Hunting Dogs In Very Cold Temps

• koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

I’m hunting pheasants out of town next weekend. Temps look to be single digits for highs both days.

This will be the first cold/snow trip with the dog. I’m not sure what precautions I need to take.

I did order some Mushers Secret to prevent ice buildup between his pads on his paws.

Other than that he’s never had issues being out in the cold.

What else do I need?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That was my first thought too Kraig.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

All I know is to clip the hair between their toes some to prevent buildup and watch them carefully for shivering.

I would make room for my dog on the inside of the vehicle and not just the back of a pickup. Although I know with the right setup that can work fine.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I hunted my Draht in SD in -10 weather for 3 days get doog booties of some sort beside mushers secret. You may need both. I also had Greta wear her neoprene vest when hunting in the areas that were exposed to the wind. Be mindful that your dog does not get to hot if you do that and does not get sores. I had to add chicken broth to water to make her drink while hunting just like people dehydration is a risk in extreme cold. I also supplemented some canned food with dry at night. And bring lots of towels and blankets to immediately dry off the dog and yes ride in the cab. I also shaved excess hair between toes and backs of legs do it now while you are warm not on the tale gate at -10 like I did. Let us know how you did and post photo’s

Mwal

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.