What is your #1 dream hunt?

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome Hop307! I’m not familiar with what Russia has to offer. I’m assuming bear, moose etc???

johnee

Since cost is no object, I think I’d pick driven grouse in Scotland. The ultimate in driven shooting. The birds come in and unlike driven pheasants, they’re flying at eye level straight at you. Then they bank away and I swear you can hear their jet engines scream as they go past. It’s like shooting at mini-F-16 fighter jets.

I agree with the others, Yukon moose would be fantastic and I’ll put that at #2.

Back to Scotland for my #3. Red Stag stalking. Lots of tweedy traditionalisim there, but some monster stags and beautiful stalking.

I’d put Africa at #4 and tee up some dangerous game with a capital “D”–leopard. Anyone who has read the classic Safari books like Death in the Long Grass will know the feeling of shivers going down your spine just reading about leopard hunting. And what happens if the shot placement isn’t just right. . .

Anyone else read Col Peter Capstick’s “Maneater” tales from India? That one where he’s waiting for a maneating leopard to return to his kill (a young boy)and suddenly he hears the sligthest noise behind him. And feels hot breath upon his neck…

Grouse

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I’m living mine as I type. I never thought I would pick Montana Archery Elk but this week has been one for the record books. Not only have I tagged a great one but the rest of my family is living the hunt as well and there are not too many tags left!

I guess I will have to get home and dream up a new hunt. Archery Yukon Moose perhaps…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We expect a full story and pic.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

Quote:

Since cost is no object, I think I’d pick driven grouse in Scotland. The ultimate in driven shooting. The birds come in and unlike driven pheasants, they’re flying at eye level straight at you. Then they bank away and I swear you can hear their jet engines scream as they go past. It’s like shooting at mini-F-16 fighter jets.
    Grouse

I have a friend that did this. They shot pheasant and grouse. Said it was one of the coolest things he had ever done.

johnee

Quote:

I have a friend that did this. They shot pheasant and grouse. Said it was one of the coolest things he had ever done.

Having been a spectator at a driven grouse shoot, I can confirm it’s incredibly cool.

And incredibly expensive. Red grouse, like our Ruffed Grouse, cannot be pen-raised and released like pheasants. Therefore, their habitat, the grouse moor, (many of which are over 1000 acres) requires careful and very labor-intensive management so that the habitat can produce the numbers of grouse required for driven shooting. Of course, this comes at runious cost because it requires a full time staff of moor keepers and other workers.

It’s not uncommon for a multiple-day driven grouse shoot to cost $10,000 to $20,000 per gun (per person) and generally there is a team of 6-8 guns at each shoot. Then, of course, you’re out there shooting with either a matched pair or even a matched triple of Boss or Purdy guns, you have loaders, beaters, dog handlers, catering staff, etc. Well, needless to say, the cost is significant.

It’s hunting, Jim, but not as we know it.

Grouse

tony_p
    Waterloo, IA

Mine would be hunting the massive giant whitetails in Saskatchewan Canada. Or a huge majestic Red Stag in New Zeland. Also Would love a Brown beer/moose hunt. All with the bow

todders
    Shoreview, MN

until I shoot a 140″ whitetail with my bow…you get the idea

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

My son has picked timberland caribou for his dream hunt and we’re working on making that a reality. For me, I have no idea. Elk was always my favorite as a kid so I guess I’d take that but I’d love to do some wild boar and coyote in TX as well as a British Columbia cougar hunt! Perhaps an Alaskan Brown Bear too…… I dunno….. I swear I’d be thrilled to do any of it just as much as I would be to do ALL of it!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

An employee of mine and his two brothers went to the SE corner of Idaho.
    Over-the-counter bull elk tag was something in the range of $400 for non-resident.

They brought a 4-wheeler to assist and went 7 miles up in the mountains.

2nd day in the hunt, a 340″ class 6×6 was taken by my employee on state/federal land. All on their own.

Other than the 4 wheeler, it was a true camping trip of staying in small tents for 5 days.

What an incredible hunt in my opinion, as well as a “real” hunt, and with brothers.

A mix of a hunt (without cages, fences, or guides), with “natural” trophys (a 340″ 6×6 bull is a trophy in my book with archery, done with the brothers you love, with a sport they all love…….together.

flatlandfowler
    SC/SW MN

There are a ton of hunts that I would love to go on, and would consider a once in a lifetime hunt. However, the one hunt I’ve always wanted (will) do is a January Aleutian Island Kind Eider sea duck hunt.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.