Hydraulic Jack Plate

• Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Who has one and how do you like it? If you would share your experience good or bad I would appreciate it.

I am thinking of adding one to my Triton 206 Allure / Merc 250

mojogunter

I have one on my 621 ranger. I like it for shallow water especially shallow boat ramps. I don’t think it added any speed but I do like how I can adjust the bow height and ride versus without one.

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

What kind do you have? Do you notice your self using it as much as the trim?

mojogunter

Atlas, and yes I use it all the time.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I have one on my Skeeter WX2190. I like it overall, but especially when loading the boat. It *may* help me wring the last 1 mph out of the boat on the top end, but the opportunity to do that is seldom on the waters I run. More often I can drop it down for running in 3 footers. Mine is an Atlas as well.

Scott

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

Thanks for the replys guys, I am not to worried about getting the absolute top speed although that would be a nice bennifit, just looking to be able to adjust and have optimial performace/handling for always changing conditions.

2 more questions, do you guys have the gauge – is it worth it?

Do you have a rocker switch or blinker style switch?

TIA

mojogunter

I have the gauge and the rocker switch. I would get the gauge again. It is nice to just look down to know where it needs to be set at. The adjustments are fairly small for speed adjustments.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Yes, having the gauge is nice. I would recommend a “blinker” style switch for adjustment.

Scott

lundersma

Every Lund dealer I asked for advice sternly advised against it…

This was my mod in 2021, and I absolutely love it!

Blinker switch +1

Attachments:
    1. 20210510_192557_resized.jpg

2. 20210513_085558_resized.jpg

Ripjiggen

Thanks for the replys guys, I am not to worried about getting the absolute top speed although that would be a nice bennifit, just looking to be able to adjust and have optimial performace/handling for always changing conditions.

TIA

I would add trim tabs before a jack plate for what you are looking to do.

lundersma

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Brandon Meyers wrote:</div>

TIA

I would add trim tabs before a jack plate for what you are looking to do.

Wondering about the gauge too, but made it through 2021 just glancing over my left shoulder. Saved that couple hundred for more important things…

Any thoughts about installing hydraulic jack plates on Lund aluminum boats other than a Pro-V Bass? chased

Ripjiggen

Are you asking me lundersma?

Ripjiggen

Sorry never had one on an aluminum boat.

I have had a jack plate and now trim tabs and unless you are fishing skinny water I would take trim tabs over a jackplate for running in rough water which I think the OP is referring to.

lundersma

Oh well, considering the discussion subject title HYDRAULIC JACK PLATE, and that not a single response has been posted for over a year…

I think there is a fear among Lund aluminum boat owners to explore the option, since Lund strongly discourages the use of these contraptions on their boats.
    smash

My boat is old and long out of warranty, but that doesn’t deter from the fact that the hull is structurally built like a tank, and sufficiently adequate to support and benefit from the technology.

Attachments:
    1. 20211203_211134_resized.jpg

Jeff McClintock

I have an Atlas Hydraulic one on my 621 FS Pro with blinker switch. I feel the plate was mounted too high on mine as I pretty much have to run mine at the bottom of the travel. That being said, that saved my a$$ when my trim motor died. I was able to raise of the Jackplate all the way so I could get home…… It was a bit of a pucker factor drive from Colville home with the skag 6″ off the ground. I dropped my hitch as far as it would go and made it home without damage.

And before it is suggested….. yes I know there is a manual release to trim the motor, unfortunately I cannot lift a 300HP motor by hand. I did however use a floor jack to do this once I was home. So I will vote for the Jackplate )

Brandon Meyers
    Eau Claire, WI

This thread is a little old. I put a BOBS 6″ action jack on last winter with the blinker switch and depth gauge and I have been very pleased. I ordered everything online including a cherry picker and picking eye. Did it all in my garage and saved about 50% of what 2 dealers quoted me for the unit and instal.

Lundersma – I wonder if the Lund dealers you talked to are just refrencing tin boats – I thought you could get a glass boat from them with a JP from the factory.

Ripjiggen – I agree that trim tabs would be great but there isn’t a good spot to put them on my boat. It is essentaily a double stepped transom.

I will never own a glass boat with out a jack plate now. I use it all the time – the depth gauge is great, I know where my sweet spot is for most water conditions although I mostly go by feel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.