Home weather stations

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve seen several online anywhere from $70 all the way to the low $500’s. They measure temp, wind, humidity ect, ect.
    Anybody have a good one they like that has held up well? Are they worth the money? Up here on the tundra it’s fun knowing what the weather is doing outside without going out in it. Looking out the window can only tell you so much.

Thank you.

Coletrain27

I have one and it works awesome. It’s called a cell phone it even tells me what the weather is gonna be like tomorrow lol

Iowaboy1

I used to have one made by Davis instruments here at home and it worked very well and lasted about ten years before the bearings went out of the anemometer and it seized up.
    I did not have the one that measured rain and my next one will have that capability.
    One thing it took me a bit to figure out was the kind of battery to use in the piece that was outside, when it got ten degrees or less the battery would die and it would quit transmitting until it warmed back up the next morning.

Due to the battery issue my next weather station will be hardwired.
    Accu-rite is another good unit but I liked the Davis instruments one better.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

My old Davis lasted 17 years, it had a solar panel so the battery lasted a long time until the capacitor went out. My new one has spikes on the top of the rain bucket to keep the birds from using it as a toilet

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have one and it works awesome. It’s called a cell phone it even tells me what the weather is gonna be like tomorrow lol

rotflol
    Rodworks wife calls that a “hand held computer”

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve seen several online anywhere from $70 all the way to the low $500’s. They measure temp, wind, humidity ect, ect.
    Anybody have a good one they like that has held up well? Are they worth the money?

I have one of the lacrosse models that has both wind speed and direction and measures rainfall. I would say wind speed and direction is what I reference as much as temperature because that has the biggest impact on outdoor activities.

Obviously you can get this information from an app but rainfall especially varies a lot in just a few miles. My station is Wi-Fi enabled so I can check on conditions at home when we are away. This gives me a lot of peace of mind because for example I was away this summer with the family and saw we had a 4-in rainfall event. I was able to phone the neighbor immediately and have him go and check that my sump pump was running and that there was no other water issues.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The high-end weather stations are cool. The data is fun to see and helps especially with only vague reporting in more rural areas.

With all that said, weather applications on devices are pretty useful. You can also pin different websites as icons on your iphone screen to create shortcuts to any weather tool imaginable. In the winter I pin the European Weather models to my phone as they have proven to be the most reliable for future winter storms.

I can still walk outside and look at my rain gauge for precipitation as I’m outside more than I am inside at home.

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

I am sitting at the lake place reading this as I was looking at my LaCrosse weather station. This is the model: https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-V40A-PRO-INT-Professional-Weather/dp/B07VNP2HFB/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3FLJJODUKUULT&keywords=lacrosse+weather+stations+wireless+indoor+outdoor&qid=1664210813&sprefix=lacrosse+weather%2Caps%2C425&sr=8-6
    It is hooked to the internet and I can check up on the current conditions from anywhere. The rain gauge seems pretty accurate but because I am in the woods below a hill, the wind speeds are suspect.

Umy
    South Metro

I have one and it only cost me $80 grand – 4 years of college and he is a Meteorologist!
    Ask him what the weathers gonna be and all he says is ” I don’t know, I’m not working our area” ???????

marineman

I’ve had this one for a couple of years now & very happy with it:

Ambient Weather 2902C

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.