I want to put a kicker motor of my 2017 crestliner 1650 fish hawk

• ggonzo

I was told Crestliner will void the warrenty if I put a kicker motor on my boat. I’ve contacted crestliner dealers around the country to validate it, it appears to be true but a few of them install kickers on the 1650 anyway. They say 1650 wasn’t tested for a kicker motor, the 1750 and larger boats were tested and approved for a kickers. the main concern was the splash line behind the boat would be to low with the added wait. My question is, if anybody has information or experience in putting a kicker on the 1650?

I want to put the 9.9 Pro Kicker Mercury on.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Well if the weight is an issue, my Nissan 5hp with an internal tank weighs 42# and doesnt do a thing to the water line. Can see the variables with heavier motors that have all the fancy true kicker capabilities. Just saying there are other options that might not have all the advantages but do get the job done.

ggonzo

Thanks for your input, I really have my heart set on the pro-kicker, but that might be a compromise. again thanks

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Doesn’t your 1650 have a “maximum transom weight” sticker in the splashwell?

If that is the case, what OB do you have on there now, and what if any excess is available for a kicker?

HRG

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What about an engine mounted electric?

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I have seen boats the same size with a 9.9 kicker on them. I honestly don’t think it will hurt anything except your top end speed. I would avoid the single cylinder four strokes unless you want your fillings to vibrate while trolling.

TripleA
    Blaine

Which main motor do you have and which transom depth?

TripleA
    Blaine

Biggest question is do you have the taller transom? 20″? If you have the shorter transom I would be very concerned about the waterline in back. I have the higher transom with 90 4stroke and a talon, I would not want it to sit any lower in back and with the shorter transom I just dont see how it would work.

ggonzo

Thanks these are all great suggestions. I’ll check the weight limit. I have a 90 hp Merc, It’s the largest motor required for my boat. My transom is 23″. It I put a kicker on, the 25″ long shaft is recommended.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

ggonzo,
    Honestly, I would stop talking with dealers and contact Crestliner directly, via email, so you have a documented response. From my looking at various models on Crestliners build & price site, I didn’t see ANY that offered a kicker pre-rig from the factory. Lund seems like they start offering that option at about the 17-1/2′ class.

If Crestliner does say that the installation of any kicker would void your warranty, ask them to show you where it states that in the warranty documentation you were given at time of purchase.

HRG

below is from the Lund 1775 Impact build & price

Attachments:
    1. kicker-pre-rig.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.