Humminbird head unit shutting off in rough water

• jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Recently my Humminbird head unit will shut off in rough water. It is secured properly to the boat dash. The trouble seems to be the unit attaching to the bracket. Sometime it will shut off while I am just pushing buttons on the unit. Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas of how to fix it?

Jeff Dyck

I have been experiencing similar power issues with my Helix 7 for the past 2 seasons. This past open water fishing season I had enough. It would power off even in a ‘walleye chop’ going from one spot to another. Through a lot of online forums, I tried bending a pin on one of the cables (to make a tighter fit), electrical tape around the bases of each cable and also tried cable ties – all without success.
    Recently, after discussing with a Millwright at work who is an avid fisherman, made some very simple retaining brackets for me, which utilize existing screw locations. These are not going to move! I’m excited to get out on the water in 2021.
    Hope this helps anyone else with similar issues.

Attachments:
    1. 4F2B7846-FC7B-4F15-A856-C5BB07771665.jpeg

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

That looks like a pretty good plan JD. My gen 1 does this all the time and doesn’t take a lot of chop. Might have to try something like this.

Umy
    South Metro

THat’s a great idea! I had that problem with my 89 Lund but my new 2019 Lund does not seem to have the problem but I know my cables were a lot tighter and almost “pinched” on the old one so any movement would have caused this.
    Was in Canada several times on rough water on Rainy with the new one and no problems but I copied this picture so I have a good reference to build my own should I need them – thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.