Hunting dog question

• coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

I’m not much of a hunter. But started last year, and found I love bird hunting. To many this is going to sound like a “dumb” question. Here goes…

I understand lab breeds alike are most popular for bird hunting. But me being an animal lover AND always rooting for the underdog(no pun intended) ha. Why can’t I get a dog (puppy) that needs a home and get it trained and spend more time working with it than what’s typically routine…?
    I’m not saying I wanna train a yorkie or lap dog. I was thinking more full size dog maybe pit bull?(yeah I know…) I happen to love those dogs, owned one once and never personally never had anything but love from them. Figure I should give a dog a chance?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m not saying it can’t be done. However, just like having your own child, they learn so much in the first months for obedience. Then figure in natural instinct.

But there are a lot of great dogs each year that are a christmas gift, birthday present, and only to find out it wasn’t a good fit for the family. Then they scramble to find a home or dump it off at the humane society.
    Do a little research and narrow down the breed of dogs your looking for along with certain traits you want. When the right opportunity comes along – jump on it. Dogs are social order creatures and just need to learn their place. From there, the right breed with the right traits will bring you years of a faithful companion

Pete S

I would say it depends on what you are hoping to get out of the dog. Some breeds (labs, pointers, setters, spaniels) are wired to hunt. If I took my lab and a pitbull into a field full of birds, mine would be coming out of her skin, not sure the pitbull would see it more than a walk in annoyingly tall grass. I’m all for rescue dogs and believe it’s a great cause, however if you’re looking for a dog to hunt it’s my opinion to get a breed that is wired for it. There is only so much you can teach a dog. The built in drive/instinct of a hunting breed can’t be taught.

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

Good point both thank you! Yes. Honestly I want a dog that’s a family dog myself. But can also be a good hunting dog.

I heard the quote “the only way to train a hunting dog is with a 2×4” please tell me that isn’t true. If that’s what the trainer does I can’t go through with that. So that’s why I want a dog that if it doesn’t hunt. That’s fine. He/she will be a good snuggle buddy & family member, either way. I just don’t particularly want a lab-ish type of dog. But would love it the same if it happened to be the case

Thank you guys.

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

I don’t bird hunt but have had a couple “pitbull” type dogs (there is no pitbull breed, just different varieties of bulldog). Right off I think you’re fighting physical abilities. They are very strong dogs but don’t have much endurance. All that strength comes at a price. They also are not very tolerant of cold weather. Neither of my dogs had more than a 1/2″ of hair and didn’t handle subfreezing weather. I’ve also never seen one that could swim particularly well. They can also be a bit stubborn and training ours have been challenging. I do agree that they are fantastic dogs (in the hands of the right person) and unfortunately the rescues are loaded with them. They get a bad rap mostly because of idiot owners.

You do see a lot of bulldog/lab mixes in the shelters and maybe a compromise would get you closer to a hunting dog.

saddletramp

The 2×4 is true. It’s used on the trainer/owner.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The 2×4 is true. It’s used on the trainer/owner.

waytogo jester doah I’ve met a few that needed a 2 x 10

Britneys are great family dogs, good natural instincts for upland birds. English setters also.
    I’m no expert on training dogs and only relate it to the 5 that I have had. Time and consistency. If your not consistent and don’t make the time to work with them, don’t have one.

Pete S

I heard the quote “the only way to train a hunting dog is with a 2×4” please tell me that isn’t true.

I agree with saddletramp, it’s usually owners that need the 2×4, the dogs are only doing what they are being taught or in most cases, getting a way with what they haven’t been taught. If the time is being put in at home on obedience and have a dog that is well behaved, that usually translates into the field. There are no short cuts but if you put in the time and build a bond with the right dog you’ll have a partner for (his/her) life.

Dogs are a lot like raising a kid, when you hear a person say “kids these days..” in disgust, I usually look at who’s raising that kid. This is often the same for the guy who’s screaming at his dog all day in the field

chamberschamps
    Mazomanie, WI

Before pitbulls were labeled kid killers, they were called nanny dogs for the close relationships they develop with kids. We must have got one of those.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20150408_114637.jpg

2. IMG_20141130_104819.jpg

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

Very VERY! Good point. Chamberschamps. Water and endurance. And yes the only experience I’ve had with pits alike are the nanny types. Awesome. Beautiful dogs!

