Best Camera for filming hunts??

• rangerski
    North Metro

Anyone have any personal experiences to share using a camcorder for self filming hunts. Looking to spend $600 for a cam? I realize during low light the $600 cam won’t cut it. Thanks in advance

abster71
    crawford county WI

depends what your needs are I was looking for something small just bought a JVC hard drive amazon 279.00 haven’t done much with it but should soot my needs.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I bought a SONY and it was around $800 I think… when I look now, they are around $600 got mine 2 years ago and it works good, as much as I have used it (very little) it has worked good

jorgy
    rochester

You can get used Canon GL2 for around 600 on ebay. They are great cameras for standard definition and are fairly good in low light conditions.Othrwise if you want to go with a smaller camera a Vixia or Everio are good cameras for people just getting started or P.O.V cameras. They both have full HD cameras for under 600.

rochy
    Arkansaw Wi

I am also thinking of filming hunts on a more serious level this year, I have a cheaper handycam, that looks like I have parkinsons when I watch it on TV. I have been looking at cameras lately and want to get the best camera for the buck, but also want it to be quality, was looking at the Gl2 or the sony vx 1000, or 2000. Dont want the HD at this time, but was kind of wondering what kind of zoom would be needed? Or anything else I should be looking for?

jorgy
    rochester

All three of those cameras are great. Most of my experience is with the GL2 that has 20 0ptical zoom. I’m not sure what the others have. Make sure to spend the money on a good camera arm that is most important. We can fix mistakes but you can’t fix the shaking. Muddy has a good arm also third arm makes a quality arm as well. It just depends on the size of your camera. Hopefully that helps.

gobbler
    Central, MN

Optical zoom is far more important then digital. In fact you shouldn’t even worry about digital. Most cameras that are above 10-12x optical are going to strart upping the cost of the camera. I have used a JVC the past couple of seasons w/ 10x optical HD and wish I had more, I just can’t afford to pay over $35-4000 to buy one. What i’m trying to say is get the best optical magnification w/ the best possible lens that you can afford. Also make sure that the camera is compatible w/ your computer. There’s nothing worse then spending more for the correct software to go with it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.