how to get into hunting as an adult

• Go Spuds

Hey-long story short. ive never hunted outside of birds–id love to get into deer and other things but i wasnt a hunter growing up, my family just didnt do it–As an adult I coach HS Football so falls have always been busy–hopefully well into novemeber. I have a son (12) who wants to learn too and i feel like im dropping the ball if i dont get him out. I have guns-im a pretty avid fisherman/camper so im not a total yuppie–but IDK that id even know what to do with something if i shot it!!

Other prob is my friend group is more fisherman than deer guys–my goal is to be in the field next deer season. where to start??

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Other prob is my friend group is more fisherman than deer guys–my goal is to be in the field next deer season. where to start??

Talks with the kids on the team you coach, maybe one of their dads would be open to helping you. Join a hunting club, trap shooting club or even a local fishing club or sportsmen’s group and expand your network. Talk to a local butcher shop that takes in deer, they may be able to hook you up with a customer of theirs. They may even let you watch and learn the basics of processing a deer.

deertracker

Where are you located? Maybe Moorhead because of your user name?
    DT

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Not sure where you are located, but if you are in Minnesota, join the local MDHA(Minnesota deer hunters association). You will meet a lot of other hunters. Other hunters is the best place to start.

I totally agree with you that you are dropping the ball if you don’t get your kid into hunting, especially if he is interested.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I am in a pretty similar situation to you. Love the outdoors, bird hunting is my favorite thing in the world, but just never grew up in a family that deer hunted nor really had a lot of friends that did either. Just wasn’t a big deal where I grew up. Now as I get more and more into the outdoors I would love to add deer hunting.

I also did coach HS football for several years, and that was a small in for me. One of my players came from a big time hunting family, and he at least let me borrow a stand for the year and provided a lot of tips and would have hopefully been available to help if I shot one.

However, I am way into pheasant hunting with my dog, and between football and young kids, and only hunting public land, I just struggled to find the proper time to really put into it. I enjoy archery, so I tried early in the year before pheasant hunting. But quite frankly once that season opens I’d just rather be walking with my dog than sitting in a tree if I get the time.

I am extremely jealous of everyone that has family land or grew up in a family of hunters, or is enjoying time at a remote deer camp on a timeless tradition right now. Enjoy it!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Spuds, I think as a high school coach you may have half the battle won by maybe being able to find private land to hunt. Lots of farm kids’ parents will return a favor to you by letting you hunt while they deny others.

I’d say start reading hunting pages and magazines that have articles on deer more specific to your area….Minnesota = white-tails. Idaho = mule deer. Take late evening drives with binocs along so you can determine where deer concentrate during or just after deer season.

Pick out a couple of guns you’ll be using the next year and buy the slugs or ammunition you’ll need and start hitting the range on Saturdays or Sundays so the both of you get intimately aware of your guns and where they are shooting at a given range, say 100 yards. Now practice at random distances inside that 100 yards. Shoot a lot so when you pull the trigger on a deer its second nature to you.

Late winter is a great time to start looking for an actual place to hunt by simply stopping by and introducing yourself and your son if the people don’t already know you. Having a plat book can be a great aide too. Be neat looking, no smells of alcohol or smoke….you’re there to sell yourself. Once you’ve landed some permission make sure its ok for the two of you to hike in and scout around looking for deer sign from earlier in the fall, rubs are usually very visible and advertise that bucks are around. The more you become familiar with any property the more adaptable you can be in creating stand sites and adjusting your hunting to wind conditions each day.

Eyes on pages is good for learning terminology and getting some basic ideas in place but so much of what’s written has an underlying advertisement attached to it and one needs to be able to filter that crap out. Nothing will beat feet on the ground, as in walking the property and finding the travel corridors and secondary trails. Bedding locations can be viewed easily when there’s some snow. Having a topographical map of the area is a huge bonus to sit down to at night and study what you’ve seen first hand. Pick some stand areas, clean some lanes to shoot in. And one thing….once you know where the bedding area is and the trails that come and go from it, never go back into it. Ever. You’ll already know what you need from outside of it.

Then its hunt. Reading can help out a lot but nothing will replace or be better than first hand, on the spot, experience. Expect mistakes and learn from them, but most of all stay open in mind and have fun at it. You won’t learn everything in a season and will likely be learning for years to come but learning together can be a super good way to hold on to the boy for years down the road if this becomes tradition. When you’re gone, your son will have everything he needs to pass this tradition down to his children…hopefully.

Good luck at this!

Aaron Kalberer

Getting a location is in my eyes the hardest part, use your coaching background and connections to your advantage if you can. Watch, read, and listen to anything deer related, there is a lot of material out there to learn from. If you just want to get any deer, I would focus on habits of deer, food water bedding and get to know that well as you can focus on locations of where they go, and always try to determine why they are there. This is a great way to build a knowledge base.

If you are from the Moorhead area, Id be glad to sit down with you sometime and we can bounce ideas back and forth, I have had a lot of success at rifle hunting and have recently picked up the bow and learning more as I use this method, and very willing to share some knowledge of what I do know.

As Tom said, hands on experience will be your best teacher but doing as much research and learning before hand will at least get you pointed in the right direction. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this site that I am sure can help with any specific questions.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

One more thing from me. watch “the hunting public” on you tube. They have a great group of guys that hunt public land and have a wealth of knowledge. Their videos are incredibly informative.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

but IDK that id even know what to do with something if i shot it!!

There are plenty of videos online about how to field dress deer. Really, it’s not difficult to learn to do this and other than a few “don’t do’s” that could spoil meat, it’s easy enough to do a good basic job even your first time.

Then just find a good deer processor close to where you hunt and take the deer in to them. I admit I’m a total wuss in this regard, I just love getting back nice little freezer wrapped packages. I’m not one who enjoys or has the space to do my own butchering, so I’m perfectly happy to pay to get this step done.

Grouse

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I got my dad into hunting a couple years ago. Try to go out with some friends for the first few times, then start going with yourself and your son and learn the sport together! Best of luck.

-AW

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Finding a place to hunt is the largest hurdle. Especially for deer during gun season because its a short season and seems like a ton of people do it.

Hoyt4
    NULL

There was just a special on last night on Fox sports for Mn and Wi on introducing adults and no hunters into the sport. Man I missed it but I think you can contact either MN DNR or WI. The slipping numbers of hunters got this program going. They are targeting adults plus the kids but trying to get the adults who are interested in the sport.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I have self learned everything. My dad was never much of a sportsman. I was always interested in both hunting and fishing. Lots and lots of reading. Exploring the internet finding info on the animal or fish and then when the time comes I go wing it. Walk public land look at tons of maps, or go on the lakes and try to try a bunch of stuff till it works. I’ve been doing this about 10 years now and have been very successful. But I was a real slow learning process.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

After a few big game kills I got sick of paying people to process my deer and started researching that. Learned lots on you tube. Then I bought a grinder mixer and stuffer at a auction and now do 100percent my self and the guy I hunt with and it’s a very good feeling to do it all on your own.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.