Video

• fish509
    St. Michael

I want a new video camera with all the bells and whistles for hunting and fishing. I am sick of subpar equipment for the most important part of hunting and fishing. What camera, features, options and other pieces do I want. I look at the go pro machines and like it, but so much to learn. I want quality, options recording ets. Any help is appreciated. the machine has to be remotely operated as welll. What else am I forgetting?

gobbler
    Central, MN

I would stay away from the “Go Pro” type action camera unless you plan on filming yourself. The zoom isn’t very good for harvest shots and you would likely be disappointed. IMO

I have a couple of video cameras and neither of them fit the bill for what would be ideal. However, on the flip side, I didn’t spend a whole lot either. The better of the (2) was $1200 and I wish I would’ve spent more to get all the bells and whistles. Make sure to look at audio hook-up, Optical zoom, and lens. If you are planning on HD (which only makes sense), what type of recording do you expect? 1080i, 1080p? What frame rate are you going to record 30? 60?

To get all the bells and whistles plan on spending at least $3000 just for a camera that has a great low light lens with 20x Optical zoom. Then the extras like “good audio” components, extra batteries, memory cards, additional warranty and carrying case (just to name a few) will all add up.

Don’t forget that you will need a computer that can handle editing for your new camera. That is probably the biggest reason that I don’t get a nice camera. I don’t want to spend another $2000+ on a computer specific for video editing.

If price isn’t an issue, I would type in 2013 Prosumer Video Cameras and look at all the options that have at least 20x Optical Zoom with good audio reviews. Canon, JVC, and Sony all carry similar models and it will just come down to personal preference.

Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.