Flambeau Swimming Buck

• travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

I wanted to share one the coolest moments I’ve ever experienced in nature with all of you. I apologize for the photos as they were taken from my blackberry (I forgot my camera back at camp)!
    This buck appeared when I was chatting with a fellow fisherman on the Flambeau Flowage near Ladysmith, Wisconsin in August of 2010. At first, we could not see that the image was a whitetail. He paddled his way directly towards us as he crossed the channel near the dam. We were awe-struck as the buck fought the current and high waters in result to a heavy thunderstom the evening prior.
    It took the whitetail about fifteen minutes to reach an island that was located nearly 3/4 of a mile from his launch. When he reached dry land he was so exhausted that he did not flee from our presence! I realize that this is fairly common, but this was my first experience with an incident such as this! Whitetails truly are amazing animals!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

Was this on the northern most end of the Dairyland Flowage?

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Yes – I was camping at the Flambeau Lodge.

lick

Cool pics Travis Thanks for sharing

john_steinhauer
    p4

thats crazy i was by the back channel bridge in hager city wi by the bar and watched two doe swim all the way over to the boat docks and when they seen people on the dock the turned and swam all the back across thanks for sharing the cool pics

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

Very Cool

coppertop
    Central MN

Cool pics Travis, here I thought you were you were going to say it was someones decoy floating down.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.