Searching for a new fish house.

• eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I have personally never put any additive in my fuel over the winters. Knock on wood maybe, but I’ve never had a problem. If you are worried I’m sure you can add it now.

Arjak

I would suggest taking it to a boat dealer or marina and have them summerize it. At least thats what I call it. I held off too long this year to get mine in and then I didn’t want to drive it in all the slush and salt and what not so i’m taking mine in and have them check it out and get it ready. I did put stabil in my gas though as I forgot the year before and the guy said i was lucky as the carb was still okay and not all gummed up. It is a new motor though too. Cost in LaX anyway is about $100.

Arjak

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

Seafoam–cleans and stabalizes!

–Whitey

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

–Whitey

From your handle bassaholic I take it you are talking a Glass boat with an internal tank

How many gallons does it hold?

I am a big believer in seafoam but also I do not believe you can rejuvenate gas but can help bad gas burn

If it were me, and I had a least a 20 gallon tank……….I would add my seafoam now and top it off come run time.

With that said, your second tank will run better.

I like Seafoam

Welcome to IDO

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I agree with Bret.

If you have 10 gallons and you ran the boat last fall(later the better), I dont think your going to have any major issues from gas in the tank. Seas Foam isnt going to hurt anything, I suggest to put some in, and top the tank off and go for a ride.

If there was gas left in the carb, that might be another issue. If things arent gunked up bad, the sea foam should help, its not going to hurt.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Quote:

–Whitey

Whitey ,Bret and Dave nailed it!

Sea foam is a great product,I run it in everything.

About every third year I will run a carb cleaner through the tank too.I have heard good and bad things about these cleaners but I think they work well.

Makes the engine smoke like heck for awhile but for me the results have made for a clean running outboard.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Depends. What motor are you running and how big is your gas tank?

If you have a carbed 2 stroke, probably not going to have a problem. You can reduce the exposure by topping off a 20 gallon tank with 10 gallons of fresh gas and probably be ok.

I would not run old un-treated gas in a HPDI, Opti, E-tech or EFI motor.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Before stabile came along, all I did was run the tank low (down to about 6-10 gallons) in the fall and fill up with premium in the spring. Never had a problem. Carb cleaner will help with very minor deposits

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Like already stated if you can add some fresh gas to it you will probably be OK.Or you could siphon most of it out and burn it in the car.You should also consider adding a fuel/water seperator if you dont have one.They are pretty cheap and pretty easy to install and well worth having.Todays gas with ethanol attracts moisture.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Quote:

Before stabile came along, all I did was run the tank low (down to about 6-10 gallons) in the fall and fill up with premium in the spring. Never had a problem. Carb cleaner will help with very minor deposits

You won’t have an issue at all.
    You are fine. As stated, just add premium gas and your octane will increase and balance out. Sounds like you are only talking about 6 month old gas. You are fine.

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

The first question would be is what motor do you own? The four strokes are more prone to getting dirty carbs. The inlets in the carb’s are a smaller diameter so they tend to plug up easier. The injected and two strokes are not as prone to get dirty from sitting that long. You will have to start the motor on a hose at home and see if it idles properly. You can buy the hose muff’s at Fleet Farm. If it fires right up and idles fine chances are everything will be just fine. The first area to plug up in a carb is the idle stage. If it idles fine throw a gass additive(cleaner) in with some fresh gas to help get rid of the old gas and run it awhile on the hose at idle. If you start it and it does not idle or run fine take it to a mechanic and have them clean the carb’s. A cleaner only works to maintain a carb sytem during normal running. It will not unplug a carb that is dirty. BY the time it takes you to run the cleaner through the entire tank and gas line and carb’s you could blow the engine. It is not worth it. If it idles fine take it somewhere and run on water. Just ease into the throttle and take your time working your way up to full throttle. If it performs well you will be good to go. Fogging a engine does not affect the fuel. If you forgot to fog it last fall that is not as very big deal. Fogging is done just to coat all the mooving parts in the engine to keep from rusting. The oil’s that are beeing used these days take along time before they breakdown and stop protecting your engine. I would not worry about fogging unless you plan on storing the engine for a long time. Try the hose first.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

The first thing youhave to do is try and run it as-is. Many times it will work just fine.
    Depends on which gas you use. If you use non-oxygenated, you should be fine with topping off with fresh gas this spring. If you use oxygenated, there could be a problem. What I have done in the past with old gas that wouldn’t run right is to get a couple of gas cans and fill them up with 100LL at the local airport. Even mixed with old gas, that stuff makes a motor sing!

