Canoe

• farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

I had a few questions about my cedar strip canoe, so I wanted to put together a post about my progress and plans.

I started this project about 6 years ago because I always thought cedar strip canoes were really cool. I read all the books and did some research and then started building.

For those of you not familiar with this type of canoe, I will give some background. first you cut 1/4″ x 1″ strips from western red cedar, then cut a bead and cove on the two small sides so the “nest” into each other. You build a frame that will be the outline of the canoe, called a strongback, and start to strip from the waterline towards the bottom. When this in completed you install a fiberglass cloth and epoxy over the entire canoe for strength. This is where all the strength comes from and the cedar is just there for beauty. You then do all the woodwork, gunnels, seats, deck plates, thwarts and portage thwart.

The books put the labor between 400 and 1000 hours. I will tell you that this is no exaggeration. I chose to do mine without the use of metal fasteners because it looks nicer. Some guys will staple each strip to the strongback to hold it until the glue dries and then pull staples when the glue dries. I did not like the look of staple holes, so I chose to glue and clamp each strip individually until it dried. I could do 3-4 strips each night. This took forever.

With family constraints, a cabin on Pepin, and all the other stuff we have to so this is where it sat for a couple years. That is until I drew a MN Moose tag in the BWCA. I decided that a once in a lifetime hunt deserved a once in a lifetime boat, so I got back into my build.

Fast forward a few months, and last night I put the lat gunnel on, installed the rear seat, and gave the hull the final sand. Keep in mind that this is the shape, but the hull and woodwork will get 6-10 layers of spar varnish and it will shine. I have to install the front seat, and thwarts tonight and start to varnish it.

There is quite a bit more to the build then I have laid out here, and if anyone has any questions, let me know but I am guessing that is more than most of you cared to know about building a canoe.

As you can see, you learn some creative clamping, and get to use more sandpaper then should be allowed in a lifetime.

diver1080
    Yorkville, IL

Great post! I would love to do this some day when I have the time and space! Good luck with finishing the canoe and the hunt of a lifetime.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Simply awesome. I have always thought it would be cool to build one, but never got any farther than that. Way to go

When I was in high school, a guy in our town built a catamaran the same way and sailed it to the Carribean. It was cool to follow his progress.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

That’s awesome!! I wish I had an 1/8th of your woodworking ability.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

That’s funny, because Brent told me that he wishes he had an 1/8 of your table dancing ability

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

We all have our unique skills. Mine have been finely honed over many, many years.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Quote:

X2

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

When this in completed you install a fiberglass cloth and epoxy over the entire canoe for strength.

Does this cover all the cedar on the inside? From the photos, it doesn’t look like you’ve glassed yours yet. Or can you see the cedar beneath it?

timmy

Very impressive. I am really looking forward to a pic of the finished product…..and also a pic of the finished product with a big moose head in it.

Nice work!

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

Quote:

When this in completed you install a fiberglass cloth and epoxy over the entire canoe for strength.

Does this cover all the cedar on the inside? From the photos, it doesn’t look like you’ve glassed yours yet. Or can you see the cedar beneath it?

It is a special epoxy that is clear. You first install the exterior fiberglass and epoxy, then take it off the stongback, and install the interior fiberglass. The inside stuff is a “female dog”. It is very difficult to get the cloth to lay right, and it wants to move on you. If I had more time, I would do an additional coat of epoxy on the inside to hide some of these inconsistencies, and then give it a good sand. They say not to do this because it becomes “too smooth” and slippery, but it does look better. What you see on the outside is the dull sanded epoxy.

It is a West Systems product, and is specially made to be clear for cedar strip canoes and wood boats. The main epoxy is 105 and the special hardener is a 207 if I remember right. As you install the epoxy, the fiberglass mesh becomes transparent. It is a very difficult thing, and there are a bunch of things I would do different in hindsight.

Maybe when I build my next one

woodenfrog
    se mn

Very nice project! It will be a nice sense of accomplishment when done.My dad built one many years ago and this was very similar to his steps.Also built a cedar strip canvas canoe.Personally these canoes are so beautiful it really should be only a lake canoe cause you hate to see it get scratched! So we took my dads ceaderstrip canoe up to bwca and we were all siting on a island campsite one day admiring the canoe and the beautiful day when a high wind came out of nowhere and tumbled it over the rocks several times! We all sat there sick in disbelief!! When we got home dad fiberglassed patched it and it was almost as good as new but not quite.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Very cool! Thanks for sharing! What a great sense of accomplishment! Please provide us updates!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That makes sense, Brent. Thanks.

john_steinhauer
    p4

WOW I’m not so sure I would know where to start!! Very cool!!!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Way cool Congrats and best of luck to ya on the moose hunt Brent

pool5hunter
    South East,Mn

That is so cool, and one of my dreams to build a cedar strip canoe. Thanks for sharing!

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

Simply AWSOME I wish I had 1/32 of you carpentry skills! again

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.