Homemade Sourdough Bread

• ThunderLund78

First time trying this. Let me tell ya, it’s a PROCESS! But dang rewarding. Can’t wait to make some venison pastrami sammys with this – that is if I don’t just eat it all with butter. A coworker gave me a starter, really interesting stuff, you could go down a rabbit hole pretty quick with the science and history of sourdough.

Attachments:
    1. 20240319_142927-1-scaled.jpg

2. 20240319_181330-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ya got starter

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

looks great!! many years since I have that!!!! tastes great!!

ThunderLund78

Ya got starter

Just fed what was left today! It’s currently having a slow, leisurely meal in my fridge and will be due another feeding in about 5 days.

10klakes

Next you will be making the fancy designs on the tops of the loafs. Wife wants to start making it, we know zero things about it though.. got some learning to do.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Is that along the same lines as monkey bread?? Mom used to do that.

So how does it get its start??

ThunderLund78

There’s recipes online for creating your own starter, but a coworker portioned off some of her starter for me – you can essentially almost double it with every feeding if you want to, but I tend to take about a 1/2 cup of the starter mix it with fresh flour and water and throw the rest out and keep repeating the process. IF you keep it on the counter, it has to be fed daily, but you can keep it in the fridge, it slows the whole process down and feeding can be weekly. You only need about 100g of the starter for a loaf and the rest can be maintained and grown for the next batch. There’s bakeries in San Francisco that have been using the same living culture for 100s of years. They’re proprietary and some are kept under lock and key.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is that along the same lines as monkey bread??

Monkey bread is cut up biscuits and a ton of sugar and butter to make it basically like a carmel roll. My mom and her friends used to make Amish bread that was a starter that was passed forward.

I haven’t gone down the Sourdough rabbit hole yet, and not sure I want to…but if I did where would you recommend to start?

Baitwaster
    South metro

Oh boy TL – next time the trucks are backed out and the door is open, ill know to stop!

CaptainMusky

Yeah its nothing like monkey bread. Amish bread is what he was thinking of. I believe we still have some starters frozen in our fridge for like 15 years.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I haven’t gone down the Sourdough rabbit hole yet, and not sure I want to…but if I did where would you recommend to start?

I recommend Foodgeek. He likes to do experiments with different methods for making sourdough to identify the if certain steps are really necessary or not. He also tries various hacks to see if they work.

His site is horribly plagued with annoying ads like any recipe site but I also recommend his YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/@Foodgeek?si=CzWSnR5mE_qPCGF7

This site won’t let me post his website so you’ll have to google it.

Jimmy Jones

A gallon of water, some flour and yeast and a couple dead sunfish. Let this work for a couple weeks, then add a couple more dead sunfish and some more flour. Keep in a warm spot so the sunfish can soften up a bit.

ThunderLund78

Happy to give you some starter along with a sheet that tells you what to do with it… I don’t think we live too far apart, happy to meet you for a beer and/or burger and give it to you. Once I had the starter, I just followed a basic internet recipe. It’s not that it’s complicated at all, but it takes time. It’s like smoking a brisket. You don’t just do it, you got to plan when you want to eat it and then back-out your timeline. But MAN is it good.

ThunderLund78

Oh boy TL – next time the trucks are backed out and the door is open, ill know to stop!

Haha, swing in any time!

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

A gallon of water, some flour and yeast and a couple dead sunfish. Let this work for a couple weeks, then add a couple more dead sunfish and some more flour. Keep in a warm spot so the sunfish can soften up a bit.

Ok I’ll bite. You for real? shock

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol now thats funny Jimmy!!!!

naw John its not real. smash devil him and i have been going back and forth about crappies and sunfish for like 25 years!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>
    Is that along the same lines as monkey bread??

Monkey bread is cut up biscuits and a ton of sugar and butter to make it basically like a carmel roll. My mom and her friends used to make Amish bread that was a starter that was passed forward.

thats what makes it taste so darn good……all the sugar and butter! waytogo woot jester

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

naw John its not real

Yeah I figured. They both eat good what’s to debate other than I like cleaning the crappies a little better and sunfish taste a little better for sure.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.