The Good, The BETTER, THE BEST (Ice Fishing Boots)

• Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Question! This might be a dumb one, so I have not got new ice fishing boots for like 10 years and i really need a new pair. The last pairs of boots i have gotten were for deer hunting and i have a 600 gram and 1000 gram thinsulate ultra.

http://www.basspro.com/Irish-Setter-Gunflint-10-Waterproof-1000-Gram-Thinsulate-Insulated-Hunting-Boots-for-Men/product/10201733/41744

I wouldn’t wear my 1000 gram hunting boots ice fishing because i know they wouldn’t be warm enough. Why would the Alpha Ice Kings be warmer than these?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Not a dumb question at all, and I’ll speak mostly from past experience here.

Your average deer hunting boot advertised with x00 grams of thinsulate is simply not an ice fishing boot for a number of reasons. I own some of these too, but the first thing you’ll notice about these is the different construction altogether. On most of these types of boots, there’s a sole, stitched to leather uppers which have quilted insulation inside.

Pac boots are a different beast. Typically larger in the toe with more insulation (and air-space), these boots are designed for keeping you warmer in stationary positions, rather than being a hiking boot with warmth engineered as an after-thought. I’ve tried the Hiking/Pac Boot hybrids, and have never been satisfied with warmth or waterproofing.

I just picked up a pair of the alpha ice-kings this year through WorkbootHaven, so I can’t speak to their performance. That said, I’ve owned the same pair of Ice Kings (their predecessor) since I was a teenager, and they’re still the warmest boot I’ve ever owned. The Alpha Ice King is lighter, and appears to be more sleek and mobile than the older Ice King, which is something I’m excited about trying. Cold feet is no fun, and I’m confident that the Alpha’s won’t sell me short in that category.

Joel

Joef421
    SW Wisconsin

Thanks Joel, I had a hunch that it just came down to design of the boot. I think it has alot to do with the amount of air gap in a pac boot vs a hunting boot. This grams of thinsulate scale is a little annoying, i wish they would just give you an R value for a boot, much like home insulation. Somehow 3M marketed their insulation brand well enough that we all use the weight of it as a scale

shockers
    Rochester

Guys. I’m also looking at the Ice Kings and was wondering how newer Ice Kings are holding up. I see lots of guys speak very highly of their Ice Kings that they’ve owned for years, but I’m curious if those who’ve purchased Ice Kings in last year or two are also satisfied. I guess the newer models are made in China now (or maybe not, not sure on that) and was wondering if you’ve found the latest versions/models to be just as solid as the old ones. Thanks.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ll tell you at the end of this season, but I’m not sure I’d want to wait that long to know! In all seriousness, the past two ice seasons I’ve been through 2 pairs of ice boots – leakers each. I’ve got high expectations this year.

Joel

crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Just got a pair of the military issued “Bunny Boots”, they actually look like they’ll keep my feet pretty toasty, although they look kind of goofy….

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Had a pair of bunny boat for years. Always keep my feet warm. As I got old the issue was they would start to cramp up my feet to the point I couldn’t wear them any more. Good boots for a cheap price.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

This may be a little off topic wil and Wendy but do you sell any high tech secret boot cleats that are unknown to the public?

Sick of breaking straps on 20-30 dollar pairs. Hell! Even some of the 50 dollar ones either don’t have spikes rearranged well, straps don’t last more then 10 miles walking without breaking, or they don’t stay on well.
    Just want a pair that works well and lasts a whole season.

