time.

Do you have a wheeler to get around with?

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

I’m not sure you are interested in this option, but my grand kids all like the idea. The Great Alma Fishing Float opens on Friday March 23. They have a website you can look at. A chance to walk around on the float while you fish for walleye & who knows what on the river. They have a great little cafe with pancakes, burgers & the ever popular ‘Mess’. The northerns might be active, too. If you come up through Wabasha, you may find ice in the backwaters. There are usually sunfish in Pontoon Slough & the surrounding area. Plus, we always stop for ice cream cones at the Nelson Cheese Factory. You can’t lose if you have ice cream!

chomps
    Sioux City IA

that’s about the same time frame a few of us are looking at the Waubay area, will wait another two weeks, Webster has a few more lodging options. Leech is also a good option, not sure who has better ice now, or who will have good enough ice at that time, but keep your options open.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Here’s an alternate in the event that the ice idea doesn’t cooperate. Lake MI tributaries for steelhead OR near shore and harbors by boat for browns, lakers, and steelhead. Most of the ributaries have enough room/trails where the boys will be doing some hiking. A lot of moving from hole to hole, so it keep them occupied. Plus hooking up on a nice steelie in the river will give them a great memory of the trip. – If you do consider that route, shoot me a pm and I’ll help you out.

Zugunruhe

Thanks for the replies guys, I’ll look into some of your suggestions and evaluate closer to the dates I mentioned. Last year at that time, north central Iowa lakes still had 13-16″ of ice and we had a great time hole hopping in 40 degree weather.

Today, all of the farm ponds south of I-80 are wide open and most of the lakes south of Hwy 20 are at least half open if not more. Snow geese and speckle bellies are here and the Canadas and mallards never left
    Not exactly what I’d call Iowa winter!?!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

If you want to keep tabs on NE SD, call this place. They have always been very forthcoming with info for me.

Sportsman’s Cove

Zugunruhe

I think we’re going to buckle down and make the trip to North Dakota. Buddy of mine has in-laws in the Woodworth area and they do really well on the jumbos. $15 three day license, kids don’t need one, possession limit of 80. Hopefully it will be worth the 600 miles to get there! I’ve hunted North Dakota several times and absolutely love the state and its people, nothing but the best of experiences- looking forward to the fishing!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.