Yea! And brittneys are sweet I had one growing up. Good call.

Also. Glad we’re on the same page about how training should be done. Thank god! Crushed my heart when I heard that. Thank you! Now I’ve got good IDO ammo to back that up.

I remember when I was a little nugget my dads friend had a dog that was always outside and he wouldn’t let me pet it because it was a “hunting dog”
    Yea… All I heard was pet and play when no ones looking. And no one knew the difference. ;)

Seriously. You guys are big help

Pete S

My philosophy has always been is I’d like to have a dog I can hunt with 10-20 days a year and the other 345 days she’s the family pet.

4walleye
    Central SD

The one thing that all hunting dog trainers will agree on is that you can never put the prey drive into a hunting dog. They are either born with it or will not have. Your best chances are going with dogs that have been bred for those traits.

The other thing to remember is that pointing dogs in particular are athletes and require daily exercise. If they don’t have this release they will find it other ways, and usually in a negative way.

Another important aspect of early training is socializing i.e. exposing them to people, experiences and situations. with proper socializing you will have a bold, confident dog, that can function as a family pet and a hunting partner.

Most people do not understand how dogs learn and respond to training. First and foremost you need to be the pack leader, if not the dog will assume that role. When you watch Caesar, on Nat Geo 9 out of 10 dogs he has to deal with, the owners are weak pack leaders.

I was told by one breeder that GSP don’t make good family dogs. Nothing can be further from the truth. They can make excellent indoor dogs, mine know its time to go to work (pure enjoyment for them) when the hunting gear comes out and we head for the pickup.

saddletramp

This thread is putting a lump in my throat. 2 yrs ago I had to put my 15 yr old gsp down. Still a huge hole in my life. Best partner I’ve ever had.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Anything could happen, but most likely you’d be disappointed by putting time, effort and money into trying to make a non-hunting breed, hunt.

What has to be appreciated is that as others have mentioned, you cannot train hunting drive, a nose for game, and the instinct to use it.

I think many think of hunting dog breeds as something that has always existed in their present “purebred” form. In fact, there is no such thing as a “purebred”. Dogs were bred to other dogs deliberately for hundreds and perhaps over a thousand years. The main purpose of this breeding was to produce a better hunting dog because at the time this all started, hunting with dogs was the ONLY hunting that existed.

So by taking on a non-hunting breed, you’re essentially skipping hundreds of years of improvements and going out on your own.

Grouse

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

It costs the same amount of money to feed, train, vet bills etc etc. If you have a good pure breed or a Heinz 57 mut. The cheapest thing you do is buy the dog. Cause over the next 10 or so yrs. you will be spending a Lot of $$$ on that dog weather it is free be dog or $500 dog or more. So the bang for my buck is buy a good pure breed dog.! That is a good or should be family dog an hunting breed. All I ever have trained is labs an they fit my bill just right. For a family an a hunting dog.. . You will have a better time an more fun an satisfaction with a good hunting dog breed than with a mut.
    1. if you get a hunting dog breed an you want to train it right. It will cost you time. 2. The ONLY GOOD GOG IS A TRAIND DOG. 3. What I have found with people new to the hunting dog game, it is way EZer to train the dog than is to train the OWNER.!!!!!!!!! . Whatever you decide GOOD LUCK.! … rrr PS Start with a puppy an pickup the pup when it is 49 days old. More to come latter. Time for EJ.!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“What’s a GSP?”

Ask my daughter about German Shorthairs. Wonderful dogs. They’re enthusiastic hunters and make great pets. I started doing a little bird hunting last fall with her over her two dogs and it was fun watching them work a field.

I am as far from being an expert on this subject as you’ll ever find, but it seems to me that a dog that is part of a family will be happier, better socialized, and listen to you better than a dog that is locked in a kennel all day.

SR

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t have a lot to add, but I am prepping for my first hunting dog. Our previous dog was a Great Dane, and let me tell you that he had a very successful career as in rally obedience competition, he was athletic, and he was a fantastic therapy dog. After all the training I did with him, though, I could not get that dog to retrieve anything!!!! I think you could get lucky and get a non-traditional dog to hunt, but if you want to hunt with it, I think you’re best off to hedge your bets and buy a hunting breed. If you’re set on rescuing a dog, look into breed-specific rescues. You should be able to find a good dog.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I am as far from being an expert on this subject as you’ll ever find, but it seems to me that a dog that is part of a family will be happier, better socialized, and listen to you better than a dog that is locked in a kennel all day.

