Humin bird trasducer rooster tail

• davey
    Itasca, Mn.

I recently installed a side imaging transducer on my pro v. The resulting rooster tail is excessive no mater where I set it so my question is weather anyone has dealt with this and can let me know what can be done.

Ryan Hughes

I had the same problem when I installed the HDSI transducer on my Crossover. I tried adjusting it a few times before just accepting that I was going to have to deal with it in some way. There are two ways to get around this. The first is to run a skimmer transducer (XNT 9 20 T) with a splitter going to your SI transducer. This will allow you to raise the SI transducer up so that it is out of the water when on plane. This option will also give you better bottom readings while on plane.

The next option is to make some sort of spray deflector shield which is what I ended up doing. I just made it out of a sheet of aluminum and attached it to the outside edge of the transducer board. Works well and really doesn’t look bad either. Definitely a cheaper solution.

sand-burr
    Grasston, MN

Just in case I will mention that there is a small plug in the back of the transducer that needs to be installed.
    Did you install this?

munchy
    NULL

The side imaging transducer is actually supposed to be installed a couple inches above the bottom of the boat. Doing so will prevent this, however it will also kill whatever high speed sonar you have. Which is why it is also recommended to install a high speed transducer at the proper height

91reddog

Just in case I will mention that there is a small plug in the back of the transducer that needs to be installed.
    Did you install this?[/

If it’s a true rooster tail, then the rear of the transducer is tipped down too far in the back. I’m betting it’s the opening where the plug goes that jetting the water up…

davey
    Itasca, Mn.

What does this small plug look like? Which tells you I didn’t install it of course.

munchy
    NULL

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2611.png

davey
    Itasca, Mn.

Thanks for the input . I called huminbird to see if a plug was available for my unit and it is not. so I will have to make my own deflector.

trouter18

Look at where the water is spurting up while on plane (mine was coming through the space between the hull and the transducer in the bracket). Wrap some electrical tape around the bracket… problem solved (until of course the tape comes off after a year or so, then repeat). I would think the spacer would probably work too…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The side imaging transducer is actually supposed to be installed a couple inches above the bottom of the boat.

Have you read the manual? It’s been a few years for me, but I do recall about 13 pages just on duecer install… Mount with duecer parting line flush to bottom of hull so duecer is skimming.

You only need to worry about the rooster tail when it is below 30° and your rod tips are in the spray zone )

Attachments:
    1. CameraZOOM-20170201170733487.jpg

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I cut a piece of styrofoam and shoved it in the gap and wrapped it with electrical tape to completely eliminate my rooster tail. It’s lasted years too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.