Ice fishing horseshoe chain

• Logan robinson

Anyone know how to access knaus lake on the horseshoe chain? Looking to get out and fish there but do not see any easy access points on the map. I’m able to drive a ways with a 4 Wheeler depending on ice thickness of course, but I do not see any public landings on the east side of the chain and very worried about it being safe since I know the current can be strong in some parts of the river.

CBMN
    North Metro

That is about the worst part of the chain for access and current. Landing in Cold Spring, but you will not make it back to Knaus Lake from CS. Other than getting to know a private party I have no advice for you.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Correct, put in on the Cedar Island access, much better ice and Cedar by far has the best fish populations in the Chain. That has been my home lake the last 20 years, I know it in & out….

CBMN
    North Metro

I agree with Joe, cedar island and horseshoe offer better and safer opportunities. Still a few problem areas but should be ok staying to the traveled areas but watch out for channels if you venture off the beaten path.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Horseshoe has several ice spots that get sketchy (Meth hole, anywhere near the bridge)

stay safe and stick with Cedar Island, lots of good structure close to the access on 71…

Logan robinson

Thanks guys for all the info. I’m guessing that access is located on 22 in-between krons bay and cedar island lake? Has anyone tried Mudd lake? Where exactly is meth hole? I hear a lot of people talking about it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

no, that’s what’s called the “Winter Access” for Horseshoe….. The Cedar Island access is located off CR71, if coming from Cold Spring, take a left at the stoplight before the Richmond water tower…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.