RainyDaze Guide Service 12-19-11

• Willy Wonka
    Forest Lake, Mn.

Years of dreaming, months of planning, and poof it’s all a memory. I wanted to go on a guided fishing trip to Rainy Lake for quite some time. It seemed every year it was pushed back for one reason or another. This last summer it was decided that this was the year. I wasn’t at first sure with whom we should go. That changed really fast as I began following RainyDaze on the IDO web site. Chris’s accomplishments as a guide certainly were noted by our party, and with that, the wheels began to turn.

I started making inquiries to RainyDaze last February. Chris was about the most patient person I’ve ever dealt with. I would think of a handful of questions and fire off an e-mail and like clockwork, he would promptly reply. Pike have always been a favorite of mine to target. The problem with living close to the metro is that a shot at a large pike is tough to come by. I knew from following Chris’s writings and viewing the many pictures of the countless mammoth pike he has dealt with, that even though there were no guarantees, the odds were better than anything we had going.

We finally decided that on December 19th our day of chasing flags for northern pike was going to happen. Our party would comprise of my wife, my sister-in-law, and myself. At Chris’s urging, we booked a couple nights at the Thunderbird Lodge on Rainy. Needless to say, the time could not have dragged by any slower. With the crazy late-October and early-December weather, I didn’t know what would happen. One day it would cool down and then for three days in a row we would be losing ice. Every once in awhile I would send Chris a note and he would assure me that things weren’t great but that we would have enough ice to get out. I would always promptly tell this to my wife who was sure we were all going to end up dying. Yup, she was a tad reluctant.

We arrived at the Thunderbird on the afternoon of the 18th. What a beautiful complex. We dined in their restaurant and then headed off to our room for the longest night of my life. By 4 am, I was ready even though Chris said, “I’ll meet you at 7:30 am.” By 7am, we were all set for our day with RainyDaze. At 7:25, we spotted the white Dodge we were waiting for. Chris had already been to the lake and had the houses warming up. After brief introductions it was off to the lake and a short ride across the ice.

Chris was every bit the seasoned professional in person as he portrayed through his correspondence. Since we were strictly interested in pike, we set up all the tip ups baited with the biggest sucker minnows I have ever used. Chris said, “You have to throw them a home run ball if you want a big one.”

I would like to say that we hammered the pike on my dream trip, but unfortunately that wasn’t the case this time. We caught pike and missed pike, baited and re-baited. In the end, as the sun started to set, the lunkers of Rainy, would be well-rested and able to do battle a different day.

We all enjoyed our day with Chris. We could tell he was disappointed in not being able to expand his search due to the ice conditions. Sure, it would have been great to hook into a monster but my time visiting with a true professional will always be fondly remembered.

The girls had fun and so did I. Anyone wanting a first class guided trip can’t go wrong with a day in the world of RainyDaze!

Marv

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Great read Marv

arklite881south

Marv,

I can honestly say I am one of the luckiest guys on earth. My customer base if filled with classy anglers like you and the gals. I’m often asked about bad days or bad customers. Sure we all have a few war stories, but I’ll admit most of my customer base ROCKS!! As a fishing guide frankly I’m quite disgusted when the fish don’t cooperate or ice conditions won’t warrant further travel. Still the time spent shoulder to shoulder with fellow anglers is priceless. Our laughing and joking about fishing memories both good and bad has me chuckling to myself as I henpeck this response. You likely know precisely what I’m talking about, but some of your experiences and mine as well literally make a guy shake his head.

The gals simply amazed me with both patience and excitement and I so wanted them to tangle with the beast on our day of fishing. My wife says I take my job to personally. LOL!! I tell her I’m a poor loser and want customers to win with a big fish on EVERY TRIP. I realize this is not realistic. When flags flew the excitement was intense and I will only be left to imagine a 40 incher brought in hand over hand by your team.

The massive fish of Rainy Lake in which we target can be both predictable and some days elusive. We would prefer the predictable nature…….

