Deer hunting and Wolves

• the_grump
    Le Center

I’m sure not many of us have a wolf tag, but just out of curiosity lets report our wolf sightings from our deer stands. And how many could have made a killing shot on the wolf if we would of had a tag.
    The only time I’ve seen a wolf on stand was north of Grand Rapids during a bear hunt. That one was in bow range and broadside but only for a few seconds, don’t think I could have got him, it happened to fast.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My list is pretty short.
    Trapping – Price county, WI – pull out of a 3DLS Victor (pulled the jaw out of the frame)
    Trapping – Price County, WI Possible pull out – tracks looked like small wolf and stepped on jaw/pan
    Trapping – frozen trap with track on pan – never fired

Predator hunting – Price county – called in a pair with squealing snow shoe Rabbit @ about 75 yrds

Predator hunting – Richland County, WI Predator hunting – called in lone wolf with coyote distressed pup

Bow hunting – nothing within 200 yrds

Gun Deer – Price County, WI 1981 had one walk up less than 20 yrds

Grouse hunting Price County, WI 2009 same day at two different locations 1 @ 50 yrds and a pair walked by us at about 75 yrds

tdhowen

Gun Deer season Lincoln Co. at 40 yards, it never knew I was there.

johnee

I’d be interested specifically in hearing who sees a wolf during the upcoming season.

To answer the OP, I’ve never seen a wolf from a deer stand in MN or WI. I suspect that after the first day of season, the wolves get very, very wary and move almost exclusively at night.

As I’ve said all the long, while the wolf season running concurrent with the deer season sounds like a good deal, I suspect the actual count of wolves taken will be very, very low.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Not take this off on a tangent, but SD found having the kitty season during elk or deer season was actually less productive and moved it.

the_grump
    Le Center

Quote:

I’d be interested specifically in hearing who sees a wolf during the upcoming season.

To answer the OP, I’ve never seen a wolf from a deer stand in MN or WI. I suspect that after the first day of season, the wolves get very, very wary and move almost exclusively at night.

As I’ve said all the long, while the wolf season running concurrent with the deer season sounds like a good deal, I suspect the actual count of wolves taken will be very, very low.

Grouse

. That is what I am looking for, info on this coming season, at first glance it seems like a good idea to run both seasons together, but I’ll bet no more than one or two of all the deer hunters on IDO would be able to harvest a wolf during the firearm deer season. Please report if you could have made a clean harvest while deer hunting this year.

johnee

I would be shocked if it were as high as 1 or 2 members of iDo seeing wolves at shootable distances, but good idea. Send in your from-the-stand reports and let’s see.

I know the trappers in our area are all bent out of shape because they think the early season hunters will take up the whole quota. They’re inventing all kinds of wild PETA conspiracy theories about how whack-job wolf cuddlers infiltrated the DNR and sandbagged the wolf season with this two tier structure.

My prediction is that 80% of the wolves taken will be taken by trappers. Of the remaining 20%, 15% will be taken by dedicted predator hunters using calls and specifically targeting wolves.

Grouse

the_grump
    Le Center

Our group of 18 has no sightings in two days.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.