Thanks in advance wil & wendy

<~~~matt

JonnyMayz
    Hastings,MN

I bought a pair of Baffin Boots. I’d never heard of them but they weigh about 2lbs each are rated to -94F and were $100. I love them.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Looking at the Silencer HD 8

I ware a 9 W in a sneaker has a little play but fits how I would like a boot to fit… I need easy on and easy off as I have had both hips completely replaced…

My questions is will these boots be true to size ? True to width ?

thanks in advance

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I’ve got a pair of ice kings I’ve had for as long as I can remember 15 years water proof and warmth down fall a bit on heavy side for long treks but a solid product no doubt worth every penny on cold days

gman58
    stillwater

+1 for the baffins

DRH1175

I would say the best are Baffin’s I have the evoulutions rated at -74. They are real warm. Or you can go Apex that are rated at -148. And very Light

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

What’s the IDO discount worth? Also, is the true? I have heard the shoelace eyelets on the Alpha Kings pop out and guys have had problems with the reviews I’ve read on the boots. I NEED a new pair of boots desperately, my only thing that holds me back from being on the ice so long. I HATE frozen, numb feet, and I’m not alone! haha

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wil or Wendy should be along Corey. The Ido discount is listed Here<<

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

We have only heard of one instance of an eyelet being bad on the Alpha Ice Kings. The boots were exchanged with no problem by LaCrosse. The IDO Discount you’ll receive from us at workboothaven is 12% off, and you’ll also have our backing. If you have any problem with boots purchased from us we’ll do everything we can to make it right for you!
    Wendy & Wil Heiser Ph: 763-242-0943

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hi Corey:

I’ve got a more official review coming, but no issues with popped rivets or lace-holders yet.

Joel

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I order “The Alpha Ice King” 1ast week. It took two days to arrive.

They feel like slippers.Nice and light comfortable and definitely keep your feet warm and supported.

I wore them all weekend Ice fishing and all I can say is they are worth the money.

One thing and maybe it is just me. Everytime you put your foot in the liner goes down by your heel. Slightly annoying for a person that the last pair of boots(had since 98) I could just slip my foot in and out with out even bending over.

Oh and I did get the IDO Discount so Thankyou to WorkBootHaven and W&W.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks Aquajoe. We realy appreciate the thumbs up. Im not sure how to keep the liners up. On mine i try to keep them not too tigh. Thank you Wil and Wendy

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

ThanksJoel. Well put. I thought this thread was dead. I will do a better job of checking in..Wil

wismitty
    Janesville wisconsin

I have had the best luck with cabelas predator extreme boots. i beat the living he-double toothpicks out o these and haven’t had a bad pair yet. I do not and do not want to judge anyone one elses views on boots. I would not and have never had a pair of cold weather boots for over 2 years. I do not wear rED wINDS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. wHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WEAR COLD WEATHER BOOTS LONGER THAN 2 YEARS EVEN INTERIMITINGNLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spend alot of time in adverse elements and have had the afore mentioned boots. They are good yes but there are better.Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I have had the best luck with cabelas predator extreme boots. i beat the living he-double toothpicks out o these and haven’t had a bad pair yet. I do not and do not want to judge anyone one elses views on boots. I would not and have never had a pair of cold weather boots for over 2 years. I do not wear rED wINDS FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. wHY WOULD YOU WANT TO WEAR COLD WEATHER BOOTS LONGER THAN 2 YEARS EVEN INTERIMITINGNLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spend alot of time in adverse elements and have had the afore mentioned boots. They are good yes but there are better.Just my 2 cents worth.

What?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can now say with authority the LaCrosse Icemans are very good cold weather boots. Probably the warmest pack boots I have ever owned. Its worth noting however that I replaced stock liners with good old fashioned felt liners. Maybe not warmer but they fit me a lot better.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I was the popped rivet guy and I had my new boots in a size bigger in 2 days. I’ve worn them a couple dozen times. The Alpha ice king is a great boot. I’m getting older and I still get cold feet but if I walk around a bit I’m good to go. They are like tennis shoes compared to my icemen that wore out after 8-10 years of hard use. The rivets are holding fine on the new ones. I highly recommend Workboot. Great service. and good personable mid west folks.

Workboot
    Coon Rapids, MN

Thanks! Good to hear the Alpha’s are working out!

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

I wore Ice Kings for years and they are the warmest boot around. But too heavy. Next year i’m switching to Baffin

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.