Ice force 12v lithium battery

• Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Does anyone know if the new ice force lithium battery works with vexilars. Or is only compatible with marcum products?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hey Matt – It’ll work just fine. It’s still just a 12V battery, with longer run time, lighter weight, and much faster charging. Take the plunge, you can carry more rods and tackle when you hole-hop when your sonar is a couple pounds lighter. )

Joel

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Thanks for the response Joel, I think I will for sure. The lighter the better when your hole hoping hundreds of holes a day.

DakotaFowler

Will the old battery life
    meters work the same on these lithium batteries?

turkeynate
    Iowa

No the battery indicators won’t work. Only takes a couple hrs to charge them though. I have two of the ice force lithiums and love them. Take the plung it’s worth it!

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Good to know on the battery status indicator, didnt think of that. Doesn’t matter anyways if your like me and charge after every use. Sounds like a great investment!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

One of the cool things about the Marcum LX-6 and LX-7 is that they have a voltage gauge so you can always see the strength of your battery… I’ve used the Ice Force lithium now for two years and it will run my LX-7 for a full weekend of fishing (20+ hrs) without needing a charge.

tucrs
    NW Metro

That is awesome Will. I will have to get one knowing that. The LX7 does eat through batteries a little faster than the old FL8.

DakotaFowler

Another question on the lithium batteries for those in the know…

The Marcum website lists the compatible units with the lithium battery. I’m looking to buy the new VS485C and would like to use the lithium for longer run time, but this camera isn’t on the list for units the battery works with. Has the list not been updated for this years units? Or does the battery really not work or fit this new camera?

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

I think you have to buy a different charger for the Lithium battery as well….i remember reading somewhere that the charger that comes with a LX-7 for example can only get a Lithium battery to something like 50% charged.

EDIT…yup just checked Rapala.com….If you want the Lithium Battery, you also need the $39 Lithium charger.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Another question on the lithium batteries for those in the know…

The Marcum website lists the compatible units with the lithium battery. I’m looking to buy the new VS485C and would like to use the lithium for longer run time, but this camera isn’t on the list for units the battery works with. Has the list not been updated for this years units? Or does the battery really not work or fit this new camera?

@DakotaFowler

I’m sure that’s an oversight. My experience with cameras is that any camera that can be run off a 12 v. gel cell can be powered with a 12 v. lithium battery.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I think you have to buy a different charger for the Lithium battery as well….i remember reading somewhere that the charger that comes with a LX-7 for example can only get a Lithium battery to something like 50% charged.

EDIT…yup just checked Rapala.com….If you want the Lithium Battery, you also need the $39 Lithium charger.

@Wgorby
    is 100% correct. Not only will a “regular” charger be unable to fully charge a lithium battery but it can also damage the battery as well.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It looks like they use separate technologies (lithium Ion in the Ice Force vs Lithium Iron Phosphate in the Solar Sportsman) Wondering if anyone has used both?

I’ve used the Ice Force version for the last couple seasons but I don’t have any experience with the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and wouldn’t know the advantages, or disadvantages, if any.

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

Just ordered my battery yesterday! It will be going into my fl-18/Lowrance elite 4 combo!

Attachments:
    1. image4.jpg

fisherman-andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve James wrote:</div>
    It looks like they use separate technologies (lithium Ion in the Ice Force vs Lithium Iron Phosphate in the Solar Sportsman) Wondering if anyone has used both?

I’ve used the Ice Force version for the last couple seasons but I don’t have any experience with the Lithium Iron Phosphate battery and wouldn’t know the advantages, or disadvantages, if any.

YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO FUNNY! The Rapala is a LifePO4 battery = Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate. The Solar Sportsman appears to be from wording in their detail on their site as Lithium Ion but its “unspecified” I am certain its likely LifeP04 also due to the mfg. being Lithionics LI3 batteries. So it should be the same type of battery.

The term “Lithium-ion” battery is a general term. There are many different chemistries for Lithium-Ion batteries including LiCoO2 (cylindrical cell), LiPo, and LiFePO4 (cylindrical/prismatic cell)

Lithium Iron Phosphate is newest addition of Lithium battery technology compared to older Lithium Ion base on cobalt, manganese, NCM material base.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries provides several advantages over traditional Lithium-ion batteries based on LiCoO2. LiFePO4 batteries provide much higher specific capacity, superior thermal and chemical stability, enhanced safety, improved cost performance, enhanced charge and discharge rates, compact size, light weight, and enhanced cycle life. LiFePO4 batteries can offer a cycle life of over 2,000 charge cycles!

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Thanks Andy, I wish they would have had useful courses in Chemistry class like this!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve James wrote:</div>

YOU GUYS ARE WAY TOO FUNNY! The Rapala is a LifePO4 battery = Lithium Ion Iron Phosphate. The Solar Sportsman appears to be from wording in their detail on their site as Lithium Ion but its “unspecified” I am certain its likely LifeP04 also due to the mfg. being Lithionics LI3 batteries. So it should be the same type of battery.

The term “Lithium-ion” battery is a general term. There are many different chemistries for Lithium-Ion batteries including LiCoO2 (cylindrical cell), LiPo, and LiFePO4 (cylindrical/prismatic cell)

Lithium Iron Phosphate is newest addition of Lithium battery technology compared to older Lithium Ion base on cobalt, manganese, NCM material base.

Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries provides several advantages over traditional Lithium-ion batteries based on LiCoO2. LiFePO4 batteries provide much higher specific capacity, superior thermal and chemical stability, enhanced safety, improved cost performance, enhanced charge and discharge rates, compact size, light weight, and enhanced cycle life. LiFePO4 batteries can offer a cycle life of over 2,000 charge cycles!

Thanks for clarifying. I’ve never looked into the chemistry that goes into the Ice Force battery. I just know it works and that I need to get them charged and ready to hit the ice some time late next week.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

thanks

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.