Small to Midsize Spotting Scope Recommendations

• gobbler
    Central, MN

I’ve been looking at spotting scopes lately and wanted to get some feedback from others about size, brand, price, and quality. I figured that I will be using it 2-4 times a week for the next month as I’m glassing for deer.

What do IdoHunting Members recommend?

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Whats the price range?

Do you want to digiscope with it?

Is weight an issue?

What power zoom are looking at?

johnee

As Hook mentioned, budget is a concern. When it comes to spotting scopes, it’s probably THE main concern because when it comes to hunting optics, this is the Budget Buster category.

Also, how much magnification do you need AND as related question what’s your goal? Are you just generally looking at deer, or are you trying to estimate mass and measure tine length? There’s a big difference in the quality of scope needed to do the former versus the latter.

Personally, my experience with spotting scopes can be summed up as go big or buy better binocs. In spotting scopes I have to say that German/Austrian glass is the go-to. And that comes at a price. There are a few sleepers out there in this category.

For a lot of hunting uses, I think many people would just do better to plow $300-$500 into a differnt pair of binocs rather than spend the same or more on a spotting scope.

Grouse

gobbler
    Central, MN

Quote:

Whats the price range?

Do you want to digiscope with it?

Is weight an issue?

What power zoom are looking at?

Great questions. I’m basically going to use this from the vehicle or sitting close to buildings from a .25-1 mile away. I don’t have any plans to bring it with me hunting (for now any way).

I really want something that is going to give me the best “bang for my buck.” Something in the $400-550 range. I know it’s not a ton of $$. I just get frustrated watching a couple of fields with deer at the far end and the racks will blend in with the background making it hard to see actual size.

Weight shouldn’t be an issue since it’s mostly from my truck.

Not sure what a digiscope is?

As for power. As much as I can get without sacrificing clear focus

Thanks

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

They make set ups for using your spotting scope to take pictures. A lot of bird watching people use them. I got a lot of information from bird watching forums.

I have a nikon 20-60 x 86mm prostaff. I think you can get those now around 600. It does alright for the amount that I use it but I paid over 850 when I bought it.

Where are you located? Ive got a pair of 12×56 binoculars you should try next to the scope..

Pm me if you want to meet up and give them both a try.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I picked up a Burris Xtreme Tactical Spotting Scope 25-75x 70mm for hunting. It was around $250 when I got it, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised with its clarity. I bought it for shooting prairie dogs and speed goats. So I wasn’t about to spend a grand on one to be slammed around in my backpack. Anyways, this one has taken a lot of abuse, and has held up very well. The down fall might be the angles eye piece when using in a truck

xts2575

johnee

IMO, this is as good as it gets in your price range: Minox MD-50. Available in both an angled eyepiece and a straight eyepiece version.

Minox is a German company that has been in industrial optics and cameras for almost a century. The MD-50 is a compact 16×30. While 30X is not considered to be “high magnification” as far as spotting scopes go, what makes the Minox a rare find is that even at 30X the resolution is very good. There are scopes out there in the same price range that have higher top-end magnification, but this is where the lower quality optics really show because the resolution just falls apart at the upper end of the mag range. Not so with the Minox.

I would think 20-30x would be enough for your needs at the stated distance. Also, IMO, top quality trumps poor optics with higher magnification. You can get a lot of 50-70x scopes, but if you find one that’s really useable at the top end in your price range, please let me know.

Currently there are open box models on sale at New York Camera Land at an unbelieveable price of $219. Yes, that price is correct. I’ve bought open box stuff from NYCL before and while it has certainly been handled, the full warranty is in place:

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=62225_62226

Grouse

gobbler
    Central, MN

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I’m heading to the local sports shop at lunch to look at a few and see the differences in magnification before making any decisions.

Grouse, I really like the review on the Minox MD 50. And the price is awesome. I read a few reviews and tests against other scopes in the same class and the reviews came back with the Minox on top. (To be honest I was very surprised).
    Thanks again for all the feedback.

johnee

Let us know what you end up with.

Spotting scopes really drive home the point that there is no cheating the system with optics. Good glass = big money.

Grouse

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Jay,

Do you have a digi scope adapter for your Minox?

johnee

I’ve never even looked to see if a digiscope is available for the Minox.

BTW, Minox rifle scopes are also Optilicious. Don’t get me started. . . I tried to convince Mrs. Grouse that compared to a Zeiss, the top end Minox is an absolute bargain. Moreover, the Euro is at a low point against the dollar, so hey, it’ll only get more expensive if I can’t get it now.

She shot it down. A really good try on my part, though.

Grouse

gobbler
    Central, MN

Guys-

I was just looking things over and I am leaning toward a middle of the road 60-65 mm spotter. I have read more than I care to admit about spotting scopes in the past couple of days. I just wish the Minox MD 62 ED came with an eyepiece and I’m pretty certain my search would be over.

As for the digiscoping thing with Minox. I’m pretty sure I read that there is an adaptor for the MD 62, not sure about the MD 50.

I want to mention another spotter that is catching my eye. It’s more than I said I was looking to spend earlier in the post but; Brunton ETERNA® Mid-Size Spotting Scope.

I currently own a pair of Brunton 8×42 Echo Binocs and love them. I could see myself buying one of these Spotters because they come with an eye pc, have BAK-4, nitrogen filled, and Multi-coated lenses. Plus, the reviews I have read come back with “above expectations for the price” remarks.

Just an fyi

johnee

Let us know if you buy one and how you find it.

The consistent issue I notice in most reviews of <$1000 spotting scopes is disatisfaction with the resolution at the top end of the magnification. As long as the top end magnification meets your needs, then good can certainly be good enough.

Grouse

gobbler
    Central, MN

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Brunton 62mm ETERNA® Mid-Size Spotting Scope. Found it on Amazon *Brand New for an unreal price. I included a pic and link to the Brunton website for specs. I feel I kinda cheated the rule a little on performance based on price. Just hope it lives up to the reviews. Also, I like to order off of Amazon for peace of mind. I will post my own review and let others know what I think after I receive.

http://www.brunton.com/collections/eterna/products/eterna-mid-size-spotting-scope-a

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.