Ice Fishing Bibs

• Ryan Malo

Just want some input on what everyone uses for their ice fishing bibs. This will be my pair of Ice Armor Extremes fifth winter of use and they were starting to lose some of their water proofing around the knees. Other than that they were great. And are the Simms Challenger bibs worth all the hype?

Walleyewill

I’ve worn nothing but the striker climate bibs personally the last few years, and I absolutely love them. Dont believe i’ve ever been cold in them once, but Then again I have heard nothing but great things about Simms challenger insulated bibs. Lol. So it’d be a toss up for me if i were to ever get a new pair. especially with each pair being roughly the same price

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have two pairs of Ice Armor a lighter bib that is 10 years old and has burn holes in the pant legs, still water proof in the knees. Also a heavier one that is rarely used due to how warm they are. If buying again I would look at Striker

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run the Striker Predator bibs and have never been cold in them. I’m going on season #3 with this pair and they look brand new. I’d fully expect to get 10 years out of them.

My typical layering is a tight wicking base layer and a pair of sweatpants for my legs. Anything else is complete overkill down to about -5 degrees for how I fish. I do move around quite a bit and often hike to remote spots that wheelers, sleds, and vehicles cannot get to on the river though.

vinella

Just want some input on what everyone uses for their ice fishing bibs. This will be my pair of Ice Armor Extremes fifth winter of use and they were starting to lose some of their water proofing around the knees. Other than that they were great. And are the Simms Challenger bibs worth all the hype?

Depends if you want flotation? If not, the Simms are extremely lightweight and comfortable. I wouldn’t say the warmest bib out there, but warm enough. If you want the best of both worlds, check out the Striker Apex.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Scheels is running a sale next week on some of the clam flotation rise pants and bibs. $129 is the sale price I was going to check them out as seem decent priced. I have the striker hard water float bibs and love them but elastic is giving way after 6-7 years otherwise they have been great.

FinnyDinDin

I have owned striker bibs and jackets since the company first came out and love em. You really can’t go wrong with their ice suits. Personally I wouldn’t worry too much about getting their warmest models if you fish the Midwest. All of their floating suits are warm. Great peace of mind too.

rjohnson8404

I love my striker headwaters however I have really been eyeing the blackfish bibs.
    The strikers are believe it or not almost to warm for me and the blackfish almost seem more mobile and lighter.

I have the Clam Ice Armour Rise Float suit. It’s extremely warm and feels good quality. Got it last year before the season and used them for everything from ice fishing to sledding with the kids. Only complaint is that it’s a bit bulky. They are warm enough that I didn’t wear many layers underneath either so I would recommend potentially sizing down if you are on the edge of sizes. I sized up and wish I had not.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Depends if you want flotation? If not, the Simms are extremely lightweight and comfortable. I wouldn’t say the warmest bib out there, but warm enough. If you want the best of both worlds, check out the Striker Apex.
    [/quote]

The Apex set-up looks very impressive especially after Joel Nelson endorses it. Might have to spin down to Cabela’s and spend some gift cards. woot

3Rivers

If you want the lightest, most comfortable, yet still warm, go with the Striker Apex. They are great, but also $$$

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

St paul Ice show sometimes you can get a good deal on sunday if you wait until they are starting to pack up.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Anyone have the Eskimo Legend bibs and jacket? I found a decent deal online and was thinking of picking up before the season started.

Justin Donson

A lot of nice bibs out there, but there’s one thing I’ve learned for me. I have a bad lower back, so whatever bibs I buy NEED a belt. Bibs without a belt just absolutely kill my lower back.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.