It’s about that time of year when the Chain slows

• JoeMX1825
    MN

oh how I hate this time of year on the chain, water gets soupy and the fish go deep. Anyone have any good deep water spots for bass?

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I have had good success on Becker Lake, fish the deeper weedlines for summertime bass.
    Last week the water temp was near 80, and lots of bass were in the weeds at the 7-12′ depth.
    I caught a few on topwater frogs also.
    Not a lot of huge fish, but plenty in the 12-15″ range.

Good luck, and put ’em back for me!

JoeMX1825
    MN

yeah, Becker can be a good lake to fish because the fish are so condensed in the one area that has deep water. I’m more interested in Smallies…I’ll give a report after this weekend.

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I have had better success with the smallies on Rice and Koronis rather than the chain.
    I have boated some nice fish in the 18-20″ range over the years….lots of fun to catch!

I have also caught a few in Horseshoe near the 22 bridge and the current areas, but the fish ran a bit smaller.

Good luck this weekend!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Give the chain a few more years and it will surpass Koronis for Smallies.

bassnspear

I was out there this weekend, and found some fish in the river. Didnt get anythign elsewhere. Where do people fish on the chain? I dont want peoples spots, but just some background would be awesome.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I had my bestluck in Becker lake this past weekend, lots of numbers but nothing over 2 lbs. Jigging in the slop worked best. I’ll probably be focusing on Becker lake until the start of fall fishing.

bassnspear

I went up the river today. Had a few fish, but nothing big. Water is very stand, which im sure is like this al year long. Seems to me like the fishing is tought right now.

JoeMX1825
    MN

water clarity is good in the spring and fall, summer time gets the alge bloom and we also had hardly any precip and tons of hot sunny days…like the title says, Chain always slows down in summer.

JoeMX1825
    MN

was out this weekend and fishing was extremely slow….Caught only a few little ones, water levels are very low and all my shoreline structure is dry..Anyone else having any luck? I haven’t caught a smallie in about 3 weeks

bob schroden
    Cold Spring, MN

I was out as well with similar results.
    These are the dog days, I think the real action won’t be till the water cools off again.

It’s not that the fish are not there, they are just not real active like they were a few weeks ago.

We need to hope for some cooler weather and some VERY much needed rain.

riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

Even the cat fishing is slow. The cats have mostly spawned and spread out super shallow. Weeds, wood, docks, and bridges seemed to be hold fish. I have caught a few walleyes as well while trying for cats.
    We need rain bad!!!! Some current would help cat fishing.

bassnspear

I was out there a few days ago, and man your all right, its a tough bite right now. I cuaght alot of small fish, and also with the water so low, its tough to get to the good spots, where the fish where when the water was high.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m focusing about 90% of my time on the water in Becker Lake until fall comes around. With the lower water conditions, the fish are more condensed in the deep hole.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Only did a little fishing this past weekend due to the crappy Saturday weather. Bass are completely ignoring anything but soft plastics (put your spinnerbaits away until fall) I caught a decent 3+ lbs largemouth in East Lake of all areas while searching for a piece of my boat trim that flew off while heading down Ceder Island (If anyone finds a 6×6 inch flat piece of grey/black Carbon fiber plastic let me know) Ceder Island/Horseshoe have been pretty dead for me the past few weeks, I’ll be only focusing on Becker lake until the fall season starts up in a month. Water levels are still really really low, but this does allow me to see new structure I didn’t know existed before and I was even able to walk some shorelines and re-adjust some fallen tree structure.

bassnspear

so what your telling me is that if im planning a trip to come up there, wait till september.

Cuase from what im gettting out of your posts, its tuff fishing.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yes, in my experiance right now is tough fishing, I’m sure some of the locals have their “spots”, but summertime is never really good on the chain. Spring & fall on the other hand, look out!

bassnspear

so when do you think the chain will take off with a good bite!!

JoeMX1825
    MN

The water temps are still really high, this recent rain should help a bit though..I was out last weekend and caught several bass on plastics fishing extremely tight to cover. Fishing will start to get good in about 3 weeks…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.