Hub Shelter Must Haves

• lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I purchased a Eskimo Outbreak Hub shelter I am wondering what things like attachments or pop up tables etc… that people think are must haves. One thing I have looked at are the rod holders that attach to the support poles…

Anything else people use that think are very functional/important.

Thanks in advance.

Deuces

Disco ball.

After a few beers and the radio drops that kc and the sunshine on you you’ll thank me.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Coat hooks from the roof. Figure out lighting to hang from there also.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I run a hub, but haven’t perfected my lighting situation when I stay put in a spot after dark. What does everyone use for some controlled, moderate light? I’ve tried the lights that hang above and think they’re too bright.

I cannot stand bright lights that nearly burn my eyes. I also do think on early ice when you have minimal snow and are fishing under 10′ of water that lights will keep fish away.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i hang one of these in the center of my hub. has hooks built in and lights it up nicely and battery life lasts a long time. The brightness can be adjusted on them which may be beneficial for you bucky. if you keep an eye out can find them on sale for $20

https://www.rei.com/product/839966/black-diamond-voyager-lantern

if im planning on camping in the pop up i bring a small plastic table that has removable legs. packs away nice. i couldnt find a link but ive seen them at home depot for like 5 bucks. If i think of some other things ill write again

Deuces

Not a fan of hanging lights, when the wind blows they dance around too much, which completely contradicts my earlier statement.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

The drill adapter for the anchors is a must-have for me.

For lights I run the Otter strap lights connected to a 12V battery. By design, they work great, by build quality, they leave some to be desired. I also have/do use hanging camping lanterns that are compact and long lasting.

I also believe light is a limiting factor in shallow water, so investing in high quality glow/light up bobbers are essential. Venom work well for me as well as the JB Lure 10″ bobbers.

A clip on fan to circulate heat is always nice.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use two of the Frabil 4 bulb led lights that attach with a velcro strap. They are cheap and work pretty good.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I use two of the Frabil 4 bulb led lights that attach with a velcro strap. They are cheap and work pretty good.

i have one of those too and they work well

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

X2. Buy a couple extra. Easy to lose track of.

-J.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For lights I run the Otter strap lights connected to a 12V battery. By design, they work great, by build quality, they leave some to be desired. I also have/do use hanging camping lanterns that are compact and long lasting.

I also believe light is a limiting factor in shallow water, so investing in high quality glow/light up bobbers are essential. Venom work well for me as well as the JB Lure 10″ bobbers.

A few years back we were pounding early ice crappies a couple hours after dark on a pretty popular spot on Pool 4. Nobody else was there, just myself and 3 buddies. 2 of us were in one shack with nothing but flashers and the occasional cap light, 2 others were in their hub with bright LEDs lit on the ceiling backlighting the whole thing nicely. We probably had iced 25 fish before they turned off their lights. We were in about 8-10′ of fairly cloudy river water with a bit of snow cover as well. I didn’t think the light would be an issue with snow cover and dirty water, but that night showed me differently. I haven’t fished URL a ton after dark from anything but skid shacks that were kept dark, but I’d have to imagine lighting up the portables there like daylight on early ice would have a negative impact too.

tornadochaser

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ganderpike wrote:</div>

A few years back we were pounding early ice crappies a couple hours after dark on a pretty popular spot on Pool 4. Nobody else was there, just myself and 3 buddies. 2 of us were in one shack with nothing but flashers and the occasional cap light, 2 others were in their hub with bright LEDs lit on the ceiling backlighting the whole thing nicely. We probably had iced 25 fish before they turned off their lights. We were in about 8-10′ of fairly cloudy river water with a bit of snow cover as well. I didn’t think the light would be an issue with snow cover and dirty water, but that night showed me differently. I haven’t fished URL a ton after dark from anything but skid shacks that were kept dark, but I’d have to imagine lighting up the portables there like daylight on early ice would have a negative impact too.

Most evenings I fish for walleye here in SD it’s in less than 6′ of water. No light, no noise. we’ve watched fish spook from noise or light numerous times on my buddy’s livescope.

Wildlifeguy

More of personal preference, as a dedicated sitter, but I always bring something along to get the heater up off the ice a bit, to try and minimize the slop hole that tends to form directly in front of it. Use a milk crate currently, which doubles for carrying crap out.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I run a hub, but haven’t perfected my lighting situation when I stay put in a spot after dark. What does everyone use for some controlled, moderate light? I’ve tried the lights that hang above and think they’re too bright.

