Frabill Ice Suit – confessional

• kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

I posted a while ago some mixed emotions about My Frabill Ice Suit once it arrived. I know, I know perhaps I should have done a lil’ more research (reading) before hitting the “add to cart” button but the 100 beans off couldn’t be resisted.

Well much to my surprise I’m here to say the crow didn’t taste as bad next to the low walleyes.

The Ice Suit has an incredily light weight layer of insulation. Here’s the scenario. Friday, Dec. 9 lake of the woods, high for the day minus 10. Big Buddy in the non-insulated Otter Lodge and I was hot, hot, hot from the bibs down… Knee design combined with entire design makes these a great option when looking for versatile wet gear bibs. Wifey plans to wear the jacket and I anticipate the same surprise in regards to insulation…

FYI – I have zero affiliation with Frabill

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Hey Kurt, is that the gray suit or the black? I have a black suit waiting for me under the tree and I am really looking forward to using it.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Gray. Guess you better practice your surprised look for Christmas day….

I’m impressed and look forward to a few more outings.

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

I too just got the gray suit used it last weekend. I really like it. I mainly fish out of a shelter. And I think this is a perfect suit for the guy who layers and wants to save some dough. I was wearing just jeans a long John shirt and a hooded sweatshirt. Was perfectly comfortable out on the ice for 5-6 hours.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Reminds me why I’m such a crappy reporter… forgot to mention: minus 10 polar tech sweats (sweaty b@lls… not good! 34 above next day and commando underneath and it was PERFECT! All in a shelter w big buddy & fan.

fwiw

trouter18

I saw the grey suit and was interested in it too. Do you think it could double during open water colder season against rain?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

What’s the difference in the black suit (Ice Suit Frabill at the Frabill site) and the grey suit (just Frabill Suit at the site)? besides price…

Are the grey one’s “Ice Suits” as well?? Kinda confused

jack conrad

The Frabill suit is new this year,lightly insulated and meant to be layered under,The Ice Suit is black and heavier insulation,the 2 are sold as a set.The snosuit is sold as seperate pieces and colors are either red or grey and is the warmest of the 3

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Kind of what I was thinking. Still confused to OPs / Kurt’s review. Was it for the grey Frabill suit or the grey Snosuit? Or did the Icesuits come in grey at one time? Interested in getting some new icefishing duds, just wanna know what’s what when I’m looking.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

In terms of warmth-
    Snosuit is the ultimate
    Ice suit is next
    Frabill Suit is next,
    The storm suit, is completely different, it is top of the line rain gear.

I have all the suits, except the Ice Suit…
    I love them all and each has their own specific applications.
    I can’t wait to use the Frabill Suit when the weather gets warm here in Iowa, and I have to walk a long ways on the ice. This suit will be perfect!

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Kind of what I was thinking. Still confused to OPs / Kurt’s review. Was it for the grey Frabill suit or the grey Snosuit? Or did the Icesuits come in grey at one time? Interested in getting some new icefishing duds, just wanna know what’s what when I’m looking.

This is where the mystery begins… According to Reed’s website the black and gray have titles “Ice Suit” (see photo) and Frabill’s website has the black one as an Ice suit.

So your on your own to decifer as you will. If you order it and don’t like it, just return it or exchange. Nothing to rile up a hemohhroid over…

Note to Frabill – get some of your staff around a table and consider your fleets naming convention. You might be leaving some easy money on the table as some other quality brands may be easier to decifer. But then again maybe it’s just me…. So far my Gray Ice Suit rocks and can’t wait to wear it in mild, wet weather. Warm, wet and the frogg toggs will be on. Cold and it’s time to layer up with polartech fleece…

Sorry if this didn’t alleviate your confusion. It didn’t mine either…

http://www.reedssports.com/Category/main.taf?cat=2583&pc=1904

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

Note to Frabill – get some of your staff around a table and consider your fleets naming convention. You might be leaving some easy money on the table as some other quality brands may be easier to decifer. But then again maybe it’s just me….

Not just you Kurt. It’s not a big deal, but Frabill’s naming and store ads (Reed’s) do lead to confusion. I was just noticing the “confusion” as I was paging through a Reed’s flyer.

I may be wrong, but the Frabill site doesn’t help differentiate the difference in the grey and black either, minus the price. Great products (happy owner of an FXE Stormsuit), but lacking site / on-line information at the site. A bit of clarity is nice when you’re dealing with a fairly substantial purchase.

ADDENDUM: Full specs are on the site. Just gotta “dig” a little.

Kurt, Thanks for the clarification of what you’ve got. Luke H., thanks for the clear, concise report/ review. I think I know which “suit” I’m wanting.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Kurt, Thanks for the clarification of what you’ve got. Luke H., thanks for the clear, concise report/ review. I think I know which “suit” I’m wanting.

No prob! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Quote:

In terms of warmth-
    Snosuit is the ultimate
    Ice suit is next
    Frabill Suit is next,
    The storm suit, is completely different, it is top of the line rain gear.

I have all the suits, except the Ice Suit…
    I love them all and each has their own specific applications.
    I can’t wait to use the Frabill Suit when the weather gets warm here in Iowa, and I have to walk a long ways on the ice. This suit will be perfect!

Luke its almost 50 today…..put it on and keep walking until you find the ice. Then call me and I’ll pick you up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.