Last go in the metro of minnesota…

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Got to a spend a few hours with Travp sight fishing bluegills and crappies!

Beautiful weather, although if we would have had sun all day it would have been a whole other story!
    We were working a 9 foot deep weed flat that had some awesome awesome weeds in it! Fish were everywhere! A lot of times you would have 3 or 4 gills looking at your offering.

Bright colors ruled the day like the orange flavored fatboys. We were using the Gojo’s paired up with the fatboys and it was a deadly set up.

We were hole hopping with Thorne Bros. Sweet pea rods, 16 inch rods its kinda funny, but you would look straight down the hole and a longer rod really made it difficult to do that.

It was like looking in an aquarium! BIG pike, bass, crappies and gills were all using this weed flat.
    It was really neat watching the bluegills eat and seeing the crappies. I am sure Travp is looking forward to next years late ice and hitting this spot again! Some of those crappies were absolute hogs and they will haunt me! Ask mala, or trav about the crappie we all saw with a new fat boy still dangling! Argh, It’ll be a lot bigger as there ain’t nothing in that lake to eat that thing!

Heres a few shots, you can see some nice fills down there but none that I wanted, and eventually the one hooked itself. The first part when I drop the camera down was when the big seed came in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bqV2jrTwo0

As soon as the sun would come up high in the sky and bright, the crappies came in thick! Nothing to see 6 to 8 fish down the hole! Than it was pull away from the small ones or hope they would spit it out all while still keeping the attention of the bruisers.

After seeing and catching and taping 12s there was a distinct difference in size to those MUCH bigger! It was wild!

Amazing Girth!

Tried to do it again but just could not do it! Coming off saturday and “feeling like a ninja” we knew it would be hairy at best, but we were gonna do our best to get on but just couldn’t do it!
    Now its time to put the waders back on and start stalking the shallow bullrushes!

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Some great pic’s – I can not believe you were still able to get on anywhere in the Metro.

wilson1984

Great report and some great pics!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Looks like a nice end to the season Chris. Those where some great reports this winter.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Some great pic’s – I can not believe you were still able to get on anywhere in the Metro.

We BARELY were able to get out. There were spots where the ice would start to sink and you would have to back up. It was a blast though!

brittlab
    North Central Iowa

thank for the report!

lhprop1
    Eagan

What’s the name of the plastic tail you’re using in the 1st pic? That’s a strange looking whatchamacallit.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

That’s a J&S gojo. Thorne Brothers sells them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.