I cannot stand bright lights that nearly burn my eyes. I also do think on early ice when you have minimal snow and are fishing under 10′ of water that lights will keep fish away.

I bought a cheap 10′ led light strip off amazon that I zip tied to the poles on mine. It also has a remote that I can dim, change colors, etc. Works good

grizzlyhackle
    Montana

Coat hooks from the roof. Figure out lighting to hang from there also.

I second this. Those velcro coat hooks are definitely on the top of my list. I think they are 8.99 for a two pack from scheels.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

There is an IDO ice video with Konnor Kleist where he brought them to a slough in Western MN for walleyes. They caught one on camera but left that spot for a different lake (slow fishing). Being familiar with that water myself, I think it was because of all the camera/lighting gear.

The walleyes move up shallow digging frogs and bullheads out of the cattail mud. If you are quiet, and fishing lights out, it is pretty insane fishing. One afternoon through 4″ of clear ice I could creep on top of these shallow fish foraging.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Rod holders that a normal person can reach when sitting on a chair.

Attachments:
    1. vmatxsls06_1272968687588-1-output_image1636052624633.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The “Milwaukee 2363-20 M18 LED Lantern/Flood Light” is hands-down the best ice fishing lantern in the world, if you already run Milwaukee batteries of course.

Can turn it to 360 degree lantern or 180 degree to keep the light from your eyes. Easily hangs from a hub shack pole. Durable. Has a USB port for charging devices. Has multiple settings and the light is not that typical blue LED color temperature, it’s much more “natural” and easier on the eyes.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

In terms of tables, etc. think about your use case. For me, the hub shack is for lightweight ice fishing- walking out, minimal gear, bringing a shelter just to be able to go in and warm up. I used to bring a small table that folded up like a captains chair and the best thing I ever did was ditch that idea.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I use a flip for fishing but hubs are no different than my pop up blinds. For both, I took a storage box like this, made a small compartment inside of it, and keep a 12ah battery. Installed a couple toggle switches and red and clear (White) LEDs.

Dual purpose. I store all my small Plano boxes in it and other misc stuff. Hit a switch and I have dim lights, bright lights, or very dim red. I love it in the flip because the floor. Blocks most of light from ice. In a hub, I would have a small piece of rug or something. I use a similar set up in my blinds.

Attachments:
    1. FF51673F-B136-4A43-BD80-BE55288FD47A.jpg

Sylvanboat

I use this combo fan & light that I can set on a table or hang from the ceiling. Takes up little space and uses batteries or USB recharge.

Attachments:
    1. B5BEB8AA-8DF8-42B0-981A-10010F066385.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I use this combo fan & light that I can set on a table or hang from the ceiling. Takes up little space and uses batteries or USB recharge.

I was thinking of getting one of those, is that one better than the clam version?

Ron Burgundy
    Utica MN

I use camping lights from Walmart. They ha e some small round ones that give a soft white light. Also a cheap green lantern from menards. Hang with velcro straps. A drill with a 1/4″ bit to drill a pilot hole for anchors. I have different styles of anxhors.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

[/quote]

I would not say negative at all. The headlamps been on since dark, the fish followed

Attachments:
    1. 20211207_183654-scaled.jpg

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I wouldn’t go with any pole mounted rod holders for a few reasons. Sure they look cute but how quick you gonna get one out to set the hook before your fish robs you? Usually the stupid rod gets caught in something and poof…fish gone. On windy days your hub will flop some no matter how well you stake it. So guess what else will flop? If I need to set my rod down, I just set it on the ice. Usually I ball up some snow and put my reel in it. Or I will set my rod resting horizontally in my 5 gallon bucket. No rod holders for this guy!

Ripjiggen

The “Milwaukee 2363-20 M18 LED Lantern/Flood Light” is hands-down the best ice fishing lantern in the world, if you already run Milwaukee batteries of course.

Can turn it to 360 degree lantern or 180 degree to keep the light from your eyes. Easily hangs from a hub shack pole. Durable. Has a USB port for charging devices. Has multiple settings and the light is not that typical blue LED color temperature, it’s much more “natural” and easier on the eyes.

X2

Sylvanboat

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Sylvanboat wrote:</div>

I was thinking of getting one of those, is that one better than the clam version?

I have never used the Clam version. I have a 2-person flip over so I don’t need much. Good luck.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.