Ice Fishing on Lake Wisconsin

• skuman777

Does anyone have any info or tips for ice fishing on lake Wisconsin? Its a few hours from my house and I’ve fished it during the open water season and have done pretty good on crappie and walleye. I’m sure there is not any ice on it yet or at least not safe ice. This is the year I decided to get into ice fishing and dying to try my new gear.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

There is safe ice by Whalen’s Grade (bass, panfish & pike) and on many of the bays, but I’d not venture out on the main lake yet. Warming trend opened up some water below the trestle and I’ve heard rumors of the Merrimac ferry potentially resuming it’s duty.

I do OK on crappies and white bass on the main lake through the ice, evenings and after dark are best, but walleyes are incredibly inconsistent here through the ice. I keep trying to crack the code but no repeatable patterns have emerged for me yet.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m sure someone has it figured out for the wintering eyes. I tried for a couple years back around 93′-95′ when I lived over there. As Gary said, inconsistent. My theory is they are constantly moving amongst the stump field. Open water advantage is the amount of water you can cover – regardless of trolling or casting. When it comes to ice, you cover only a fraction of the area.

We stumbled upon some good sauger areas in the southern area of the lake while fishing bass tournaments. Those areas repeated well in late summer and icefishing for a few quality sauger.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I iced fished it a lot last winter, hitting my fall walleye and sauger spots. Thru the ice i only managed 1 sauger and a dozen white bass over 5 trips out there. Everything was caught jigging had no flags pop

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I gave up ice fishing it. I fish Petenwell or Castle Rock instead. They are significantly better ice fishing, which is odd since they are the same river system, but it is what it is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.