I’m not sure if I can say I enjoyed not catching big fish that day, but can definatley say your crew is FIRST class. I’m very fortunate that a very large percentage of my clients are seasoned anglers. We BEAT the fish one day and the fish BEAT us the next. Fisherman that have logged ice time recognize sometimes you tip your hat to the fish and lace them up the next day for a smackdown. As I say when walking off the ice after a tough day……….THERE WILL be BIG FISH REDEMPTION!!!

Turns out Marv……… YESTERDAY I landed an elite caliber fish that I wish your crew would have been proudly holding. I ended up walking out 3.5 miles to assure the ice would hold my atv. You know what we were faced with. I then walked back 3.5 miles and loaded up my gear. As I mentioned to you I don’t do well in small spaces, so I really wanted to get out into the main basin and get busy. Well I made it without getting wet, and I think when you see my first “ON ICE” clip you might sense a bit of both excitement and a feeling of redemption on my face when YOU KNOW WHO SLAMMED MY SPOON!!

Again your comments mean so much to me I don’t know even how to express my gratitude. I realize everyone expects to land the trophy when the fish with us. I get it and I try to achieve the goal. It is unbelievably refreshing to see a guy that DIDN’T land the beast still enjoy our day on the ice.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice write up There is just something about seeing that orange flag in the air

arklite881south

Quote:

Great read Marv

From yet another of my favorite customers. YOU GUYS ROCK!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No one puts that much effort into a write up when they weren’t on fish unless they were overly happy with the service.

Congrats Mr. Electricity!

arklite881south

Quote:

No one puts that much effort into a write up when they weren’t on fish unless they were overly happy with the service.

Congrats Mr. Electricity!

Thanks BK….Really I’m taken back. I am a bit “Sparky”. The kind words from so many customers I’ve received in recent months makes everything worth it!! Slush or thin ice……Busted snowmobiles and broken augers…..Appreciative anglers

It is NOT uncommon for chest bumps and high fives on a Rainydaze trip. There is NO FAKING excitement. DO IT because you LOVE TO DO IT!!

cravin4mor
    Isle, MN

BrianK and Bambino I could not agree more. We had a group there on the 17th and 18th and it was nothing short of a first class experience. We caught many pike, and some walleye that were perfect eaters.

You could see the frustration Chris had in knowing where we were and where he wanted us to be. But with the curveball mother nature had thrown our way he made safety the priority and we thank him for that.

As a group we have already decided to lock down the dates for the same time period in 2012 and guys if you get the chance to go with Chris you wont regret it. Worth every penny!!!

arklite881south

Quote:

BrianK and Bambino I could not agree more. We had a group there on the 17th and 18th and it was nothing short of a first class experience. We caught many pike, and some walleye that were perfect eaters.

You could see the frustration Chris had in knowing where we were and where he wanted us to be. But with the curveball mother nature had thrown our way he made safety the priority and we thank him for that.

As a group we have already decided to lock down the dates for the same time period in 2012 and guys if you get the chance to go with Chris you wont regret it. Worth every penny!!!

NOW I’m blushing. YOU BOYS were an absolute RIOT!! BTW….Cheryl loves the new jokes I learned.

Not that it helps, but nearly 3 weeks later than normal we are accessing SOME main basin water.

cravin4mor
    Isle, MN

Chris

My barter offer is still open if you want to take me up on it.
    You come to work with me for a couple of days and in return I will go to work with you for a couple days.

I am sure the guys on here will assure you that would be a great trade agreement. This offer wont be good forever so you may consider jumping on it in the next 30-40 years.

arklite881south

Quote:

Chris

My barter offer is still open if you want to take me up on it.
    You come to work with me for a couple of days and in return I will go to work with you for a couple days.

I am sure the guys on here will assure you that would be a great trade agreement. This offer wont be good forever so you may consider jumping on it in the next 30-40 years.

I do have some “Crafty” carpenter skills!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.