Thankfully, I think a lot of that, “you can’t keep a hunting dog inside” bull crap is finally dying.

huskerdu

The satement ” you can’t put the hunt in a dog, but you can take it out of dog” is true!
    I have seen 1000.00 dogs that were great house dogs, but would not hunt.
    Spend the money on a good dog with a guarantee and you will be a lot happier in the long run.
    You can find good house dogs at a shelter, good/great hunting dogs come from breeding and you get what you pay for, due the research on past litters.
    Life is to short to be frustrated with a dog I the field.

coleycrawler
    Minneapolis

49 days old. I want the leader of the pack. And all this and now that i can have a dog. I’m getting one. And if it doesn’t take that’s ok. When I said I did bird hunting last year it was grouse. So I just found out by RRR…
    Just trying to keep the family happy. Dogs are special to me. Just want to make A decision based on all your experiences and expertise. I’ve gotten more than I could ask for. Thank you.

I’m not trying to get a “deal” on a dog for monetary reasons. I honestly just want a dog that needs a happy home. And like you’ve all mentioned, I’ll find a breed that has the capabilities of being a hunting dog.
    Dang this is great feedback thank you!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Don’t get stuck on 49 days. That comes from an old training series by Richard Wolters. Training methods have advanced, and my belief is that 7 weeks is too young.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I agree with most of the prior points, my addtl 2 cents.
    1. Don’t be scared of a rescue, but definitely get a hunting breed (or mix with the hunting breed predominant) if you want it to hunt.
    2. You (or one person) needs to be the alpha. This doesn’t take a 2×4 but it does take discipline and consistency. Without both out of the master, you could have the Best genes and it won’t matter.
    3. The dog will (or won’t) hunt regardless of What you do. Your job is to be the boss and enable its natural abilities. The best dog I’ve ever hunted over was a 3 yo yellow lab (poss mix) my family rescued. It just had “it”. I’ve hunted over gsp’s and labs from the best breeders and trainers that couldn’t hold a candle to that dog.
    4. I’m extremely biased by having labs my entire life….however imho there is not a better all around dog. My current Best friend will run all day chasing pheasants or grouse, sit in a blind or boat until the water and I Are frozen, and then come home and sleep on my feet or cuddle my wife. It just doesn’t get better!

mattgroff

i have 3 labs and they are awesome dogs for hunting and family. I keep them in the garage so my kids may not be attached to them like other people’s pets are but if you plan on doing any hunting weather it is upland or waterfowl. I would stay away from a pit. They might struggle with colder weather and some other elements of the outdoors. But to each there own. Good luck on what you pick and good hunting. Ps. Make sure you check with your homeowners ins to see if they will let you have a pit. Some companies won’t.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

What’s that old saying “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks”….I suggest that if you want to adopt and also get the benefit of a hunting buddy, that you consider getting on the internet – type in the name of the hunting breed you are considering and add the word “rescue”. I believe that you will find that there are quite a few groups of dog breed lovers that are trying to find a good home for these dogs. Consider that each breed has qualities you may like or not be able to use effectively for the type of hunting you choose.
    jim

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Don’t get stuck on 49 days. That comes from an old training series by Richard Wolters. Training methods have advanced, and my belief is that 7 weeks is too young.

…Ralph I have not read a dog training book many yrs. I know that dog training has changed a lot over the yrs. But for me I still train the old fashion ways not because it is better, but because it works for me an the dogs. … As far as the 49 days do you know has that theory changed or been proven right or wrong over the yrs.?? …. rrr Ps By the way one of my best lads name was RALPH

mojogunter

Springer spaniels make great pets and are outstanding field, brush dogs. They are pretty good at agility too.

Attachments:
    1. 20151222_202920.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I think most people think that “their” breed is the best. Researching is a lot of fun. You learn lots of interesting things about breeds.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

As far as the 49 days do you know has that theory changed or been proven right or wrong over the yrs.??

I don’t know that it’s right or wrong. If it works, it works. I’m just saying that there is more than one way to successfully train a dog, and starting at 8, 10, 12 weeks or later is not going to doom your success.

8 – 10 weeks seems to be a common age for breeders to let their pups go. Don’t discount the early lessons learned from momma a litter mates.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.