Ice Fishing Boots

• Andy Fischer

Looking for new ice fishing boots. Currently wear my Rocky’s that are hunting boots. They’re great, but slipping cleats on/off over the years is ruining them. I’ve looked through previous posts, but most are a few years old.

I walk a lot early in the season since I don’t have an ATV and like to hole-hop. I want boots that are 100% waterproof for slush and auger overflow. Can’t be too bulky so my cleats fit over them. Some of the Baffin’s look nice, but want to make sure my bibs fit over the boot.

Also will be ordering online, so need to make sure I won’t need to deal with the hassle of returning.

Appreciate the recommendations.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

La Crosse Alphaburly Pro – They are fairly durable, very warm, are easy to get on/off, and are great for the slop that is becoming normal with midwinter warmups. I am on season 4 of this pair and outside of some major scuffs, don’t see too many issues…and I abuse them (hiking rip rapped shorelines, walking in the woods, pastures, thick mud, kicking things all too often).

I’ve tried similar Mucks, and they didn’t handle the abuse as well (tore easily). The Baffin boots are warm but are huge and cumbersome to move in.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have the scheels muck arctic pros. 2 seasons this will be the 3rd. I’ve since ordered the lady and my son the same pair. Very warm full rubber never gotten wet besides when I stepped in a 10 inch hole and sunk to my knee. The alphaburrlys are great as well. I rocked mine 4 seasons before the one cracked and that was because I used them at work

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Baffin Eiger’s or Impacts (or any from that line). Lightweight, incredibly warm, and keep your feet dry. Just be sure to wear wool socks and not cotton.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Alphaburly pro been using them for hunting and fishing. Set for each and my ice cleats feet over them also bibs.

Stay warm and dry and last a long time. That is all I use for late season hunting also.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

La Crosse Alphaburly

These. For what you mentioned they are going to be the best. I have used Baffin Impacts for the last 10 years for ice fishing and there awesome. Water proof within reason. I dropped a boot in trying to get out late ice last year and found out they are no longer water proof, made for a rough sit. The Burlys are 100% water proof as they are neoprene.

AK Guy

Big fan of Korkers. I like having the ability to switch soles from lug to spike. And, with a bad back, the Boa laces are awesome. Waterproof and warm too.

KP
    Hudson, WI

I have the scheels muck arctic pros. 2 seasons this will be the 3rd. I’ve since ordered the lady and my son the same pair. Very warm full rubber never gotten wet besides when I stepped in a 10 inch hole and sunk to my knee.

X2 on these boots and I did the same last year…

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Baffin boots are what I use. I also have a pair of the white mickey boots that are also amazing, but are a little tight on my big feet.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Currently have Baffin Titans, going on year…..6 I think? I could probably use a new pair of insulated insoles, but so far the boots are doing great. I MAY try the Muck arctic pros when these wear out but will see when the time comes. Realistically I have no reason to switch.

shockers
    Rochester

Mucks are definitely waterproof and lighter. But they, like the other neoprene, do not breathe so, at least for me, I find that wearing sock liners along with good socks helps. Cuz yeah….you’ll sweat a lot in them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Another thing to add…with the neoprene style the easiest thing to manage sweat/wet feet is to simply bring a second pair of socks. It takes me ~30 seconds to switch socks if needed. I usually have an extra pair riding in my sled or in my sweatshirt pocket. This essentially eliminates the “too warm or not breathable” for boots argument.

Deuces

Love my baffins but I certainly wouldn’t consider them not bulky.

Completely worth the trade off IMO, I have cold feet

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Alphaburly pro been using them for hunting and fishing. Set for each and my ice cleats feet over them also bibs.

Stay warm and dry and last a long time. That is all I use for late season hunting also.

I’ll X3 on the alphaburly Pro’s – Go with the 1600 gram ones. All I’ve used the last few year unless it REALLY cold. Then its time for the Baffin Apex ( Really BIG and bulky )

tim hurley

Baffin Snow Monster, light, compact, warm-I am a total hole hopper and have to walk into many lakes, bulky does not work for me. Get a size larger than your shoe, get good socks and you are good. You will probably have to order online, I saw Baffins that were not SMs and started to think that they are all pretty much the same, not true-Footware is about the last thing I want to order online but I was glad I did, these boots are perfect for what I do.
    Good luck

vinella

Check out Norfin Klondaik. I’ve had Muck Arctic Pro, Korkers Polar Vortex,LaCrosse Iceman, and a few others. Norfins are by far my favorite. Very lightweight, not bulky, completely waterproof, built in retractable cleats, and removable liner.

27eyeguy

Check out Extratuf, the boots that most Alaskans use.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I gambled on some Striker boots that were on closeout at the end of last season. Havent tried them yet, but hope they keep my feet warm

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Year 5 on my Muck Artic Pro’s.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Love my baffin titans. Waterproof, light, slip on slip off, durable and extremely warm. Only problem is they are big and bulky. This really only becomes a problem when wearing bibs. Would buy them again in a heartbeat

Sylvanboat

I wear Baffin Eigers. Warm, dry and fit over my BPS coveralls.

Attachments:
    1. 3A89BFF3-4B50-4848-986E-576D18144821.jpeg

stevenoak

10 years on Muck arctics. Ice fishing and box blind hunting. Alphaburlys for walking in brush.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I just ordered the Mickey Boots off of sportsman’s guide hoping they are as good as advertised. I was wearing muck arctic pro’s for last 6-7 years and they have treated me well other than when I am kneeling next to a hole for while they cut off circulation as the boot rides up the back of my leg/knee. Also they are starting to be not totally 100% water proof.

I would still wear them this year but wanted to give Mickey Boots a try.

Gregg Gunter

Boa system on Korkers with interchangeable soles (cleats) are the best!

isu22andy

Norfin Klondiak user as well . Crazy how warm they are for how light they are . Will never go back to mucks .

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I love this topic as it comes up each and every year. When I wanted warm/waterproof boots I searched high and low with $$ not being an issue.

I ended up with Mickey Mouse Boots for $50 and love them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Ooooofda.

I just looked up a new pair of Alphaburlys and realized they’re $80 more than I paid for mine.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Prices are way up from last year. I was at Fleet Farm here in Hudson the other day and could not believe the prices. Glad I bought my Muks last year!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I gambled on some Striker boots that were on closeout at the end of last season. Havent tried them yet, but hope they keep my feet warm

If there the all black tall water proof ones you will like them. Buddy I fish with a lot has those and likes them.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bigstorm wrote:</div>

If there the all black tall water proof ones you will like them. Buddy I fish with a lot has those and likes them.

It looks like they’re almost $100 cheaper than the Alphaburlys and Mucks. Report back on what you find for longevity.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.