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

This time of the year you want to stay away from aviation fuel. It is full of isopropyle. Just throw it on the hose with a $5 set of muff’s from Fleet and run it. You will know right away if it need’s cleaning or not. The motor’s these day’s are made to run on 87 octane. Th ethenol wont hurt anything in the engine. The only things that the ethenol can cause problems with is moisture in the tank. Ethenol acts like a sponge in away. It will displace water from the gas, and sometimes when it has sat awhile in high moisture places it will absorb moisture from outside and pull into the gas tanks. This does not happen very often. The thing that does happen more often is that you fill up your boat using a pump that has water in the tanks underground. It is a sad thing but it does happen quite often. A easy way to check for water in gas is too pull a sample. DIsconnect your gas line from the engine and get a clear glass and poor some gas into from the hose. Let it set for awhile. You will see the seperation of the water and gas if their is water in the gas. This happened to Hunter88 out in Michigan. He had to put some isopropyle in his tank,plus dump what was in the fuel pump and filter. One time I had to drain a Tyee Baron with a 50 gallon tank because of to much water in gas. Filled up the shop trucks and ran it through them. I recomend to people when they picked up their boats to run Premium gass. I run ethenol all year round up untill putting it away for winter then I will run a tank of premium. The higher octane takes longer to breakdown. As long as you run a conditioner you will not have any issues with ethenol. I run ringfree in all my Yamaha’s.

TheMidwestHunter
    MN

This might not be the right forum for this question, but technically I’m “hunting” for a new fish house so it should be ok. ha, ha

Right now I have a flip over Clam voyager that’s about 4-5 yrs old and I love it, but it’s really only a 2 person. With my 5 yr old son getting old enough to go out, a 2 yr old son, another on the way and my wife who will want to go once and a while….what I have, it’s not going to work in yrs to come.

Anything out there you all would suggest that would fish a min of 4-6 for a portable? That WON’T break the bank.

lick

Joel Nelson (resident turkey expert) is a ice fishing prostaffer also you could pm him id bet he can help you out

big_g
    Isle, MN

Funny you should mention this…. I just seen a wheel house posted at work, I want to say it was around $2400, ready to fish. The pics looked nice. Not sure if that would be what you would call portable, need at least 8″ of ice and a wheeler (and plowed roads if we get snow like this year) but I think it is a steal.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

This will likely be my next house. I love that I can fish four people out of it. Not often do I need something like this, but there are times when my girls will go or the buddies want to sit together.

4 person trap

Or you get something like this, much more affordable.

Command Post

Head over to IDO Fishing. Lots more opinions available.

TheMidwestHunter
    MN

Quote:

Joel Nelson (resident turkey expert) is a ice fishing prostaffer also you could pm him id bet he can help you out

Joel? Never heard of him. lol j/k He’s my cousin…not that I like to admit it though.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Quote:

Or you get something like this, much more affordable.

Command Post

Head over to IDO Fishing. Lots more opinions available.

I got the smaller version last year and very roomy inside and I am 6’5″ and can stand up in it. The Command Post I looked at, at the ice show was huge and would suit the whole family. The nice thing is they roll up like a dome tent and very easy transporting to and from the lake!

Good Luck

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Joel? Never heard of him. lol j/k He’s my cousin…not that I like to admit it though.

Admitting stuff like that can get you kicked off the site. Yep, if these guys didn’t help you out enough. Check out the fishing side of IDO @ http://www.idofishing.com

big_hunter
    eagan, mn

as handy as the command post is, it would suck to not have everything self contained… i have a voyager as well and couldnt live without the big tub to haul all my stuff in.

for my vote, i’d go with the denali or x4, whatever the dual flip over clam offering is this year…

TheMidwestHunter
    MN

Quote:

as handy as the command post is, it would suck to not have everything self contained… i have a voyager as well and couldnt live without the big tub to haul all my stuff in.

for my vote, i’d go with the denali or x4, whatever the dual flip over clam offering is this year…

Just a quick check on price, for $500 that the Denali runs and $800 the X4 runs….I’ll personally walk each piece of gear one by one from the truck on shore. ha, ha For $50-$100, a guy can buy a sled to put all your gear in.

On as side note, any idea how much my Voyager is worth??

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.