Hub Shelter Prep and Setup

• Sloth5202

When you guys setup your hub do you shovel the area where you are setting up or do you just setup on the snow? Does it matter if you are putting a floor down? In general what is your setup process when you found a spot you want to fish?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I usually setup on top of the snow with my floor. The snow serves to insulate

isu22andy

I usually set it up then think I should be about 30 yards one direction or the other . Never shovel or floor . Don’t camp in it either .

Hookset
    Southern MN

I usually set it up then think I should be about 30 yards one direction or the other . Never shovel or floor . Don’t camp in it either .

I’ll second that!

isu22andy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>isu22andy wrote:</div>

I’ll second that!

I keep debating going to a flip over , until I pull my buddies 100 lb flip over in a 6 inches of snow and it about kills me . I’m convinced there really isn’t a great options for moving around by foot quick .

Ripjiggen

Sure there is a good clothing plan and and a hub or pullover don’t care. Time saved on either is minimal. I fish till I find fish set up and then keep moving around. Fish areas similar size I would in my boat. No floor or shoveling for me. Maybe if I sat all day I would do a floor.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I leave the snow. It’s quieter and takes longer for the shack to result in a sloppy mess with the heater running. I also think the more work you make out of the moving process with your shack, the less likely you will move it or even set it up.

I put up an Otter hub then bomb around and just fish in it every 30 minutes or so to warm up…unless it’s downright brutal out then I hunker down in there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Don’t shovel, you need the snow for traction.
    If it’s really windy set a stake before you start popping up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I leave the snow. It’s quieter and takes longer for the shack to result in a sloppy mess with the heater running. I also think the more work you make out of the moving process with your shack, the less likely you will move it or even set it up.

I put up an Otter hub then bomb around and just fish in it every 30 minutes or so to warm up…unless it’s downright brutal out then I hunker down in there.

Same I do. And if it’s windy the most I’ve ever used is 3 ice anchors. For my otter resort

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Never shovel no floor. I’m here to fish for a few hours not camp out all weekend. I set hub up first, then drill holes

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Set up shelter,
    drill holes,
    flatten the ice chips,
    put my flooring down,
    bring in rest of equipment and fish.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Lots of people have chimed in on your original question, but wanted to throw out a shameless plug for the Deep Freeze EZ Anchors. I can quick connect/disconnect from my auger and pop these anchors in two seconds without touching the chuck on my drill. Yeah, they cost more than a standard ice anchor, but they are unbelievably handy when running a hub.

https://www.deepfreezefishing.com/product/ez-anchor/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.